Episode 14

We begin this week’s episode with JUNE who has just confronted APRIL about sleeping with DERRICK.

(KATRICE listens closely by the door.)

APRIL - You want to know if I slept with Derrick?

(APRIL remembers.)

DERRICK - You can leave if you want. But if I were you, I’d stay. Unless of course you want me to spread the word that you prefer females to lick on you instead of guys.

APRIL - What did you say?

DERRICK - I said, order my shit.

APRIL - What did you say?

DERRICK - You can leave if you want. But if I were you, I’d stay. Unless of course you want me to spread the word that you prefer females to lick on you instead of guys.

DERRICK - I said, order my shit.

(silence.)

JUNE - Yeah. Basically, I want to know if you slept with him.

DERRICK - Yo Ronnie. You know that AKA April?

RONNIE - Yeah, she is cool. Kinda cute.

DERRICK - Well don’t try and push up on that man! She is eating the kitty kat!

RONNIE - What?

DERRICK - She is a lesbian! She is letting Katrice go down on her on the regular!

RONNIE - Oh shit!

DERRICK - Yo Caryn. You know that AKA April?

CARN - Yeah why?

DERRICK - Guess what? She is gay. She lets Katrice eat her out?

CARYN - What? Yuck! What a freak!

DERRICK - Yo Gregg. You know that AKA April?

GREGG - Yeah, she is PJ’s roommate.

DERRICK - Bruh, she goes both ways man. She let me hit it but then let’s Katrice eat her out!

GREGG - What! She on that type shit! Yo man, you know her number?

DERRICK - Yo Bobby. You know that AKA April?

BOBBY - Yeah, she is my soror.

DERRICK - Did you know she is down with girls? She lets Katrice eat her out.

BOBBY - What! I wonder if Katrice is better than me.

DERRICK - Yo Miri, you know that AKA April right?

MIRI - I think so.

DERRICK - She is gay. Goes down on other girls and everything.

MIRI - Really? Hmmm. I can do a phat poem about her up in Pharoah’s!

DERRICK - Yo Willie. You know that AKA April right?

WILLIE - Sure I do. Why?

DERRICK - She is a lesbian. She gets down with Katrice.

WILLIE - What! I knew them AKA’s was like that!

DERRICK - Yo Octavia, your line sister is gay! Yo Sylvia, your soror is gay. Yo Maxine, your soror is gay. Yo Ashante, your soror is gay. Yo Shareesa, your soror is gay. Yo Gina, your soror is gay. Yo PJ your roommate is gay. Yo Mona...Yo Mona...Yo Mona...

JUNE - April!

APRIL - Huh?

JUNE - I just asked you if you slept with Derrick and you blanked out.

APRIL - Oh I am sorry girl. I just had a real crazy thought. Sorry about that.

JUNE - It’s ok.

APRIL - But about me and Derrick...no. I never slept with him. We didn’t do anything.

(JUNE feels a load of pressure release. KATRICE feels a load of pressure release.)

JUNE - You didn’t?

APRIL - No.

(The door opens.)

KATRICE - Sorry about the drinks sorors. The machine downstairs wasn’t working. They need to fix that shit! It never works!

APRIL - That’s alright. I need to be leaving here anyway.

JUNE - Yeah, me too.

KATRICE - Alright yall. I will catch up with yall later.

(The three hug and APRIL and JUNE begin to walk downstairs together.)

JUNE - I am sorry that I had to ask you that. But obviously that was a sensitive issue for me and it was killing me not to know.

APRIL - I understand.

JUNE - But I must admit that I am happy to hear your answer.

APRIL thinks - Damn.

APRIL - Think nothing of it.

JUNE - No, really. I don’t know how I would have felt if you had answered me differently.

APRIL - Don’t even think about it. What is done is done and it is in the past.

JUNE - Yeah.

(JUNE and APRIL reach the lobby. They see GINA.)

APRIL - What’s up soror!

GINA - Hey yall.

JUNE - What’s up with you?

GINA - Nothing girl. I have an exam tomorrow. I just took a break to get something to drink. I am dying of thirst! Ha ha ha.

(GINA turns around and drops coins in the machine. The drink comes out.)

JUNE thinks - I thought Katrice said this machine wasn’t working?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We find TRINA who is sleeping but wakes up from someone knocking on her door.

TRINA - Damn! What’s the point in scheduling late classes if people are gonna come by early anyway! Shit!

(TRINA drags herself out of bed.)

TRINA thinks - This early, I will only be happy if this is Bobby! Hee hee.

(TRINA looks through the peep hole but cannot tell who it is.)

TRINA - Who is it?

VOICE - Delivery for Trina. It’s from one eight hundred flowers maam.

TRINA - Oh shit!

(TRINA opens the door. Their is a delivery man with two dozen long stem roses.)

TRINA - Oh my gosh!

DELIVERY MAN - Just sign here.

TRINA - Sure! These are so beautiful!

DELIVERY MAN - Someone must love you.

(TRINA smiles as she is signing.)

TRINA - Thank you!

(TRINA goes back inside.)

TRINA - These roses are gorgeous! Oh and they smell so good.

(TRINA looks around and decides where she should put them.)

TRINA - I’ll put them right here so everyone can see how much my baby loves me!Hee hee!

(TRINA puts them on the table and notices a card sticking out.)

TRINA - Oooh a card.

CARD - Surprise! Beautiful roses for a Beautiful girl! All the time I was chasing after someone else and you have always been right here, under my nose! Please meet me for dinner tonight at the Cheesecake Factory.

TRINA - Whooopee!

(TRINA dances around her apartment holding up the card.)

TRINA - Finally! After all this time! It worked! Bobby is mine! Yes! Yes! Yes!

(TRINA runs back into her bedroom and kisses her picture of BOBBY.)

TRINA thinks - You know what? I’m gonna go and get my nails done before class! Woo whoo!

(TRINA quickly showers and gets dressed and then is out the door.)

TRINA thinks - He is so sneaky too! He told me that he had step practice tonight! He did say that there was something real important about tonight’s step practice! That totally threw me off.

(TRINA gets to the nail salon.)

TRINA - Hey Ebony, I need the hook up girl. Got a hot date tonight!

EBONY - No sweat T, sit on down and I will hook you up.

(TRINA sits.)

EBONY - Out with Bobby tonight huh?

TRINA - Yes girl! My baby sent me two dozen long stemmed roses today with an invitation to dinner.

EBONY - What! Ask him if he got a brother!

TRINA - Ha ha ha ha ha ha! But then he had me so fooled because he said that tonight he had to go to step practice and it was some kind of special step practice.

EBONY - He was just throwing you off girl. He didn’t want you to find out what was going down. He is a good catch.

TRINA - Yeah I know! And he is all mine now!

(TRINA finishes up and pays EBONY.)

TRINA - Thanks girl, see ya.

EBONY - Have fun tonight! Have some extra fun for me!

TRINA - I will!

(TRINA leaves and goes to campus.)

TRINA thinks - I am so happy! I thought this was gonna be a bad day! Woo whoo!

(TRINA goes to class.)

TRINA thinks - I hate these long classes! Sheesh! I want to get dressed for my date! Damn!

(TRINA watches the clock the entire time. Finally it is time to go.)

TRINA thinks - If I touch up my hair, that will give me perfect timing to get dressed and to the cheesecake factory on time. I aint going to my next class, I will just get the notes and catch up. Woo whoo!

(TRINA heads back home.)

TRINA thinks - Damn, what should I wear?

(TRINA gets home and takes a quick shower.)

TRINA thinks - Let me make this quick, I don’t want the steam from the shower to make my hair fall.

(TRINA stands in front of her closet.)

TRINA - Oh I know, I will wear this! Perfect! It is black and gold! Hee hee.

(TRINA gets dressed and checks herself in the mirror.)

TRINA - Beautiful! Woo whoo!

(TRINA takes one rose with her and leaves and gets in her car.)

TRINA - I love the cheesecake factory! This is gonna be off the chains! Woo whoo!

(TRINA gets there and it is crowded. She looks around but doesn’t see BOBBY yet.)

TRINA thinks - Let me go up and ask the hostess.

(TRINA approahes the podium.)

HOSTESS - Yes maam.

TRINA - Hi I am meeting someone here. I don’t know if he is here yet.

HOSTESS - Ok. What is your name?

TRINA - Trina.

HOSTESS - Oh yes, he has already arrived. Right this way.

TRINA thinks - Woo whoo!

(The hostess leads TRINA toward a table in the back.)

TRINA - I love this man!

(TRINA smells the one flower that she grabbed before she left home. The hostess stops at the very last table. TRINA is shocked.)

RONNIE - Good evening Trina. I see you got the flowers I sent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We join the Alphas at step practice.

BOBBY - So how is this gonna go down?

REGGIE - As soon as Nino gets back, he will go over it with us again.

BOBBY - Cool.

LARRY - This shit is gonna be the bomb!

DONTE - Oh most definitely. That Nino is a creative motherfucker.

TREY - Yeah, I have seen some crazy shit in my day. But this takes the cake!

(Everyone laughs.)

LARRY - I can’t wait to see the reaction.

BOBBY - Oh this is gonna be a killer no doubt.

TREY - Yeah definitely.

WIL - I aint even hating on Nino, but I wish I had thought of this first.

BOBBY - Ha ha ha, I was thinking the same thing! Shit!

(Everyone laughs again.)

REGGIE - So where is he?

(The door swings open.)

NINO - A phi!

BROTHERS IN UNISON - Oh six!

NINO - Yall ready?

BOBBY - Yeah man! Let’s do this!

NINO - Aight let’s go. We can pick up the kids on the way.

REGGIE - Cool!

(The Alphas leave the basement of Tandy Hall and go out front where they pile into BOBBY’s car and NINO’s car. WIL drives in his car by himself.)

LARRY - You a wild boy Nino! Ha ha ha ha.

NINO - Man, go head with that bruh! Ha ha ha ha ha.

(The two cars drive off campus to the Rosman Middle School.)

NINO - I’ll be right back.

LARRY - Aight.

(NINO and WIL get out of their cars and go into the school.)

LARRY - Yall must had known yall were getting someone special when Nino came out for the chapter huh?

DONTE - Yeah man. Some cats it is hard to tell once they go over how they are gonna live within Alpha. Some guys cross and I think they are gonna be the work horses of the chapter. Then they never show up. Other guys seem slack and they do everything. But I knew Nino was special from when I first met him.

LARRY - Really?

DONTE - Oh most definitely. I still gave him a hard time. You know how I do.

LARRY - Ha ha ha ha, yeah nigga. I know!

DONTE - But I knew he was gonna be special. He is a great addition to Alpha and to our chapter.

LARRY - Definitely.

(NINO and WIL come out with sixteen fourth graders. They are all smiling and talking. Some get in the car with NINO, some with BOBBY and the rest with WIL.)

NINO - Ok, I think we are ready.

DONTE - The question is, are you ready?

NINO - As ready as I will ever be my brother!

DONTE - Then come on!

(The three cars drive off. Ten minutes later they stop and NINO checks his watch.)

NINO - Perfect! Right on time.

(Everyone parks and gets out. The brothers lead the children inside.)

NINO - Now you kids remember the step that I taught you right?

CICELY - Yes Mr. Nino! It’s like this right?

(CICELY does a step.)

NINO - That’s right! You kids are so smart!

(CICELY smiles.)

BOBBY - These kids are real cute!

NINO - I know.

(They lead the children into a large room.)

NINO - Ok now everyone line up the way that I showed it to you. We only have time to practice it once.

(Everyone scrambles and gets in line. There are four lines of children. Four kids in each line. Then the Alphas are lined up behind them. After inspecting the lines, NINO stands in front and starts the step.)

LARRY thinks - This shit is the bomb!

(Everyone steps together with NINO in front and it is perfect the first time. NINO’s chest hurts a little but he ignores it.)

NINO - Ok. Yall...cough...ready to do it?...cough.

CHILDREN - Yes Mr. Nino.

(Everyone hears five loud knocks on the door.)

NINO - Ok everyone. Quiet. It’s time. Shhhh. Line up quietly.

(All the children quietly giggle as they line back up. The Alphas line up too and are smiling.)

NINO thinks - Ok, this is it!

(NINO gets into position and stomps his foot on the floor loudly five times. The door opens. Everyone waits for NINO’s signal.)

SHAREESA thinks - Oh this is the sweetest thing in the world!

(SHAREESA immediately starts to cry as she walks through the door with GREGG and CANDACE who is blindfolded.)

GREGG - Ok Candace. We are almost there.

CANDACE - I’m gonna kill you guys! I have been blindfolded forever.

GREGG - Just a few minutes more.

CANDACE - That’s what you said fifteen minutes ago.

GREGG - Well I was lying then. But this time I am serious.

(CANDACE laughs but doesn’t peek. SHAREESA helps to guide her into a chair and then wipes her own tears. She bends over to whisper into CANDACE’s ear.)

SHAREESA - I love you girl.

(GREGG stands behind CANDACE’s chair. He smiles at NINO and the step team behind him. NINO smiles back and takes a deep breath.)

GREGG - Are you ready Candace?

CANDACE - I am very ready.

(GREGG takes off CANDACE’s blindfold. CANDACE adjusts her eyes and then focuses on NINO and the children behind him. Then on the Alphas behind the children. NINO starts to step.)

NINO - One day I was walking in the city of gold...

(The children join in stepping and singing.)

CHILDREN - Where the streets are paved with gold...

NINO - And what did my eyes behold...

ALPHAS - But a lady of Sigma Gamma Rho!

(CANDACE laughs loud.)

CANDACE - Eeee-yip!

EVERYONE - She was a beautiful queen! She was a beautiful queen!

NINO - She was the finest woman I’d ever seen!

EVERYONE - She was intelligent and strong! She was intelligent and strong!

NINO - I thought about her face the whole day long!

EVERYONE - She had fire in her eyes! She had fire in her eyes!

NINO - I knew this lady was the ultimate prize!

EVERYONE - On her head she wears a crown! On her head she wears a crown!

NINO - Now give me a second to break it on down!

(EVERYONE starts to break the step down and it is perfect. Each line is doing something different. The Alphas are bending over so that they are almost the same height as the kids. So is NINO up front.)

CANDACE smiling - Oh my God!

(CANDACE looks over at GREGG and SHAREESA who are smiling. She looks back at NINO who is still stepping.)

CANDACE - I can’t believe this!

(Suddenly the whole formation moves forward. NINO is right in front of CANDACE bending over stepping and everyone is behind him.)

NINO - Now will you please...

CHILDREN - Will you please...

ALPHAS - Will you please...

(NINO drops to one knee as the step stops.)

NINO - Marry me?

No comments: