Episode 6

This week’s episode begins with PJ and SHAREESA. They are in PJ and APRIL’s room and GREGG has just called PJ on the phone.

(PJ uses her finger to motion to SHAREESA to be quiet. SHAREESA nods.)

PJ - Gregg honey? I am going to place you on speaker phone so I can change my clothes ok?

GREGG - Ok.

(PJ smiles.)

PJ - Hello, can you hear me?

GREGG - Yeah, I got you.

PJ - How you doing honey?

GREGG - I’m aight. Congratulations.

PJ - Thank you! You know this was a long time coming.

GREGG - Yeah I know. I know you will wear it well too.

PJ - Thanks Gregg.

(PJ looks at SHAREESA who is staring at the phone.)

(silence)

PJ - So what’s going on Gregg?

GREGG - Just wanted to see what was up with you. Wanted to say congrats to ya.

PJ - Well you already did that.

GREGG - Yeah...I know.

PJ - Gregg, is something wrong?

GREGG - Yeah PJ, actually something is wrong.

(PJ whispers to SHAREESA.)

PJ whispers - I’m gonna make him admit something to me. Then you can hear it with your own ears.

(SHAREESA barely acknowledges.)

PJ - What’s the matter Gregg?

GREGG - I just need to talk. I got some things that are heavy on my heart right now. One thing in particular that I need to talk about.

(SHAREESA looks away.)

SHAREESA thinks - He is talking about getting some girl pregnant! I know he is going to admit it!

PJ - Well do you want me to talk to you about it honey? Is that why you called?

GREGG - Yeah. Do you mind? Are you busy?

PJ - Naw, I’m cool.

GREGG - Are you alone?

(PJ looks at SHAREESA who looks back at her.)

PJ - Yes. I’m alone.

GREGG - PJ, this is some serious shit. You have to promise me that this stays between me and you.

PJ - Uh...what is wrong Gregg?

(SHAREESA slams her fists down on her lap but doesn’t make a sound.)

SHAREESA thinks - I can’t believe Gregg! I should have known!

(PJ motions to SHAREESA to stay quiet.)

PJ - Gregg, what is the matter?

(silence)

PJ - Gregg?

GREGG - Yeah, I’m here. This is just...it’s real hard.

PJ - Well take your time Gregg. Just let it out. I am here.

(SHAREESA drops her face into her hands.)

GREGG - Ok. I just found out...

(silence)

GREGG - ...I just found out that Nino is sick. Real sick.

Meanwhile in Pearl Library...

(NINO is at the computer.)

NINO thinks - I should be able to find some information on angina on yahoo.

NINO reads - Angina is a recurring pain or discomfort in the chest that happens when some part of the heart does not receive enough blood. It is a common symptom of coronary heart disease.

(NINO looks up from the computer and then continues to read.)

NINO reads - Episodes of angina occur when the heart’s need for oxygen increases beyond the oxygen available from the blood nourishing the heart. Physical exertion is the most common trigger for angina.

NINO thinks - Dammit!

(NINO gets an instant message from CANDYJAGUAR@aol.com.)

CANDYJAGUAR - Baby!!

NINO types - Hey Candace! What you doing online?

CANDYJAGUAR - Only online for a hot second. What you doing online boy?

NINO types - Nothing, chatting on skeephi.

CANDYJAGUAR - Boy you in there everyday! LOL!!

NINO types - You know I love it!

CANDYJAGUAR - So how are you feeling?

NINO types - I feel fine.

CANDYJAGUAR - Liar.

NINO types - Promise.

CANDYJAGUAR - Oh ok.

NINO types - Stop worrying.

CANDYJAGUAR - I can’t. You know I can’t.

NINO types - It’s no big deal. Now go to class.

CANDYJAGUAR - Alright, call me tonight.

NINO types - Ok baby.

CANDYJAGUAR - I love you Nino!!!!!!!!!!

NINO types - I love you back!

CANDYJAGUAR - Also, one more thing.

NINO types - Wassup?

CANDYJAGUAR - I got a surprise for my baby and I aint telling what it is!! LOL!

NINO types - What surprise?

CANDYJAGUAR is not currently signed on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The phone rings in ALEXIS’ apartment.

ALEXIS thinks - I hope this aint no drama!

ALEXIS - Hello?

QUINTON - Hi. Alexis?

ALEXIS - This is Alexis.

QUINTON - This is Quinton.

(ALEXIS smiles.)

ALEXIS - Hi Quinton, hold on for a second.

(ALEXIS sighs relief. She plops down on her futon.)

ALEXIS - How you doing?

QUINTON - I’m good. How about yourself?

ALEXIS - I’m fine.

QUINTON - What are you doing?

ALEXIS - I was reading some stuff.

QUINTON - Oh is this a bad time?

ALEXIS - Oh no no. Perfect timing. It wasn’t anything important.

QUINTON - Oh ok. So how was your weekend?

ALEXIS - Quiet. Surprisingly.

QUINTON laughing - Oh you’re used to loud crazy weekends?

ALEXIS - Unfortunately yes.

QUINTON - Oh God, let me put the red flags up. Ha ha ha ha.

ALEXIS - Don’t let me scare you. I am a simple girl. It’s other people that are crazy.

QUINTON - Well then we should get along great. You sound like me.

(ALEXIS laughs.)

QUINTON - I hope we do get along great. You seem really cool.

ALEXIS - I am really cool!

QUINTON - Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

ALEXIS thinks - I really haven’t laughed in a while. Or had reason to.

QUINTON - Well are you really hungry?

ALEXIS - And if I were?

QUINTON - If you were, I would say that we should meet at the diner.

ALEXIS - The twenty four seven diner?

QUINTON - Yeah, but only if you said that you were really hungry.

ALEXIS - And what if I’m not really hungry?

QUINTON - Then you can meet me there and watch me eat.

ALEXIS laughing - Oh really! You would eat right in front of a girl?

QUINTON - Yep! And you better stay off my plate!

ALEXIS - Well we’ll see about that.

QUINTON - So does that mean you are meeting me?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR. SHAW has just come out and is ready to reveal to CARYN and TRINA who the father of CARYN’s baby is.

DR. SHAW - Caryn, I ran that test for you and the results came out quicker than I thought. Your baby’s father is Bobby.

CARYN - Bobby?

TRINA - What!

DR. SHAW - Your baby’s father is Bobby.

TRINA - You slept with Bobby? You slept with my man?

CARYN - Bobby aint your man!

TRINA - You slut!

(TRINA lunges at CARYN. DR. SHAW drops the chart and tries to restrain TRINA.)

TRINA - How could you do this to me!

(TRINA jumps on the bed and grabs CARYN’s hair. CARYN flings TRINA across the bed and TRINA crashes on the floor.)

CARYN - Get off me!

TRINA - I can’t believe you fucked my man!

ANOTHER PATIENT - Jerry! Jerry!

(CARYN jumps off the bed to get away but TRINA grabs her.)

TRINA - You bitch!

CARYN - Get the hell off me!

ALL THE OTHER PATIENTS - Jerry! Jerry!

DR. SHAW - Security! Security!

(TRINA grabs CARYN in a headlock which CARYN slips out of. CARYN turns and punches TRINA in the face.)

CARYN - I don’t know why you hatin’ Trina, you did the same shit when you were...

(Slap!)

TRINA - Shut the hell up!

(TRINA’s slap sends CARYN to the floor. TRINA jumps on her and they begin to roll around.)

ANOTHER PATIENT - Oh my God!

(TRINA and CARYN roll and crash into a small table which topples over. Medical instruments crash on the floor.)

TRINA - You bitch!

CARYN - Get off me!

(Two security guards run in.)

CARYN - Get off me!

(The guards try to pull the girls apart.)

TRINA - I’m gonna kill that ho!

CARYN - You the ho! Ho!

(TRINA and CARYN are separated, one by each security guard.)

TRINA - I thought you were my friend!

CARYN - I am your friend, get over it! Damn!

TRINA - Let me go! I’m gonna kill this bitch!

(The security guard ushers TRINA outside and takes her out the exit door.)

SECURITY GUARD - Hey! Hey! Calm down! Look, I suggest you leave before we have you arrested! Any problems you have with her, you take up later. Don’t do this here.

TRINA - Fine, I’m out! But tell that bitch that this shit aint over!

SECURITY GUARD - Whatever.

(TRINA cuts him a mean look and walks off.)

TRINA thinks - I can’t believe Caryn and Bobby had sex! And he got her pregnant! Oooh!

(TRINA turns and looks back at the hospital.)

TRINA screams - Oooh! Dammit!

(TRINA flags down a cab.)

TRINA - Campus please, Tandy Hall!

TRINA thinks - Wait til I get my hands on that nigga! Oooh!

(The cab pulls up in front of Tandy Hall. TRINA jumps out without paying and runs toward the dorm.)

CAB DRIVER - Hey!

(TRINA gets inside and runs to the staircase. She runs up the stairs.)

TRINA thinks- I can’t believe this shit!

(TRINA gets to the door and bangs on it. She waits a few seconds and begins to bang again. The door opens.)

GREGG - I don’t know why you banging on the door like a crazy person! Nino’s not here!

TRINA - I didn’t come to see Nino, I came to see you!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the 24/7 Diner.

QUINTON laughing - So I guess you were really hungry huh?

ALEXIS - Nope. Just came to eat off your plate.

(They laugh together.)

QUINTON - So you’ve been here before?

ALEXIS - I have been everywhere and everywhere I have been. You can’t name a place that I have not been.

QUINTON - Bet I can.

ALEXIS - Ok try me.

QUINTON - Alright, the grand canyon.

ALEXIS - As a kid.

QUINTON - Niagara falls.

ALEXIS - Twice.

QUINTON - Paris.

ALEXIS - Paris texas.

QUINTON - Huh?

ALEXIS - I had a boyfriend in high school who used to always say that. I told him that I wanted my honeymoon to be in Paris and he would ask, paris texas? There is really a city in texas called paris.

QUINTON - Wow. You must have been real fond of that ex boyfriend for you to remember that.

ALEXIS - No, not at all. I get over a nigga quick.

QUINTON - Red flag again.

(They laugh again.)

WAITER - Yall ready to order?

QUINTON - Alexis?

ALEXIS - I’ll have the chicken ceaser salad.

QUINTON - Let me get the buffalo wings.

(The waiter takes the orders and leaves.)

QUINTON - Are you one of those salad eating girls that doesn’t let on when they are really hungry?

ALEXIS - One thing you will learn about me is that I eat. I aint ashamed to eat, my family can throw down and so can I. I will lick my fingers when I’m done!

QUINTON - Wow! So when do I get a sampling of this fine cooking that you do?

ALEXIS - You aint earned that yet brother man!

QUINTON - Ha ha ha ha ha. Oh ok. Well let me get my score card out to see how many points I rack up so I will know when I earn it.

ALEXIS - Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

(ALEXIS drinks some water.)

QUINTON - So you want your honeymoon in Paris? I take it you are into romance.

ALEXIS - That was when I was young though. I don’t think so anymore. I have always had this picture of this knight in shining armor riding up on a horse and whisking me away into the sunset. But nowadays niggas is niggas and they have traded in their horses for Hyundais and chivalry died with civil rights.

QUINTON - Some of us still hold on to it. I try to.

ALEXIS - Right now, you will say anything for more points.

QUINTON - Ok just for that, your fork better stay on that side of the table!

ALEXIS - Ha ha ha ha ha.

ALEXIS thinks - It feels so good to laugh again.

ALEXIS - I will be right back. Just want to run into the ladies room.

QUINTON - Ok but I cannot be held responsible if your salad comes out and my fork feels kinda jumpy!

ALEXIS - Silly! You better not!

(ALEXIS playfully slaps QUINTON on the arm.)

QUINTON - Red flag! Spousal abuse!

(ALEXIS laughs as she walks to the bathroom.)

QUINTON thinks - She is so cool. I am glad we met.

(QUINTON looks around the diner and there are other students and customers eating. He glances at the door and recognizes the girl coming in.)

QUINTON - June!

JUNE - Quinton!

QUINTON - Sands! Congratulations!

JUNE - Skeephi! Congratulations!

(QUINTON stands up and gives JUNE a big hug. DERRICK stands to the side and watches.)

JUNE - I am so happy to see you frat!

QUINTON - Oh gosh, I am so not used to that yet! I can’t believe I am an Alpha!

JUNE - Me too! I am so happy! Oh Quinton this is Derrick.

QUINTON - Oh what’s up partner?

(QUINTON extends his hand but DERRICK doesn’t shake it.)

DERRICK - What’s up dog.

QUINTON thinks - What the hell is his problem?

JUNE - Uh...well it is good seeing you sands.

QUINTON - Yeah, you too. See ya around.

(JUNE and DERRICK turn and go sit in a booth.)

QUINTON thinks - Punk ass nigga.

WAITER - You had the...wings right?

QUINTON - Oh yeah. Right.

(ALEXIS comes out of the bathroom.)

ALEXIS - Oh good, the food is here. I am surprised I have any left.

QUINTON - You’re lucky I am too much of a gentleman to start without my lady friend.

ALEXIS - Aww, aren’t you sweet.

(QUINTON extends his hand.)

QUINTON - May I?

(ALEXIS grabs his hand in return.)

QUINTON - Lord we thank you for this food we are now about to receive, for the nourishing of our bodies in Jesus name, amen.

ALEXIS - Amen.

ALEXIS thinks - Ok, I like him.

QUINTON - Now don’t let this date be your first impression of me because when I get some buffalo wings, sauce goes flying everywhere! I can’t think of any way to eat wings neatly.

ALEXIS - Don’t worry because I told you how I am. I will lick my fingers in a minute!

QUINTON - Do you cut cornbread with a knife?

ALEXIS - Heck no. I will pick it up and I pick up ribs too.

QUINTON - And fried chicken in a classy restaurant?

ALEXIS - I would use both hands on that leg!

QUINTON - Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

QUINTON - Let me ask you this.

ALEXIS - Um hmm.

QUINTON - If you and your boyfriend were out and he sees some girl that he knows and introduces you to her, would you dis her?

ALEXIS - Did she flirt with him or something?

QUINTON - Not at all. Just said hello, straight introduction.

ALEXIS - Of course not. Why?

QUINTON - Because see that girl over there sitting with that guy?

ALEXIS - Over where?

QUINTON - Don’t look now, they are looking this way.

ALEXIS - Ooh sneaky type stuff!

QUINTON - Ha ha ha ha ha, ok look now. See that girl?

ALEXIS - With the AKA shirt on?

QUINTON - Yeah. She is my sands and we spoke to each other when they came in. But when I went to shake his hand he just looked at me like I was crazy or something.

ALEXIS - Your sands?

No comments: