Episode 23

We begin this week's episode with CARYN who is being led into Ahpla University Hospital's emergency room with DERRICK and TRINA. As they enter, they see BOBBY.

CARYN - Oh God! Oooooh God!

BOBBY - Hey...hey! What the hell is...

(TRINA sees BOBBY and stops.)

TRINA thinks - Oh shit!

BOBBY - What happened? What's the matter? Caryn!

(BOBBY runs up to CARYN.)

BOBBY - Sweetie what's wrong?

TRINA thinks - Sweetie?

DERRICK - She's having the baby Bobby.

BOBBY - What!

(TRINA turns and walks away.)

CARYN - Oh God!

DERRICK - How can I find a doctor here!

CARYN - Oh God! Oh God!

BOBBY - Caryn why didn't you page me?

CARYN - Because...because I had Derrick.

(BOBBY stares at DERRICK who stares back.)

DERRICK - I need a doctor!

(DERRICK turns and runs to the front desk.)

BOBBY - What can I do for you Caryn? Is there anything that I can do for you? Is my baby ok?

CARYN - I just need to...breathe! I just need to breathe!

(DERRICK comes back.)

DERRICK - Ok, they can take you Caryn. Right away, right this way!

(The nurse runs out.)

NURSE - What is the patient's name?

BOBBY - Caryn. Her name is Caryn.

NURSE - Caryn, you can come with me. Everything is gonna be ok, just follow me this way. Is the father present? He can come too.

(silence)

DERRICK - I brought her to the hospital!

BOBBY - I am the father!

DERRICK - You didn't even know she was here!

BOBBY - So what? I'm here now and I am the father!

DERRICK - What, since last week? You haven't been doing the things that I have for all these months!

BOBBY - Fuck you!

CARYN - Oooooooh Gaaaawwd!

NURSE - Hey! Hey! Hey! Are you coming or not?

(The nurse turns to BOBBY.)

NURSE - Are you coming or not?

(BOBBY stares at DERRICK and then turns to walk with CARYN and the nurse.)

BOBBY - I'm coming! To see my baby!

(DERRICK grabs CARYN's hand as she is being led away. CARYN looks back at him.)

DERRICK crying - You're gonna be fine...

(DERRICK wipes his eyes.)

DERRICK - ...go have a healthy baby.

(silence)

(CARYN kisses DERRICK's hand, then is lead inside with BOBBY and the nurse.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our scenes change. KATRICE is at home reading.

KATRICE reads - "The doorbell rang several times, followed by the knocking. With each beat, the slamming was louder. I shifted, tugged the sperm-stiffened sheets back, and sat up, putting my feet on the cool floor. The way the winds were singing, it had to be damn cold, with a serious windchill outside. Too cold to be anywhere this time of morning starting some shit. But a fool...

(KATRICE's phone rings.)

KATRICE thinks - Damn.

(KATRICE puts her bookmark into her book and closes it. She answers the phone.)

KATRICE - Hello?

APRIL - Hi.

KATRICE - Hi April.

APRIL - What you doin'?

KATRICE - Just maxin'. Reading a good book.

APRIL - Oh yeah? What you reading?

KATRICE - Milk in my coffee. It's by Eric Jerome Dickey. You know he's frat.

APRIL - Really? I didn't know that.

KATRICE - Yeah, he's frat.

APRIL - That's cool.

KATRICE - What's the deal with you?

APRIL - Nothing girl. Nothing much.

(silence)

APRIL - So are you gonna be reading for a...

KATRICE - Actually no, I am finished reading. I am about to go to bed.

APRIL - Oh...ok. I'll catch you later then. Ok?

KATRICE - Cool. Skeewee soror.

APRIL - Skeewee girlie.

(KATRICE and APRIL hang up. KATRICE sits up and continues to read.)

KATRICE reads - "But a fool was a fool, no matter what the time or temperature. I asked, Want me to leave? I wouldn't give him the satisfaction. We could talk later. Everything's okay. Her words were faster than...

(There is a knock at KATRICE's door.)

KATRICE thinks - Wow, I wonder who this is?

(KATRICE places her bookmark into her book and closes it. She gets up and walks to the door.)

KATRICE - Who is it?

APRIL - It's April.

KATRICE - April? How the hell...

(KATRICE opens the door. APRIL is standing there.)

KATRICE - April? How the hell did you get here so fast?

APRIL - I never said I was home. I do have a cell phone you know.

KATRICE - Uh‚...ok.

APRIL - Well?

KATRICE - Well...what?

APRIL - Well are you gonna invite me in or am I gonna stand in your hallway?

(KATRICE stands aside and APRIL walks in.)

KATRICE thinks - Damn.

APRIL - I thought you were going to sleep.

KATRICE - I was.

APRIL - Looks to me like you were still reading.

KATRICE - Books help me to relax.

APRIL - I guess jeans and sneakers do too.

KATRICE - Huh?

APRIL - You don't look dressed for bed. You still have on your jeans and sneakers.

(KATRICE looks down at herself.)

KATRICE - So I do.

(APRIL sits down.)

APRIL - Why don't you tell me the real deal Katrice.

KATRICE - What? What real deal?

APRIL - You know perfectly well what real deal. Don't play games with me. Why the hell have you been avoiding me?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We rejoin CANDACE and the Alphas in the hospital.

CANDACE crying - Noooooooo! Nooooooooo! Niiinoooooooo!

(CANDACE falls to her knees as LARRY is holding her.)

CANDACE crying - Noooooooooo!

(SHAREESA quickly runs up and joins CANDACE and LARRY on the floor.)

GREGG crying - Doctor, he can't be gone! Nino can't be gone from us! He was fine just yesterday! He was...fine...fine only...yester...

(DR. RANIER puts his hand on GREGG's shoulder.)

DR. RANIER - I'm sorry son. I'm sor...

GREGG crying - No! Wait a minute! I don't believe it!

(GREGG forcefully grabs DR. RANIER's arms.)

GREGG crying - I think you need to check...check Nino again! You need...you need...you need to check Nino...again! Oh my God no! No!

(GREGG's grab turns into a hug as he begins to cry heavily into DR. RANIER's chest.)

DONTE - I don't believe this. I don't believe this.

(OCTAVIA turns to DONTE with tears in her eyes.)

OCTAVIA - Are you...ok Donte?

(DONTE turns and looks OCTAVIA in the face but doesn't say a word. One tear falls from his eyes. Then another. OCTAVIA embraces DONTE.)

CANDACE crying - I have to see him! I have to see him!

(LARRY looks at CANDACE and then at SHAREESA. He begins to pick CANDACE up.)

CANDACE crying - Dr. Ranier, I have to see him. Can I see him?

(GREGG lets go of the doctor and puts his hands on his face.)

DR. RANIER - Yes. You can see him. Would you like someone with you?

CANDACE crying - Uh...uh yes. Can Gregg come?

(GREGG lifts his head from his hands and looks at CANDACE.)

DR. RANIER - Sure.

(GREGG tries to collect himself. He looks around the room. REGGIE is sitting down crying loudly. JASON, LARRY and QUINTON are now crying together. OCTAVIA and DONTE are hugging each other crying. DEXTER is standing by the window with his head in his hands.)

CANDACE crying - We have to go see him Gregg.

(GREGG lastly looks at SHAREESA who's face is completely wet and has tears falling from her eyes like rain.)

GREGG - O...ok. I have to...go...

(SHAREESA walks up and throws her arms around GREGG. As he hugs her back, he lets out a loud cry. He squeezes her tight and cries until her hair gets wet from his tears.)

DR. RANIER - We need to go back now.

(GREGG lets go of SHAREESA and looks her in the eyes. She is still crying. SHAREESA reaches up and wipes GREGG's face.)

DR. RANIER - Come with me please.

(GREGG turns and grabs CANDACE's hand. Everyone watches as CANDACE and GREGG follow DR. RANIER through the double doors.)

No comments: