Episode 27

We begin this week's episode with CARYN who is resting with BABY DERRICK in her arms and BOBBY by her side.

BOBBY - He is such a cute little boy! He looks just like me! Give me his hand.

(BOBBY takes the baby's hand and tries to get him to make the Alpha sign.)

CARYN - Stop that!

BOBBY laughing - Just playing. My little future Alpha man!

(The door opens and the nurse walks in.)

NURSE - Caryn, how are you feeling?

CARYN - I am ok.

NURSE - Good. Um, Bobby, can I see you for a minute in the hall?

BOBBY - Yeah, sure.

(BOBBY follows the nurse into the hall. She closes the door behind them.)

BOBBY - What's the matter?

NURSE - Your friends that were here earlier need to speak with you.

BOBBY - Oh thank you.

(BOBBY goes out into the lobby and sees LARRY and CANDACE near the pay phones.)

BOBBY - Frat, I am a father!

LARRY - You are? Congrats man.

(silence)

LARRY - I hate to dampen your great news with tragic news but...

BOBBY - Tragic news? What happened to Nino?

(DERRICK is sitting on the other side of the lobby separated by many chairs and other patients. He is sitting on the floor.)

NURSE - Would you like to see Caryn?

(DERRICK looks up.)

DERRICK - Huh?

NURSE - Would you like to see Caryn and little Derrick?

DERRICK - Little Derrick? Little Derrick?

(DERRICK smiles big.)

DERRICK - Sure but...

NURSE - Don't worry, Bobby has left.

DERRICK - Bless you!

(DERRICK jumps to his feet and follows the nurse.)

NURSE - Here they are.

(DERRICK stops as he looks through the door and sees CARYN talking to the baby.)

DERRICK thinks - Oh my God!

NURSE - Do you want to go in?

DERRICK - Wait one second.

DERRICK thinks - God, I know I don't pray often...but please...please help me be the father that my dad wasn't. Even though, technically...this baby isn't...mine.

(DERRICK and the nurse walk in.)

NURSE - I brought Derrick in to see you.

CARYN - Oh thank you. Hi Derrick! Look!

(DERRICK comes over smiling.)

DERRICK - Oh my goodness! A little basketball player. Are you ok Caryn?

CARYN - I am tired but I can't sleep. I am too excited.

(DERRICK leans down and kisses CARYN on the cheek.)

DERRICK - You did great.

CARYN - Thank you.

DERRICK - No thank you. Thank you for allowing me to at least share in this time with you.

CARYN - Thank you for not abandoning me when you knew I had done you wrong. Thank you.

(DERRICK and CARYN are holding hands.)

CARYN - Do you want to hold him?

DERRICK - Can I?

CARYN - Sure, here, watch his head.

(DERRICK leans down and carefully picks up little DERRICK who is sleeping.)

DERRICK whispers - Hey little D.

(DERRICK cradles the baby close to him and rocks him side to side.)

CARYN - You are a natural.

(DERRICK smiles. He uses one arm to hold the baby and the other to hold CARYN's hand. The door flies open.)

BOBBY crying - Caryn! Nino is de...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

We change scenes and find TRINA in her room by herself. She is cutting herself out of pictures containing her and BOBBY.

TRINA thinks - I can't believe myself, I am such a fool!

(cut...cut..cut)

TRINA thinks - He has made a fool out of me for a long time and I am tired of it!

(cut...cut)

TRINA thinks - It's about time Bobby got a taste of his own medicine! I am fed up!

(TRINA picks up the phone and dials.)

RONNIE - What the deal?

TRINA - What's up Ronnie?

RONNIE - Hey Trina. What's going on?

TRINA - Oh nothing, just cutting up some pictures of Booby.

RONNIE - Huh?

TRINA - I am through with that nigga for real! He has broken my heart for the last time!

RONNIE - Well it is about time somebody came to their senses! Shit!

TRINA - I am so pissed off though. And hurt. He has never had any regard for my feelings.

RONNIE - That's true.

TRINA - All he cares about is himself. He didn't care for Alexis because if he did, he wouldn't have had me.

RONNIE - True true.

TRINA - I am just pissed.

RONNIE - Sounds like it.

TRINA - So many things are running through my head now! So many things that seem so clear now but I couldn't see when I was involved with that nigga.

RONNIE - Like what?

TRINA - Like the fact that he would have never voluntarily told Alexis about us. He swore that he loved me and not her. He told me that any day now he was gonna tell her about us and then we could be together. But of course, that day never came. It was always one excuse after the next of why he had to wait. It was never a good time.

RONNIE - But what the hell is a good time to break someone's heart? That is a foul concept right there. Ya know?

TRINA - Yeah.

RONNIE - If you hadn't initiated it, he never would have told Alexis.

TRINA - I know that...now.

RONNIE - Well at least you did come to your senses and you got out of it.

TRINA - Yeah but now is the tricky part.

RONNIE - What do you mean?

TRINA - How do I get that nigga back for what he did to me?

RONNIE - Get him back?

TRINA - Hell yeah!

RONNIE - Revenge is not always as sweet as it sounds. You need to leave it alone and move on.

TRINA - Fuck that!

RONNIE - Well what do you want to do?

TRINA - That is the thing. I don't know what would be best. I want to beat that negro at his own game somehow but I can't figure ou...hey wait a minute.

RONNIE - What?

TRINA - I got it! I can beat Bobby at his own game by dating you!

RONNIE - What?

TRINA - It is perfect! If I was all of a sudden your girl, that would burn him up. Don't you see? He would be insanely jealous! I know Bobby and his ego is the size of a mountain. That would burn him good!

RONNIE - Trina, revenge is not a good reason to enter a relationship.

TRINA - Why not?

RONNIE - Because you are forgetting one very important element.

TRINA - What?

RONNIE - Me! What about my feelings?

(silence)

TRINA - Ronnie, I am not trying to hurt you. But I know that you dislike Bobby every single day as much as I dislike him at this moment. And dating me would be a highlight for you too, just because of that.

(silence)

TRINA - Am I wrong?

(silence)

RONNIE - Nope, you got yourself a deal!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We come back to APRIL and KATRICE who were discussing NINO's death when there was a knock at the door.

KATRICE thinks - Oh shit! I hope that's not Donna!

APRIL - Who is coming by here at this time of night?

KATRICE - I don't know. Hold on, let me check.

KATRICE thinks - Shit!

(KATRICE slowly gets up and walks to the door. She looks through the peephole and DONNA is standing there.)

KATRICE thinks - Shit!

KATRICE - Just one minute.

(KATRICE walks back to APRIL.)

APRIL - Who is it?

KATRICE - This girl that I was talking to...about the sorority.

APRIL - Oh she wants to be an AKA?

KATRICE - Well, I don't think she is sure. She is still in the closet about a lot of things.

APRIL - Well let her in. I will help her figure it out! Ha ha ha!

KATRICE - April, let me do the talking ok? I don't want you scaring her away.

APRIL - Ok, I'll be good.

KATRICE thinks - Dammit!

(KATRICE walks to the door and opens it.)

DONNA - Hey.

KATRICE - Hi, come on in.

(DONNA walks in and sees APRIL.)

DONNA - Oh I didn't know you had company.

DONNA thinks - Oh it's on like that up in here? Ok, I'm with it! She is cute!

KATRICE - Donna, this is April my soror. April, this is Donna.

APRIL - Hello.

DONNA - Hey, what's up.

APRIL thinks - Hey what's up?

KATRICE - Uh...can I get you something Donna?

DONNA - Yeah, a soda.

(KATRICE hesitantly goes to the fridge.)

DONNA - So April, tell me a little about yourself.

(DONNA looks APRIL up and down.)

APRIL thinks - It's a good thing this girl doesn't know any better! Plus I promised that I would be nice.

APRIL - I pledged last year. There were two of us on line. Myself and Octavia. You should know her. We just brought in the neos, Katrice, June and Presjina.

DONNA thinks - Is AKA all this girl thinks about?

(KATRICE comes back with the soda.)

KATRICE - Here ya go.

DONNA - Thanks.

APRIL - So Donna, what types of things do you enjoy?

KATRICE thinks - Oh God!

DONNA - I am a very free spirited and open minded person.

(DONNA smiles seductively at KATRICE but APRIL doesn't notice.)

DONNA - There is a lot to me that others don't know.

APRIL - Really? I am the same way.

(APRIL smiles at KATRICE.)

APRIL - I have my defenses up at times because I don't let people get too close. There are many sides to me that nobody knows. Not even my parents.

DONNA - I think you have to have that though. It separates you from the norm, and makes you who you are.

APRIL - Right. I agree.

KATRICE - Boy, it sure is late.

DONNA - Let me ask you April, how did you keep everything on the hush? You know, how did you stay so quiet with yours?

APRIL - That wasn't easy actually. I knew what I wanted and I knew that I wanted it bad. So I did what I had to do to get it. But it was eating me away to not say anything.

DONNA - Me too!

APRIL - But I kept doing it. I kept at it. It is better that way because when the whole campus is up in your business, it makes life much harder later on.

DONNA - Oh I agree!

APRIL - But it helps when you meet other women who are interested just like you are. Because they can help you get through the tough times.

DONNA - I know that is the truth!

KATRICE - Did anybody see the super bowl commercials?

DONNA - So like, how did you come out?

APRIL - Oh let me tell you. It was a Friday...

DONNA thinks - Damn, she remembers the day?

APRIL - ...so the yard was packed! We were so excited because some of my friends knew that we were coming out that day.

DONNA - What! How did they know?

KATRICE thinks - Oh God!

APRIL - The word always leaks out somehow. So they knew that we were coming out and they all came out to see.

DONNA - Ha ha ha! To see? Oh you are the bomb! Ha ha ha ha!

APRIL - Oh you have no idea! It was so off the hook! People were screaming and cheering when we came out. We were so tight!

KATRICE - Look yall, I am real tired...

DONNA - Oh God! That is the best story I have ever heard! Ha ha ha ha! Coming out on the yard! That is priceless! April, I applaud your courage. I wish I had that type of courage.

APRIL - You do. It is just deep down inside and you have to draw upon it. But don't worry...you will.

(silence)

DONNA - Thank you for those words. You have truly inspired me.

APRIL - Anytime.

(DONNA hugs APRIL.)

APRIL thinks - Ok, why is this chick hugging me? Ok, why is this chick not letting go? Ok why is this chick's hand on my ass?

No comments: