Episode 9

This week’s episode begins as QUINTON and ALEXIS have just arrived at ALEXIS’ house.

ALEXIS - You coming in for a few?

QUINTON - Sure. Can’t turn down an invitation from a beautiful lady!

(ALEXIS smiles as she unlocks her door.)

ALEXIS thinks - Good thing I took all those damn pictures of Bobby down!

ALEXIS - Come on in.

(They enter ALEXIS’ place.)

QUINTON - Nice place.

ALEXIS - Thanks. Make yourself comfortable while I check my messages. The remote is right over there on the table.

QUINTON - Oh good, my favorite thing. The remote!

ALEXIS - Oh gosh! I see who will be in charge of the remote in this relationship!

QUINTON - Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

(QUINTON sits down and turns the tv on.)

QUINTON thinks - I can’t believe she just said relationship!

ALEXIS thinks - I can’t believe I just said relationship.

(ALEXIS walks into her bedroom and sees that she has three messages on her answering machine. She turns the volume down low and presses play.)

ANSWERING MACHINE - Lexi this is Bobby. Please call me as soo...

(delete)

ANSWERING MACHINE - Alexis, please talk to me...I know you’re there...I’m not...

(delete)

ANSWERING MACHINE - Hey it’s me again...I just wanted to tell you that...

(ALEXIS reaches for the delete button.)

ANSWERING MACHINE - ...I found out that Trina was lying...she isn’t pregnant at all.

(ALEXIS listens.)

ANSWERING MACHINE - ...She was just saying that to get us to break up. This may not be a consellation prize but I am very relieved. I hope you are too...I just want to talk to you...let’s not end things...(beep).

ALEXIS thinks - Trina isn’t pregnant?

(ALEXIS thinks about BOBBY.)

ALEXIS thinks - Oh shit! Trina isn’t pregnant! Oh man!

(ALEXIS presses rewind and play again.)

ANSWERING MACHINE - Hey it’s me again...I just wanted to tell you that I found out that Trina was lying...she isn’t pregnant at all. ...She was just saying that to get us to break up. This may not be a consellation prize but I am very relieved. I hope you are too...I just want to talk to you...let’s not end things...(beep).

(ALEXIS slowly walks back out of her bedroom in a daze.)

ALEXIS thinks - I know this doesn’t change the fact that he slept with her, but why do I feel so different? I can’t believe Trina isn’t pregnant.

(ALEXIS stops walking.)

ALEXIS thinks - Trina isn’t pregnant!

(ALEXIS walks to where QUINTON is sitting in front of the television.)

QUINTON - Hey...

(ALEXIS is startled.)

ALEXIS thinks - Oh man! I forgot Quinton was even here.

QUINTON - You sure have a funny way of taking photos with Alphas that you don’t know.

ALEXIS - Huh?

(QUINTON opens the photo album that ALEXIS had on the shelf amongst her books. He flips through several pictures of ALEXIS and BOBBY.)

QUINTON - I thought you said you didn’t know any Alphas?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our scenes change and we find OCTAVIA on the phone with JUNE.

JUNE - Spec, I really don’t know what to do. My mind is saying one thing and my heart is saying another.

OCTAVIA - I always say June that emotion and reason don’t mix. They never will, and that is the way that God created us. When you follow your heart, you’re not always thinking rationally. Now this can be wonderful if the other person reciporcates those feelings. But if the other cat is shady, a lot of pain will follow.

JUNE - I know.

OCTAVIA - So all I am saying is be careful.

JUNE - Well how do I know which little voice I am following?

OCTAVIA - It is hard to tell. Sometimes the best thing to do is have someone close by who is impartial. They can cut through the bullshit faster because they can see it a mile away.

JUNE - Ok you’re hired.

(OCTAVIA laughs.)

OCTAVIA - Ok fine. I always got your back regardless.

JUNE - I know.

OCTAVIA - You may not always like what I have to say. Because if you decide to follow your heart and I think that Derrick is just leading you on, then I will tell you that.

JUNE - But honestly spec, that is what I will need. On the real.

OCTAVIA - Ok.

JUNE - It’s like he is really trying hard to get back with me now. He is doing things that he didn’t even do when we were together.

OCTAVIA - Really?

JUNE - Yeah. Like bending over way backward for me. It’s cool but shocking.

OCTAVIA - You have to be careful of that though. It could all be a front to get back in, and then the same old Derrick shows back up.

JUNE - Think so?

OCTAVIA - Most def.

JUNE - I’ll be careful.

OCTAVIA - Good. Are you ready to step over to the meeting?

JUNE - Yeah. I am ready to leave now.

OCTAVIA - Keep your fingers crossed about what goes down.

JUNE - I have been praying that nothing bad happens to the chapter.

OCTAVIA - Me too.

JUNE - I just don’t understand everything yet. Like the politics and stuff.

OCTAVIA laughing - You will.

JUNE - Ok I guess, see you there.

OCTAVIA - Bye spec.

(OCTAVIA and JUNE hang up. OCTAVIA grabs her jacket and walks out the door.)

OCTAVIA thinks - I hope things work out with June. I don’t know if Derrick is the best thing for her right now, but I can’t just come out and say that. I will have to take my time in getting that across to her.

(OCTAVIA walks outside and heads toward the campus for the meeting.)

OCTAVIA thinks - I wonder how this whole thing is gonna go down. I am honestly scared to death.

(OCTAVIA walks a little further and then stops when she hears her name called out. She turns around.)

DONTE - Hey Soror!

OCTAVIA - Hey frat!

(OCTAVIA and DONTE hug.)

OCTAVIA thinks - Damn, what is his name again?

DONTE - How you doing?

OCTAVIA - Fine. How about yourself.

DONTE - Oh I am good. I saw your three girls on the yard when they did their greetings. Yall did a good job with them.

OCTAVIA thinks - Yeah, three plus one!

OCTAVIA - Thanks! I saw your three also. Congrats on the new guys.

DONTE - Yeah, those knuckleheads are alright with me!

OCTAVIA - When did you pledge frat? I can’t remember.

DONTE - I almost can’t remember either! Ha ha ha ha ha! But trust me, it was before you got to Ahpla.

OCTAVIA laughing - Ok then, so we will just leave it at that.

DONTE - So where you headed?

OCTAVIA - First chapter meeting with the new girls. This should be interesting.

OCTAVIA thinks - To say the least!

DONTE - Oh that’s good shit. Good luck, they probably won’t know what hit em!

OCTAVIA - Yeah, I know. Thanks. See ya later.

(OCTAVIA turns to leave.)

DONTE - Hey Octavia.

(OCTAVIA turns back around.)

DONTE - Listen, I was wondering, if you weren’t doing anything afterward. Maybe we could hook up and go to the diner or something.

OCTAVIA thinks - What in the world does your old butt want to go to the diner with me for?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MONA and MIRI are sitting outside. She is helping him gain inspiration for his poem but she only has fifteen minutes to get to the AKA meeting or all charges are dropped against the chapter.

MINUTE 1

(MONA reaches into her book bag and pulls out a pad of paper and a pen.)

MONA - Ok here we go. You ready?

MIRI - If you think this will help, good luck. I don’t usually get into a rut.

MONA - Stop being negative. You’ll just write your way out of it. Ready?

MIRI - Shoot.

MONA - Roses are red...ha ha ha ha, just kidding.

MIRI - You’re silly.

MONA - Ok seriously. What about this moment right now inspires you?

(MIRI looks around campus.)

MIRI - Let me tell you. When I was young, I would spend the summers in north carolina at my grandmother’s. Me and my cousins. So you know how little kids hate to go to bed right?

MINUTE 2

MONA - Yeah?

MIRI - Well one night, we stayed up talking all night. As we started to get real tired and started to fall asleep one by one, I noticed that the sun was coming up. So I walked to the front porch to watch it.

MONA - Ok.

(MONA writes down, sunrise in North Carolina.)

MIRI - But here is the crazy part. In north carolina, I guess at whatever part we were in, when the sun comes up, it looks just like the morning light is rising and pushing the night time up as it rises. There is like a perfect line between day and night.

MONA - Really?

MIRI - It is amazing.

MINUTE 3

MONA - So if you look at it, you see this fine line where morning and night meet and it makes this...color. This funny looking color.

(MONA writes down, the color from night to day.)

MONA - Uh huh.

MIRI - It isn’t funny looking in the sense that you would laugh at it. But moreso it was a color that I really can’t describe because I had never seen it before.

MONA -Was it like in the blue family?

MIRI - No. More like a hazel kind of color. I guess if you mix a real light color and a semi dark midnight color. It was a hazel brown.

(MONA writes down, hazel brown color, never seen before, beautiful color.)

MONA - This is good stuff. Keep talking.

MINUTE 4

MIRI - So I run inside to get my grandmother but of course she was too tired to get up and see it. She had just really fallen asleep from fussin’ at us for staying up so late and laughig so loud in the middle of the night.

(MONA laughs.)

MIRI - All my cousins were passed out, so they couldn’t see it either.

(MONA writes down, the only witness.)

MIRI - So I went back out to the front yard...

MINUTE 5

MIRI - ...and I looked up. It was the prettiest thing I had ever seen. And I truly marvelled at the hand of God. I really did. At that young age.

(MONA stares at MIRI.)

MONA - Wow.

(MONA writes down, marvelled at the work of God.)

MIRI - God moved midnight out the way by morning just for me to see. Or so I thought at eight years old!

(MONA laughs.)

MINUTE 6

MIRI - So anyway, I never saw that happen again. I have watched plenty of sunrises since then. But there is something about being in north carolina, in that particular city. Maybe it is the position of the state in the united states and the angle in which you see the sky at sunrise. But whatever it is, I thought I would never see that color again.

(MONA writes down, has never seen the beautiful mystery color since.)

MIRI - But I was wrong.

(MONA stops writing and looks at MIRI.)

MONA - What do you mean you were wrong?

MIRI - I thought I would never see that color again for as long as I live. But I was wrong.

MONA - You were? When did you see it?

MIRI - Just now.

MONA - Where?

MIRI - In your eyes.

MINUTE 7

APRIL whispers - Ok I have seven minutes and counting. But I don’t want to look anxious.

PJ - Don’t count the minutes girl. If you do that, they will drag and take forever.

APRIL - Well what the hell am I supposed to do to get my mind off of this?

PJ - Let’s talk about something. Before you know it, eight more minutes will go by.

APRIL - Cool! So what you want to talk about?

PJ - Oh I don’t know...how you been?

APRIL - Good, good. Thanks for asking.

PJ - Your welcome.

APRIL - How have you been?

PJ - I can’t complain.

(silence)

(APRIL looks at her watch.)

APRIL whispers - Shit! It’s only eight minutes!

MINUTE 8

MONA - What did you say?

MIRI - The way that you are sitting now, you are facing the sun. The sun is going down now and at first there was a shadow on your face.

(MIRI turns around.)

MIRI - Yeah see, the sun was hiding behind the Pearl clock tower. But when it peeked out it hit your face and your eyes lit up. That is what made me think of that story in the first place. Just by seeing your eyes, I was taken back to eight years old.

(MONA is just staring back at MIRI.)

MONA - Miri...that is so sweet.

MIRI - Not sweet, true.

(silence)

MINUTE 9

(MONA goes to write something down and MIRI grabs the pen. MONA looks up.)

MIRI - Give me the pad.

(SOROR BERGEN walks over to SOROR FERGUSON.)

SOROR BERGEN - Melinda, would you have a problem if the charges against the chapter were dropped?

SOROR FERGUSON - Not at all. I wish I had taken a different roll in this process from the beginning. I see how Mona’s respect level is and I don’t like it one bit.

SOROR BERGEN - I understand. You understand that I only had to follow procedure and protocol. Nothing personal.

SOROR FERGUSON - Of course. I just can’t believe she would blow off such an important meeting. Not only is the status of the chapter at stake, but this is literally her first AKA chapter meeting. Where could she be?

MINUTE 10

(MIRI reads the poem that he just scribbled down in one minute’s time.)

MIRI - God borrowed the color from your eyes, so he could create today’s sunrise.

As I sat on the shore and watched the hue, the only thing I saw was you.

How wonderful to make God’s fingers stir! How beautiful I saw that you were!

When we met I noticed the depth, of your beauty and lost my breath.

I had taken for granted the air I take, now I wade in your eyes like the baptism lake.

With images of the river nile, where God sent Moses as a child.

Where I’d bathe you whenever the sun goes dim, and hope for the sunrise in your eyes again.

MINUTE 11

MONA - That was beautiful!

MIRI - Thanks.

(silence)

(MIRI smiles.)

MONA - No, that was really beautiful! You are so talented! You wrote that down so fast!

(MONA can’t stop smiling.)

MIRI - That’s what I do. Thank you for the inspiration.

MONA - Thank you Miri. That was the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me.

MINUTE 12

(silence)

(MONA looks at the Pearl clock tower behind MIRI.)

MONA - Shit! Look what time it is. I am really late for my meeting. I have to get going.

MIRI - Oh, I’m sorry. Let me walk you there.

MONA smiling - Ok.

(SOROR BERGEN takes her place at the front of the room.)

SOROR BERGEN - Sorors, it seems as if Soror Mona only has five minutes left.

(APRIL loudly calls out.)

APRIL - Three minutes and counting!

(Everyone giggles a nervous laugh.)

SOROR BERGEN smiling - O...k I can see by the timekeeper that Soror Mona has less than three minutes left.

(Everyone laughs more comfortably.)

MINUTE 13

SOROR BERGEN - Sorors in the event that Soror Mona indeed does not make it, all charges of wrong doings, mishandling of information, wrongful activity and misappropriation of intake information will be dismissed.

SYLVIA thinks - Yes!

SOROR BERGEN - And this meeting will be adjourned.

MONA - This is where my meeting is. Thanks for walking me here.

MIRI - My pleasure Mona. I hope I haven’t made you too late.

MONA - Oh no no. It’s ok.

MIRI - Ok cool.

(silence)

MINUTE 14

(MONA and MIRI are looking at each other. They both speak at the same time.)

MIRI - So what are you doin...

MONA - What are you getting into...

MIRI - I’m sorry sister, you first.

MONA - I was just wondering, what you were getting into later.

MIRI - I don’t have any plans. With this new found inspiration, I should go write a novel.

(MONA laughs.)

MIRI - What did you have in mind?

MONA - I’m sure I’ll be hungry after the meeting. I was thinking that maybe we could go to the diner for something to eat.

MIRI - That sounds great to me. Why don’t I meet you right here after your meeting.

MONA smiling - Ok. I would like that.

MIRI - Great! Now go inside. I’ll meet you back here.

MONA - Ok.

(MIRI walks away. MONA turns to go inside. She turns back around.)

MONA - Miri!

(MIRI stops and turns back around.)

MONA - Let’s go now!

MINUTE 15

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later at the 24 / 7 Diner...

MONA - Stop worrying about it. I will just catch the next meeting.

MIRI - Ok, if you say so.

(OCTAVIA walks into the diner with DONTE.)

MONA - Oh there is one of the sorors now. I can ask her about it. Octavia!

(OCTAVIA looks over and sees MONA sitting with MIRI. She smirks to herself as she walks to their table.)

OCTAVIA thinks - Oh this shit is hilarious!

OCTAVIA - Hey girl!

MONA - Girl, I am sorry I missed the meeting. I got tied up. I bumped into Miri and we lost track of time.

OCTAVIA giggling - Oh don’t worry about it. It’s all good. It’s definitely all good.

No comments: