Episode 33

We begin this week's episode with OCTAVIA and MAXINE who are talking in the Callis Student Union.

MAXINE - I never thought I would get to this stage of the game. Graduation. This is the scariest time of my life.

OCTAVIA - I am looking forward to it.

MAXINE - You say that now. But when it creeps up, you won't know what to do with yourself. Ha ha ha. You are gonna miss sorors and the yard so much it is gonna be crazy.

OCTAVIA - Well I aint much of a yard person anyway. Never have been.

MAXINE - Trust me. You gonna miss this great cafateria food too.

(They laugh.)

OCTAVIA - So what exactly is so scary?

MAXINE - Well, I have the grades and the resume to go anywhere I want. That is no doubt.

OCTAVIA - So what is the problem?

MAXINE - The problem is that my father is a major player in the architecture game. He owns one of the largest firms.

OCTAVIA - Then you have it easy. You have a job waiting for you.

MAXINE - But that is my problem. I don't want to work there.

OCTAVIA - Really? Why not?

MAXINE - I thought I did. All my life I have wanted to design. I used to draw a lot as a little girl and my father would call me his little apprentice. But the thing is, he is very overbearing. I think that working for him on a serious level would damage our relationship. Business is very business.

OCTAVIA - So he is a slave driver?

MAXINE - Well...he is just very stern on his employees. I was so excited to intern there but after spending two summers there, I made up my mind that I didn't ever want to work there. I even told him that I would not want to work for him if he belittled his employees the way that I had seen him do.

OCTAVIA - What did he say?

MAXINE - He said that if I didn't want to work for him, then I didn't want to work.

(They giggle.)

OCTAVIA - So what are you gonna do?

MAXINE - That is why I have you here. What do you think I should do?

OCTAVIA - Girl I don't know. I didn't bring my crystal ball with me today.

(They laugh as SYLVIA approaches with her tray of food.)

SYLVIA - Hey scoot over.

MAXINE - What's up Syl.

OCTAVIA - Hey.

(OCTAVIA steals a french fry from SYLVIA's tray.)

SYLVIA - Chillin. What is up with yall?

MAXINE - Octavia was just gonna tell me how I should tell Dad that I aint working for him.

SYLVIA - Really? Oh this I have to hear!

OCTAVIA - Whoa, wait a minute. I told you that I had no idea what you should do. I have enough problems of my own.

MAXINE - What? Problems?

SYLVIA - You are like the smartest person at Ahpla! You have raised the overal gpa of the chapter, and you are probably gonna be valedictorian next year. You can walk into any med school you want. So what the heck are you talking about?

(OCTAVIA laughs.)

OCTAVIA - Anyway! Whatever! I have problems too you know.

(SYLVIA and MAX joke with each other.)

SYLVIA - Max, I don't know whether to drive the Mercedes or the Jag.

MAXINE - I know soror! Such dilemas! Should I vacation in Cancun or the French Riviera?

OCTAVIA - Shut up!

(They all laugh.)

MAXINE - No seriously, what problems could you possibly have?

OCTAVIA - Well it's not me exactly.

SYLVIA - Well who is it?

(silence)

OCTAVIA - Well it's Donte. Graduation is approaching and he needs to be in cap and gown.

SYLVIA - Well what is up with that? Can he finish all of his requirements.

OCTAVIA - Yes he can. He has to get through some real tough finals. My problem is keeping his attitude up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ahpla basketball team is just finishing up with basketball practice.

COACH EDWARDS has just given them a break.

RICKY - Yo man, you can act like it was no big deal if you want to. But that shot that you took on Buck was perfect. Simply perfect. You are the fuckin' man!

DERRICK - Whatever man.

(DERRICK laughs.)

RICKY - I'm serious man. I heard that nigga talking shit. He has always been a loud mouth.

DERRICK - But he does have game to back it up.

RICKY - Not like you though. That shot that you took was in slow motion D, it was like...

(RICKY pretends he is the basketball moving through the air in slow motion. DERRICK and the rest of the team laugh.)

DERRICK - Man you are stupid.

RICKY - But seriously, how did you block him out of your mind?

DERRICK - I don't know. I know that in that first half, that nigga was getting in my head seriously.

RICKY - What did he say?

(DERRICK shoots the ball. It goes in.)

DERRICK - It wasn't so much what he said that bothered me. It was how much he knew. He knew some real personal shit about me and there is only one way he could have found all of that out.

RICKY - How?

DERRICK - June.

RICKY - June? What are you talking about?

DERRICK - He is seeing June now.

RICKY - No!

DERRICK - That is what he said.

RICKY - He must have been lying.

DERRICK - Well then how did he know all that shit about me? She had to tell him. There is no other way.

RICKY - But June doesn't seem like the type. She is real nice, I can't imagine her doing that to you.

DERRICK - I couldn't either. But I guess you really don't know a person huh? I mean, that shit with me and Caryn and the baby is mad personal. And the fact that I didn't want June to pledge? How did he know all of that? I misjudged June fo sho.

RICKY - Damn man, I am surprised.

DERRICK - Me too but it's ok...

(DERRICK takes another shot and misses.)

DERRICK - ...I'm gonna get to the bottom of that shit. The next time I see her ass.

COACH EDWARDS - Guys, come over here. Listen, I'm gonna let you guys go early today...

(The team starts to high five each other.)

COACH EDWARDS - Don't get hype because we are having a double session tomorrow!

RICKY - What! A double session!

COACH EDWARDS - Gotcha! Just kidding.

(The whole team laughs.)

DERRICK - Alright Coach, you got us!

COACH EDWARDS - But really guys, I just want to say that you guys did a great job against Amgis. You really kept your composure and I am proud of you. All of you.

RICKY - Awww coach, you gonna make me cry.

(Everyone laughs.)

COACH EDWARDS - Ricky...

RICKY - Yeah coach?

COACH EDWARDS - Take a lap.

(The team laughs and so does RICKY until he sees that COACH EDWARDS is not smiling.)

RICKY - Aw man!

COACH EDWARDS - Alright guys, hit the shower.

(Everyone starts to head to the locker and laugh at RICKY as COACH EDWARDS grabs DERRICK.)

COACH EDWARDS - Derrick, come here for a minute.

(They walk together to the coach's private office. As COACH EDWARDS opens the door, there is a man dressed in a dark suit admiring a picture on the coach's wall.)

COACH EDWARDS - Have a seat Derrick. I would like for you to meet Lowell Dodge. He is an NBA rep from the Portlaind Trailblazers.

DERRICK thinks - Oh shit!

DERRICK smiling - It is such a pleasure to meet you sir.

LOWELL - The pleasure is mine son. You played a great game against Amgis.

(They all sit down.)

DERRICK - Thank you. I try.

LOWELL - Try? That was a marvelous comeback. But you also played great against Howard, Morgan and Fam.

DERRICK - How do you...

LOWELL - You were kinda slow against Del State, but you recovered well in the second half. Slow against Hampton too. I don't know what happened to you in North Carolina. You were sloppy that night.

(DERRICK glances at COACH EDWARDS in disbelief. Then back at LOWELL.)

DERRICK - You were at all those games?

LOWELL - Yep.

DERRICK - Coach, why didn't you tell me?

(COACH EDWARDS just smiles.)

LOWELL - I wasn't ready for your coach to tell you yet. We weren't sure what exactly we were looking for in Portland so there was no purpose in getting your hopes up. But after a few games and reviewing your consistent stats, I wanted coach to let you know that I was gonna be at the biggest game of the year. I wanted to see if it would make you nervous or whether you could keep your composure. I thought you were nervous in the first half but that second half was brilliant.

(DERRICK smiles.)

LOWELL - What are your plans tonight?

DERRICK - Not much. My girlfriend is meeting me here after practice.

LOWELL - Good. She can join us. I hope you two are hungry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CANDACE is in her room packing up her things.

CANDACE thinks - I can't believe I am leaving already and it seems like I just got here.

(She folds up a Southern University sweatshirt and places it in a suit case.)

CANDACE thinks - This has been the worst year of my life. Lord help me get through this. Please.

(CANDACE takes in a deep breath so she won't start to cry...again.)

(The telephone rings.)

CANDACE - Ahem. Hello?

REGGIE - Hey Candace, it's Reggie.

CANDACE - Hi Reggie, how are you doing?

REGGIE - Cool, I'm cool. How are you?

CANDACE - Just packing up.

(silence)

REGGIE - I see. Have you informed the administration office? Or your academic dean or anything?

CANDACE - Actually no. I have still been going to class and everything. I just don't know. I feel like I have been walking around in a dream or something.

REGGIE - Yeah.

(silence)

REGGIE - Well I was calling to tell you that the brothers have decided to start a fund in Nino's name. Like a scholarship fund.

CANDACE - Really?

REGGIE - Yeah. I passed the idea to Bobby and it went over great. Everyone thought it would be perfect to set up.

CANDACE - That sounds wonderful Reggie, thank you.

REGGIE - Yeah but...

CANDACE - But what?

REGGIE - Well, the brothers wanted me to ask you if you would help them spearhead it.

CANDACE -Spearhead the scholarship fund?

REGGIE - Yeah.

CANDACE - How can I do that if I am not at Ahpla anymore?

REGGIE - Exactly.

(silence)

REGGIE - Candace, everyone wants you to stay. I know that you need to decide what is best for you. And that is fine. We will all respect that and support that. But we just want you to know that we will miss you a great deal if you leave. And that if you did decide to stay, this is something that we thought we could do...together.

(silence)

CANDACE - Can I pray about it?

REGGIE - Please do. At least you didn't say no.

CANDACE - I didn't say yes either.

REGGIE - But you didn't say no. Take whatever time you need. Like maybe until you graduate to decide.

(CANDACE laughs.)

CANDACE - Very funny.

REGGIE - Give me a call when you get a chance.

CANDACE - Alright.

(They hang up and CANDACE immediately falls to her knees.)

CANDACE prays - Father, maybe in all of this you are trying to teach me something. I don't know. But I need a sign. Something from you that tells me what you want me to do. Because Lord...I don't know. I don't know what to do. Please speak to me. Give me a sign. Let me know what it is you want me to do. Help me to make sense of all of this and help me to get over this...pain. And...tell Nino...that I love him. Amen.

(CANDACE gets up and wipes her eyes. She takes a deep breath and starts to pack again.)

(The telephone rings.)

CANDACE - Hello.

MARTIN - Hello, is Candace there?

CANDACE - This is Candace.

MARTIN - Hi Candace, um, my name is Martin. You don't know me but I was very close to Nino.

CANDACE - You were? How do you know him?

MARTIN - I attend Chapman high school and he was my big brother in the mentor program.

CANDACE - Oh yeah, I knew he was involved in that.I remember him telling me about you, I recognize your name now.

MARTIN - Well I just...um...wanted to call you and express my sympathy. He was very special to me.

CANDACE - Well thank you Martin.

MARTIN - I was at the funeral but I couldn't get up to the front. It was very crowded and I didn't want to disturb you or anything.

CANDACE - Oh that would have been alright.

MARTIN - Well I didn't know. Well anyway, I just wanted to call and acquaint myself with you. I will be on your campus soon.

CANDACE - Really? You coming to visit?

MARTIN - Oh no, I got accepted to Ahpla. Nino was my mentor ever since my sophomore year in high school. I want to be just like him. I applied to Ahpla and I got in. I start next semester.

(silence)

CANDACE - That is beautiful Martin. Congratulations.

MARTIN - So I was looking forward to meeting you too. Nino has told me many good things about you.

(silence)

CANDACE - Yes...maybe.

MARTIN - Well I didn't want to hold you up. Just wanted to say hello...and I am sorry.

CANDACE - Thank you. Thank you Martin.

MARTIN - Talk to you soon.

CANDACE - Oh Martin...

MARTIN - Yes?

CANDACE - If you ever need anything, please call me.

MARTIN - Hey thanks.

CANDACE - Bye bye.

MARTIN - Bye.

(They hang up. CANDACE wipes her eyes.)

CANDACE thinks - Wow, he was real nice. Nino left a very positive impression on him...on a lot of...

(There is a knock on the door.)

CANDACE thinks - I wonder who this is.

(CANDACE opens the door.)

ALEXIS - Hello Candace.

CANDACE - Hi Alexis. Come on in. What brings you by?

(ALEXIS follows her in.)

ALEXIS - Just wanted to talk. How are you?

CANDACE - I am maintaining. Trying to tie up some loose ends.

(ALEXIS looks around.)

ALEXIS - Going somewhere?

CANDACE - Uh yeah. Louisiana.

ALEXIS - You are leaving school?

(silence)

CANDACE - I am praying on it. But since I am leaning toward leaving, I started to pack.

ALEXIS - Wow.

CANDACE - But I know you didn't come over here to talk about me moving. What did you need to talk about?

(They sit down.)

ALEXIS - Well I guess it is indirectly affected if you do leave Ahpla.

CANDACE - I am confused. What do you mean?

ALEXIS - Well, I just wanted to ask you a few questions about your sorority, Sigma Gamma Rho.

No comments: