Episode 44

We begin this week's episode with DERRICK who has just answered the door to see his father LOWELL DODGE standing there.

(DERRICK slowly opens the door.)

LOWELL - Good, I was hoping that you were here!

DERRICK - What the hell are you doing here?

LOWELL - Nice way to talk to your old man.

(DERRICK begins to close the door. LOWELL puts his hand on the door.)

LOWELL - What is the matter with you Derrick! Are you crazy or something!

DERRICK - Man, I aint got no words for you!

LOWELL - Well you better listen to my words then!

DERRICK - Bullshit! Let me tell you something deadbeat...

JUNE - You have company Derrick?

(DERRICK turns around and sees JUNE approaching. As he looks back, LOWELL pushes open the door and sees JUNE.)

JUNE - Derrick, I can leave if you need me to...

DERRICK - Hell no, he was just leav...

LOWELL - I am not leaving until I talk some sense into you son!

JUNE - Son? Son?

DERRICK thinks - Shit!

JUNE - Derrick, is this your...father?

(silence)

LOWELL - Yes maam, I am Derrick's dad.

(LOWELL pushes past DERRICK and extends his hand to shake JUNE's. JUNE slowly shakes his hand.)

JUNE - Uh...you are Derrick's dad? I can't belie...

LOWELL - My name is Lowell Dodge. And you must be June.

JUNE - Yeah...uh yeah I am.

DERRICK - How the hell do you know June?

LOWELL - Like I told you, I do my research.

JUNE - Okay, I am very confused.

(DERRICK closes the door.)

DERRICK - Well let me bring you up to speed. My dad here walks out on me and mom when we were broke. Didn't have shit and didn't have a dad. All I had was a basketball. I don't even remember this nigga's face, he left when I was so damn young. My mother raised me! My mother! I play ball in high school, just to get my mom a big house! I play ball at Ahpla just to be able to get my mom a big house! Now that I am super star athlete, basketball player, dear old dad is back on the scene! Hell no!

LOWELL - Don't tell the story Derrick if you are gonna forget key parts. You didn't mention how I followed your career. I was too ashamed to say a thing to you but I sat at your high school games. I took your stats. I watched you play for Ahpla. I was the one who got you the tryout with the Trailblazers.

JUNE - The Trailblazers? The Portland Trailblazers?

LOWELL - Yes, the Portland Trailblazers. It took me years to work up the kind of connections that I knew could help my son. I knew there was no way for me to apologize for leaving. So I thought that by doing this for you, it would help...help you realize your dream. Your dream of playing in the NBA.

DERRICK - Well you thought wrong!

JUNE - Derrick, you had the opportunity to play in the NBA?

LOWELL - Derrick don't be a fool! You can hate me all you want! But use me to get yourself into the NBA! That is what you really want! I wasn't even going to tell you that I am your father. Not until after you signed to play professional ball.

DERRICK - Hell no! When I really needed you, you weren't there! I don't need you to help me to get into the NBA! I needed you to pick me up from school when I was little. I needed you to go to the father son picnic with me! Now all you wanna do is jump on the band wagon and claim rights to me!

JUNE - But Derrick, wait a minute. You are talking about the NBA now? I mean...I mean come on Derrick. Your dad may have a point, this is what you want. This is what you have always wanted.

DERRICK - What I have always wanted was a father.

(silence)

LOWELL - Derrick, I am sorry for the way things went down over the years. I was scared and young when I left. That was the biggest mistake I have ever made in my life and I am sorry. But I cannot go back and change the past. All I can do is try to make things better for the future. I can try and help you get to where you want and need to be.

DERRICK - And then where does that leave me and you?

LOWELL - That leaves you playing in the league with a fabulous contract, a nice signing bonus on a growing team.

(silence)

DERRICK - And where does that leave you?

LOWELL - That leaves me where I left off...where I should have been since a long time ago. It leaves me as your dad.

(There is a knock on the door.)

DERRICK - You know what dad? I don't think so! That leaves you as the dad of a super star basketball player. If I had no ball skills you wouldn't even be here! So to hell with you!

JUNE - Baby, how can you say that to your father?

DERRICK thinks - Baby?

(There is another knock on the door.)

DERRICK - Did you just call me baby?

(JUNE grabs DERRICK's hand.)

JUNE - Baby, I remember all that you said about your father. I know how that void has been in your life. But I also know how much you want to play in the NBA. You can buy your mother that house. You can...

(CARYN uses her key and walks in.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our scenes change and we find MAX who was just told by WIL the reason that DONTE did not graduate. Her father walked up at the same time.

WIL - Donte dropped one class right at the end of the semester. He dropped it so he could stay at Ahpla with Octavia. He could have graduated, but he wanted to be here with her.

MAX - What!

MR. SVENSON - Hey baby girl! Daddy is here!

(MAX and WIL both turn around.)

MAX thinks - Oh damn!

MAX - Hey dad!

(MAX hugs her father.)

MAX - Dad, this is Wil, one of my frat brothers. Wil, this is my father.

WIL - Nice to meet you sir.

MR. SVENSON - It's my pleasure. Max, I'll be in the car.

MAX - Okay dad, I'll be right there.

(MR. SVENSON walks away.)

WIL - Max, I'll talk to you later girl.

MAX - Uh...yeah Wil. Um...

WIL - Hey hey listen, what I told you about Donte is between me and you okay?

MAX - Huh?

WIL - Promise me you won't tell anybody.

MAX - I can't do that Wil.

WIL - Max, that is confidential information. That is none of mine nor your business. That is between Octavia and my boy D.

MAX - Maybe, I just aint making no promises.

WIL - Uh huh. I see how you do.

MAX - Don't be that way Wil. Look, I gotta go. Talk to ya later.

WIL - Uh huh.

(MAX walks away.)

MAX thinks - There is no way in hell I am not telling Octavia that shit!

(MAX walks up to her father's car and gets in.)

MR. SVENSON - So how are you feeling honey?

MAX - Good daddy. How was the drive?

MR. SVENSON - Good. Nice weather too.

MAX - That's nice.

MAX thinks - I can't believe Donte! That is crazy!

MR. SVENSON - You want to get something to eat?

MAX - Huh?

MR. SVENSON - Do you want to eat?

MAX - You're treat right?

MR. SVENSON - Only until you graduate young lady.

MAX - Ha ha ha, okay. Let's eat. Make a left here and we can go to the Leigh Cafe off campus.

MR. SVENSON - Alright.

(They go to the cafe and have a seat. The waitress hands them menus and they begin to read through them.)

MR. SVENSON - What is good here?

MAX thinks - I have to tell Octavia. There is no way I can keep that kind of a promise to Wil. He just shouldn't have told me, that's all. I mean damn. If I see the girl, I would not be able to hold it in. That would be like lying to a soror right in her face.

MR. SVENSON - Max.

MAX - Huh? Yes?

MR. SVENSON - What do you suggest from the menu?

MAX - Oh...uh...today's lunch special looks good actually. Can't go wrong with that.

MR. SVENSON - Sounds good. I'll have that.

MAX - Good.

MAX thinks - I feel bad for Wil though. This is gonna really put him in the middle of all this. Especially if he knows this information in confidence. I hope this doesn't threaten his relationship with Don...

MR. SVENSON - Max, let me get right to the bottom of a few things. You know me, I shoot straight from the hip. I don't pull any punches and I don't beat around the bush. So here is the situation. I am very displeased at your career choice after graduation. I think that you should...

MAX thinks - ...that would be terrible. But gosh, what am I supposed to do? Wil is my boy and everything but Octavia is...

MR. SVENSON - Maxine!

MAX - Huh daddy?

MR. SVENSON - Have you been listening to a word I have been saying?

MAX - Yes daddy, I have. Go ahead, I am with you.

MR. SVENSON - Good. Now look. The opportunities with the firm right now are better than ever. We are in negotiations now with...

MAX - Opportunities with dad? Good grief, is that all he ever thinks about? Opportunities? What kind of an opportunity is Donte gonna have for himself? What the hell is he thinking? He may have a girlfriend by staying, but what does he plan to do with his life after graduation? Can he get into grad school? He has been here forever, what does his transcript look like? I still can't believe that he...

MR. SVENSON - ...so in my professional and personal opinion, you need to be with us. Go ahead and sign a contract with us and we will make it worth your...

MAX thinks - I need to get to a phone and call Octavia. Maybe she is still at Ashante's place. Maybe I can sneak away from daddy and go to the bathroom. Then I can use my cell phone and...

MR. SVENSON - So what do you think?

(silence)

MR. SVENSON - Max, what do you think?

MAX - Uh...about what...what you said?

MR. SVENSON - Yes. I know I said a lot, but what do you think?

MAX thinks - Oh shit, what did he say?

(silence)

MAX - Sure daddy. I think it is great.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------------------------------------------

CANDACE is at ALEXIS' house hanging out.

ALEXIS - So is your mother or grandmother a member of Sigma Gamma Rho or are you the first in your family?

CANDACE - Both of them are sorors?

ALEXIS - Reall? Wow!

CANDACE - Yep, I am third generation.

ALEXIS - That is so cool! So they were there for you when you pledged?

CANDACE - Oh yes indeed. They both came to my pinning ceremony. I cried like a baby, moreso because of my mother.

ALEXIS - Wow! Why because of your mother?

CANDACE - Well, my mom has been inactive for a long time. I really was surprised to see her. My grandmother is active, bless her heart. As she would say.

(They both laugh.)

CANDACE - But I didn't think my mother would show up.

ALEXIS - That is so cool.

CANDACE - Plus, my mother travels a lot on business. So she calls me from all over the place. I think she is in Tokyo now.

ALEXIS - Damn!

CANDACE - Yeah, so for her to show up, that meant that she had to adjust her schedule, and then come through.

ALEXIS - I wuld be crying too.

CANDACE- Yeah. But the best part is that she started to come around more often and now she is active in the sorority again.

ALEXIS - That is wonderful!

CANDACE - Yeah, I am very happy about that.

ALEXIS - That is very inspirational. I don't have any greek members in my family.

CANDACE - Oh no?

ALEXIS - Naw. Actually didn't ever know much about it until I dated Bobby. And now I know too much messin' around with the Alphas.

(They both laug hard.)

CANDACE - I hear ya. At least you got a good one like I did.

ALEXIS - Yeah. Finally though. Quinton is great.

CANDACE - Yeah, he is a real nice guy. Nino always spoke very highly of him.

ALEXIS - Did he really?

CANDACE - Yeah he did. He thought that Quinton was the thinker of the line. Larry is the practical joker and Jason...well Jason just stays up in some drama!

(They laugh again.)

CANDACE - But Quinton is a leader. I see him going far.

ALEXIS - Yeah, I see that too. He really has a good heart and I am glad that we met when we did. We just hit it off real well. Ya know?

CANDACE - Yeah, it seems like it. Does he know that you may or may not have an interest in pledging?

(ALEXIS smiles.)

ALEXIS - I really haven't told him yet. He knows that me and you hang out a lot though.

CANDACE - Cool. Keep that under wraps for now.

ALEXIS - Okay. You want something else to drink?

CANDACE - Naw, I'm fine.

ALEXIS - So tell me more about your pinning ceremony.

CANDACE - Well obviously I can't tell you too much.

ALEXIS - Oh yeah. Hee hee.

CANDACE - But let me tell you this much. Since I became a member of Sigma, I really haven't been happier. It was one of the best things I have ever done in my life and I can say that honestly...

(There is a knock on the door.)

ALEXIS - I wonder who this is. I wasn't expecting company.

CANDACE - Cool, I'm gonna go use the bathroom then.

ALEXIS - Okay.

(ALEXIS goes to the door and opens it.)

ALEXIS - Hey babe.

QUINTON - Hi.

(QUINTON is very sarcastic but walks in.)

ALEXIS - What's the matter with you?

QUINTON - What's the matter with me? No, what's the matter with you Alexis!

ALEXIS - What? What happened?

QUINTON - You know, maybe this whole thing was a bad idea.

ALEXIS - What are you talking about?

QUINTON - I just got finished talking to Bobby about those supposed secrets that he told you about my frat! And you know what? I don't know who the hell to believe! This drama triangle is too much for me!

ALEXIS - What!

(ALEXIS starts to get teary. CANDACE listens from the bathroom.)

CANDACE thinks - What in the world...

QUINTON - I don't know who the hell to believe!

ALEXIS - Quinton are you calling me a liar?

No comments: