Episode 29

It is eleven am. The doors to the Ahpla University chapel have already been open for three hours. Many students are already inside waiting. In the front row are a sobbing MR. and MRS. DANIELS, NINO’s parents. His little sister
NEVELLE and his little brother JERMAINE sit on either side crying. CANDACE sits next to LARRY on the front row. They all stare at the open casket and NINO’s peaceful body. The organ is playing a low peaceful tune.

(GREGG walks in with SHAREESA.)

GREGG - There are his parents. Let’s go say something.
SHAREESA - Ok.

(GREGG and SHAREESA grab a program and walk toward the front. SHAREESA stares at the bulletin that has a smiling picture of NINO on the front.)

SHAREESA thinks - Nino Kevon Daniels, July nineteenth nineteen seventy nine. December twenty eighth, two thousand. God!
GREGG- Hello maam. Sir.
MR. DANIELS - Gregg. Thank you for everything.

(MR. DANIELS stands up and hugs GREGG. MRS. DANIEL’s stays seated as she takes GREGG’s hand.)

GREGG - I am so sorry about all of this.
MR. DANIELS - I know Gregg. You have always been a good friend to our son. Ever since you two first came to Ahpla. I know that if there were something that you could have done, you would not have hesitated. Thank you.
GREGG crying - You’re welcome.

(SHAREESA turns to CANDACE.)

SHAREESA crying - Hi Candace.
CANDACE - Hi Shareesa.

(They hold hands.)

SHAREESA crying - Are you ok?
CANDACE - I am making it. Trying to be strong ya know?
SHAREESA crying - Yeah. I am here if you need anything.

(CANDACE uses her tissue and wipes her eyes.)

CANDACE - Thank you.
SHAREESA crying - How are you Larry?

LARRY - I am holding on.
GREGG - Reece, let me introduce you to Nino’s parents. This is Mr. and Mrs. Daniels.

(MR. DANIELS extends his hand as his left hand is on the shoulder of his sobbing wife.)

SHAREESA crying - I am so sorry. We all loved Nino so much.
MR. DANIELS - Thank you.

(The campus pastor approaches the DANIELS family.)

REV. HENDERSON - We are ready to begin if you are.
MR. DANIELS - Yes. Thank you.
REV. HENDERSON - Very well. If you will all take your places, we will settle everyone down.

(The organist changes to a song which signals everyone to take their places. The ushers sit the remaining students and faculty members down. Late comers quietly begin to fill seats in the back.)

(DONTE and OCTAVIA are seated amongst the Alphas. They are hand in hand.)

OCTAVIA - Look at him. He looks so peaceful.
DONTE - Yeah.
OCTAVIA - And look at all the flowers and cards. And pictures.

DONTE - Nino was deeply loved and will be missed.
GREGG - Brothers and sisters, welcome to a celebration. A celebration of the life of Nino Kevon Daniels. A life that not only touched us all, but brought sunshine to dark places, brought smiles to frowning faces. Brought joy to sad
hearts and uplifted all. We would like to take a moment to reflect on the life of this great man and thank God for placing him among us for this short hour.

(MRS. DANIELS and CANDACE are crying uncontrollably.)

GREGG - We would like to open up with a prayer by Nino’s fraternity brother Jason.

(JASON walks up to the podium.)

JASON - May we bow our heads.

(The organist starts slowly.)

JASON - Almighty God. We thank you for the gift of life and for all of your blessings. We thank you for our brother Nino and for the life that he lived. We ask you Father to heal the broken hearts and wounded spirits. Touch his
parents, family and loved ones. Help us look upon his life not with tear filled eyes, but with joyous anticipation to that day that we may see him again.

(silence)

JASON - In Jesus name. Amen
EVERYONE - Amen.

(GREGG comes back to the podium as JASON walks back to his seat. JASON is wiping his eyes.)

GREGG - Thank you Jason. Next we will have a scripture by Wil.

(WIL comes to the podium carrying a bible. He shakes GREGG’s hand as they pass.)

WIL - Good morning. I will be reading from the book of second Corinthians, first chapter verses three through six. Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort; who
comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort werewith we ourselves are comforted of God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also
aboundeth by Christ. And whether we be afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effectual in the enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer: or whether we be comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation.

(silence)

WIL - I have read for you second Corinthians. May the Lord add a blessing to the reading of His word.


GREGG - Thank you Wil. Next we will have a song rendered to us by June and Katrice.

(JUNE and KATRICE approach the front from two different sides of the church. Once at the front, JUNE whispers into the organist’s ear. He nods.)

JUNE sings - Precious Lord...take my hand.
JUNE and KATRICE sing - Lead me on...let me stand. I am tired...I am weak...I am worn. Through the storm...through the night. lead me on...to the light. Take my hand...precious Lord...lead me on.

(Sounds of people crying get louder. Tears are falling down KATRICE’s face as her and JUNE sing their hearts out.)

MRS. DANIELS - Niiiiiiiiiinoooooooo! My baby boy!

(MR. DANIELS consoles his wife.)

JUNE and KATRICE - Hear my cry...hear my call. Hold my hand...lest I fall. Take my hand...precious Lord...and lead me on. Take my hand...precious Lord...and lead me on.

(As they finish, there are sounds of weeping all over the building. They walk back to their seats crying, but not before KATRICE walks over and touches the hand of NINO’s mother. They sit and GREGG waits to stand back up.)

GREGG - Uh...ahem. Next we will have Nino’s line brother Reggie share a few words with us.

(REGGIE walks up.)

REGGIE - First giving honor to God. To Pastor Henderson. To the family of Nino Daniels, his parents and brother and sister. And to all of us, his friends that have gathered. I had the opportunity to pledge Alpha alongside Nino. During this time, we came to know one another as brothers. I remember how much I hated New Orleans music before I met Nino and now I am playing Cash Money and No Limit.

(The congregation giggles.)

REGGIE - But Nino touched my life. Moreso than any person that I have ever met. And the beautiful thing about him is that, he was the kind of brother that could make you make that statement when he was still with us.
BOBBY - That’s right.
REGGIE - Some people only get their accomplishments recognized when they are gone from us. And then we sit back and say what a nice person they were. But everyone that knew Nino constantly spoke about his character. How much of a pleasant individual he was. How much he constantly gave of himself in all that he did.

(MRS. DANIELS grabs CANDACE’s hand.)

REGGIE - Nino gave more of himself than any of us in what he set his mind to. In his work within our chapter. Within his relationship. Within his school work.

(silence)

REGGIE - I believe that God has smiled upon the life of our brother Nino. And...and I believe that Nino is looking down on us.

(silence)

REGGIE - Right now. Smiling.

(An emotional REGGIE turns and takes his seat. After a brief moment of silence, PASTOR HENDERSON stands to deliver the eulogy.)

PASTOR HENDERSON – Brothers and sisters. I stand before you on this day…this day of life’s celebration. This sad day as we pause to bid farewell…to our brother Nino Kevon Daniels. We pause today. We pause to recognize his
contribution. And we pause to bless each other with his precious memories.

(GREGG drops his head and holds it in his hands.)

PASTOR HENDERSON – When we were all young, we attended grade school. We were taught when we studied english, how to conjugate and perfect our language. We learned that a period is a stop point. We learned that the period is where the sentence stops. We learned that a question mark indicates an interrogative statement, or an inquisitive statement. We learned that a comma is when we pause. We pause. A comma is a junction between two points where we pause to catch our breath. We pause to collect our thoughts. We pause before we move on to the other side.

(There are sounds of crying.)

PASTOR HENDERSON – Life is a lot like lessons. The life of Nino was called short. He was between two points in his life. God saw fit to call Nino back home and saw fit for us to pause. Pause. This comma where we stand today is
the bridge. The connection for all of us. This comma where we stand today tells us that there is another point for us. For today is not a period. Today is a comma. What is that other point? We know that Nino would want us to move on. Nino would not want us to dwell in this paused state. But he has let us know through his deeds while here that he will be with us in mind and spirit. As we as a family move on to that next point…

(PASTOR HENDERSON pauses.)

PASTOR HENDERSON - …as we move on, we come together. We move from this pause and come together for Nino’s parents. We move from this pause and come together as a family for Nino’s little baby sister.

(BOBBY starts to weep. DONTE drops his head as OCTAVIA holds him.)

PASTOR HENDERSON – We move from this pause and come together for little Jermaine. We move from this pause and hold hands around our sister Candace.

(CANDACE wipes her face as her heart is racing. She kisses her engagement ring.)

PASTOR HENDERSON – I know this is a hard time. Death is a scene that is very very difficult to deal with, especially when it involves young people. But we must understand that death is a part of life just like night is a part of day. We as a family of believers must not fear death but embrace it as that day that we will walk in the kingdom with our savior.

(MR. AND MRS. DANIELS grab each other’s hands.)

PASTOR HENDERSON – As we pause today, we reflect on Brother Nino’s life. We think back to those happy memories that he shared with us and we say thank you Lord.
REGGIE – Thank you Lord.
PASTOR HENDERSON – We think to the present and we come together as one family, with one last name. One family in an embrace of love and condolence. And we say thank you Lord.
CONGREGATION – Thank you Lord.
PASTOR HENDERSON – We think to our future and we contemplate how to move on from this point. We think ahead to the times that we feel that we may be weak and we call upon that remarkable smile that Nino blessed us with. We think ahead from this pause to the other side to the times that we will miss his physical presence in our lives and we think of the warmth in his touch.

(CANDACE lets out a loud cry and holds her face.)

PASTOR HENDERSON – We think ahead to the times we feel as if we would trade anything in the world for one more day with him. One more day to laugh. One more day to love. One more day to argue. One more day to step.

(silence)

PASTOR HENDERSON – And we think of Nino’s joy right now. Right now! We think of him smiling down on us and telling us that…that "Everything is ok from where I am looking." We look ahead at the thought that he is looking down and watching over our every move. We know that we will feel him with us from this day…

(PASTOR HENDERSON pauses.)

PASTOR HENDERSON - …until that day that we see him again.

(silence)

PASTOR HENDERSON – Pause with me. Pause with me my brothers. Pause with me my sisters. Pause with me my family. Pause with me.

(PASTOR HENDERSON quietly walks back to his seat and wipes his own eyes.)

(The organist begins a slow melody that does not drown out the sound of silent crying all over the building. The DANIELS family stands and approaches the casket. MR. DANIELS kisses his son’s face and wipes his forehead. MRS.
DANIELS holds NINO’s hand and has to be helped back to her seat. CANDACE approaches the casket alone.)

CANDACE thinks – My precious soldier. I know that this is just a temporary separation. I wish that I could go with you now but I know that you don’t want that for me. I know that you can hear me and I know that you still love
me. Know that I will always always love you. Forever. I send with you my love today Nino. I love you.

(CANDACE takes her seat next to the family and cries into her hands.)

GREGG – This brings our ceremony to a conclusion. For those who wish, you may walk single file to view the body. On behalf of the Daniels family, we wish to thank you all for coming and showing your support. God bless you all.

(Students and faculty members begin to fill the aisles and walk toward the front of the church. Many are crying and saying there goodbyes to Nino. They are also giving kind words to the family.)

QUINTON – Good bye frat! I will miss you!

(QUINTON turns and walks away.)

PJ – I am so sorry about your loss. We all feel this very deeply and our prayers are with you.
MR. DANIELS – Thank you.
DONTE – Nino, I just want to thank you for helping me…helping me to cope with something that has hurt me all my life. It was only…

(DONTE chokes up.)

DONTE crying - …it was only after you spoke to me that I was able…able to open up to others.

(DONTE looks at OCTAVIA next to him and grabs her hand.)

DONTE – Thank you man. Thank you.
MAX – Candace, here is my number. If you need anything at all, even someone to just talk to…call me.
CANDACE crying – Thanks.
JUNE – Good bye Nino. You will be missed.

(JUNE wipes away her tears as she walks away.)

ALEXIS – Mrs. Daniels, I just wanted to say that your son was a beautiful human being. I have been friends with him since I came to Ahpla. He is with God now and is comforted.
MRS. DANIELS – Thank you dear.
SYLVIA – Good bye my friend. Hold it down bruh until we get there too. Peace.
APRIL – Good bye sands. I will miss laughing with you in the student union. I will miss trying to out step you. I will miss…I will miss you man.

(APRIL leaves crying.)

THERESA – Jason?

(JASON turns around.)

THERESA – Hi.
JASON – Hi.
THERESA – Um…I just wanted to tell you that those words that you said…they were beautiful.

JASON – Thanks.

(silence)

THERESA – Um…I wanted to know if we could talk for a few minutes.

(silence)

JASON – I can’t right now. I have to go.

(JASON turns, wipes his eyes and walks down the aisle to join WILLIE who grabs his hand as he approaches.)

No comments: