Episode 48

We begin this week's episode with DONTE. He is upset with WIL for telling MAX about his personal reasons for not graduating. He is calling WIL now.

WIL - Hello.

DONTE - Wil, this is Donte.

WIL - Oh what's up man?

DONTE - Yo, you told Max about me not graduating?

WIL thinks - Shit!

WIL - Look man, I didn't mean to tell her but...

DONTE - But what man? I told you that shit in confidence! That is personal!

WIL - I know I know. I am sorry man. She forced it out of me. She played on my sympathy because of her friendship with Octavia. I didn't mean to play you man.

DONTE - But you did.

WIL - I didn't mean to.

(silence)

WIL - Donte seriously, I am sorry dude. But on the real, you gotta listen to what we all are saying to you. You have to get out of here.

DONTE - Wil, I already told you that this is personal and I have my reasons.

WIL - Donte don't be a fool bruh. What are you going to be a professional pledger when you grow up? A professional stepper? What are you going to do? You are staying because of Octavia and even she is leaving you because of this nonsense! So now what are you going to have?

(silence)

WIL - Donte, we are only all saying this because we care about you man. We don't want to see you throw your future away.

DONTE - I just think none of you understand me. That's all.

WIL - What? What are you talking about?

(There is a knock on DONTE's door.)

DONTE - Hold on bruh. Somebody is at my door.

WIL - Okay.

(DONTE opens the door.)

OCTAVIA - Hey there.

DONTE thinks - Oh shoot!

DONTE - Uh...hey. I didn't know that you were coming over.

OCTAVIA - Is it a bad time?

DONTE - Oh no! Come in, come in.

(OCTAVIA comes in and DONTE closes the door behind her.)

DONTE - Let me just hang up the phone with Wil. Hold on.

(DONTE picks the phone up as OCTAVIA sits down.)

DONTE - Hey Wil, I gotta go man. But we will finish this later.

WIL - Aight man. But hey, I am sorry.

DONTE - Uh huh.

(DONTE hangs up an sits next to OCTAVIA.)

DONTE - So what's up?

OCTAVIA - I am cool. How have you been?

DONTE - Maintaining.

OCTAVIA - I was thinking it would be a good idea if we spoke.

DONTE - Sure, I think that is a good idea.

OCTAVIA - Well first of all, let me say that the last few days have been hard on me. I have gone through a lot of emotions.

DONTE - Yeah, me too.

OCTAVIA - But I spoke to Max and...

DONTE - Oh God.

OCTAVIA - Before you say anything, let me finish.

(DONTE listens.)

OCTAVIA - Max told me about her conversation with Wil.

(DONTE drops his head in anger.)

OCTAVIA - I just want to understand because I don't. If this is your attempt to impress me, it didn't. Why would you want to stay at Ahpla for me?

(DONTE looks away.)

OCTAVIA - Donte talk to me.

(DONTE stands up and walks into the next room.)

OCTAVIA - Oh you just gonna walk away from me now? What kind of stuff is that Donte?

(OCTAVIA follows DONTE who pulls a box off the top of his book shelf.)

DONTE - I have something to show you. Sit down.

(OCTAVIA sits down and stays quiet just for the sake of curiosity.)

DONTE - Take a look at this picture.

(DONTE hands OCTAVIA a picture from the box. It is an old black and white photo that has been restored.)

OCTAVIA - Who are these people?

DONTE - These are my parents. This was when they graduated from here.

OCTAVIA - Your parents both went to Ahpla?

DONTE - Yeah. My father met my mother here. They graduated in the same year.

OCTAVIA - That's cool. How did they meet?

DONTE - At a skeephi banquet. My father is frat and my mother is a soror from your chapter.

OCTAVIA - She is? Oh gosh!

DONTE - One of the things that they always talk about is the chapter back then and how they graduated together.

(DONTE hands her another picture.)

DONTE - Look at this one.

OCTAVIA - Don't tell me. Your grandparents met here at Ahpla too.

(DONTE's look answers yes.)

OCTAVIA - They did? Your grandparents met here too?

DONTE - Yep. My grandfather is frat and my grandmother is a soror. She didn't pledge here though, she pledged after college.

OCTAVIA - Wow.

DONTE - But this picture is of their graduation. They graduated together.

OCTAVIA - They did? Wow, that is cool.

DONTE - This book is full of pictures of Ahpla memories from days of old. Real old.

OCTAVIA - So they are the true old school huh?

DONTE - Yes indeed! And they still talk about it.

OCTAVIA - So I think I see where you are going with this.

DONTE - Do you?

OCTAVIA - You wanted us to graduate together?

DONTE - I think it would have been nice.

(silence)

OCTAVIA - I see. Well that is sweet. It really is. Why didn't you tell me this before?

DONTE - Because you would have told me that it was a stupid idea.

(OCTAVIA smiles.)

OCTAVIA - No I wouldn't have.

DONTE - Yes you would've.

OCTAVIA - Okay maybe I would've. But you know how I feel about education. I mean...what you are doing is sweet and all, but you cannot sacrifice your life to make a kodak moment. You can put on the cap and gown and pretend we graduated together just to show our grandkids.

(They laugh together.)

OCTAVIA - You are laughing with me but somehow I don't think that this is sinking in.

(OCTAVIA hands the pictures back to DONTE.)

OCTAVIA - Let me put it in terms that you may choose to relate to better. Let's say you had a sphinxman named John.

(DONTE laughs.)

OCTAVIA - Seriously. Go along with this.

DONTE - Okay fine. John the sphinxman.

OCTAVIA - John has four line brothers who are pledging hard.

DONTE - If they are pledging this chapter they are! Ha ha ha ha.

OCTAVIA - Uh...yeah. So anyway, sphinxman John is not carrying his weight.

DONTE - He's not doing what he has to do?

OCTAVIA - Not at all. I mean, he is kinda whack. I know that some people are not good in some areas. Some people may not remember history well. Some people may forget greetings. Some people may not be able to handle the mental mind games of pledging. And some people can't handle the physical nature of it. But John is whack in all areas.

DONTE - Damn, all areas?

OCTAVIA - In every area that I mentioned, John is terrible. Brothers have seriously questioned why they put him on line in the first place and whether or not he will be a good addition to the chapter.

DONTE - Wow! Okay, continue.

OCTAVIA - The other guys are doing fine. They began the process and would always pick up the slack where sphinxman John lacked. They would carry his weight because they were supposed to, but moreso because they wanted to.

DONTE - Okay.

OCTAVIA - But after a while, they didn't want to do that any longer. They saw that he just wasn't worth the effort. They only pulled his slack now because they had to and it would be worse on all of them if they didn't. John knew this so he purposely would do no work. He knew that his line brothers would do it for him.

DONTE - Sounds like he needs his ass beat.

OCTAVIA - That doesn't seem to work. Now, here is the dilema. The line crosses tomorrow. They have been through everything there is to go through. They have grown as individuals and as a line. Everyone except John of course.

DONTE - Uh huh.

OCTAVIA - The chapter is deciding what to do. They want to cross sphinxman John with the rest eventhough they know that he is not ready. But because of timing, they feel that they have to. They can't delay the line because there is nothing more for the line to do. You don't want to penalize the rest of the line for John either.

DONTE - Okay.

OCTAVIA - So the chapter decides to cross the line, including John. For time purposes.

DONTE - They wouldn't do that.

OCTAVIA - Why not? They have to get these guys off line. They are finished.

DONTE - But they can't cross a guy who isn't ready.

OCTAVIA - Why not. Timing is important.

DONTE - Not as important as doing things the right way. Hell no I wouldn't cross that John dude. Forget timing. That's stupid.

OCTAVIA - But you think it's intelligent to try and time our graduations together? Isn't the bigger picture life after graduation?

(silence)

(DONTE smiles.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next we join the AKAs. PJ, APRIL, and KATRICE are discussing JAHANNA's actions against MONA. KATRICE however, has just learned of a letter that APRIL sent out to The Vine AKA email list confessing that she is a lesbian.

KATRICE - Hold on, it's Syl. Hello.

SYLVIA - Katrice this is Sylvia! I just found out some devastating news!

KATRICE - I heard too! We just found out!

SYLVIA - Oh my God! Can you believe this mess! How did you find out!

KATRICE - Jahanna just told me and PJ! And I just told April!

SYLVIA - April? You confronted April already?

KATRICE - Yeah, we just told her what Jahanna told us.

SYLVIA - Jahanna? How did she find out?

KATRICE - Huh? How did she find out? Jahanna is the one that did it!

SYLVIA - What! Jahanna slept with April?

KATRICE - What? Sylvia what the hell are you talking about?

SLYVIA - I am talking about this email on the vine that April sent out confessing that she is a lesbian!

(KATRICE drops the phone and turns to APRIL.)

KATRICE - Oh my God! You didn't!

APRIL - What? What happened? I didn't what?

(PJ and APRIL are looking confused.)

KATRICE - How could you! How could you tell!

APRIL - What are you screaming about?

SYLVIA - Hello? Hello? Katrice?

(PJ sees the phone on the floor and picks it up.)

PJ - Hello?

SYLVIA - Katrice?

PJ - No this is PJ. What the heck is going on?

SYLVIA - I don't even know anymore! I called Katrice about this email that I got from the vine about April, and she is talking about something involving Jahanna!

PJ - Email? What email?

APRIL - What are you screaming about? What did I do?

KATRICE - You sent an email to the vine about us?

APRIL - What?

KATRICE - You sent an email to the vine that you are gay?

APRIL - What! No I didn't! Hell no I didn't!

KATRICE - Sylvia is saying that you did!

APRIL - What? Give me the phone!

(APRIL grabs the phone from PJ.)

APRIL - Sylvia this is April. What are you talking about?

SYLVIA - I got an email from you confessing that you are a lesbian! You sent it to the vine!

APRIL - What? Hell no I didn't!

SYLVIA - How did this happen then? Are you saying that you didn't write this?

APRIL - Write what? What does it say?

Dear Sorors. I hope that this letter finds you in as good spirits as I am in in composing it. I would like to tell you all, my sisters, a little story. Sorors, when I was growing up, I was always a little different than most girls in my class. They wanted to play with dolls, I wanted to play with trucks. They wanted to put on make up, I wanted to put on overalls. My parents thought that it was a fad, a tom boy fad and that I would grow out of it. Never did, just suppressed it. In high school, most girls were caught up in the cutest boy, the captain of the basketball team or something. I was too because I had to play the part. Got to college, to Ahpla University. I knew I would meet a good man in college. Someone that could take care of me while I take care of him. Someone who would vow to love me, til death do us part. All that jazz. So I go out with a couple of guys and they are jerks. But all men are not jerks. All men are not dogs. Are they? I grew up in the church. What does the church teach us? What did the church teach me? That sex was a bad thing. That it was sin and evil. Unless sex was sanctified, in which it was after and only after you stood in front of the preacher and vowed your love before God and man. So we as humans, as women, are to surpress the urges, the natural urges that we have as humans and keep them under locks until that time where it is deemed "okay" to act upon them? I became an AKA because of the tight bond that I share with all of you. Each and every one of you. I consider you all my sisters, my closest friends. And there are times where sisters need to come together for one another. There are times when I don't want to speak to my mother. There are times when I don't want to speak to my father. There are times that I don't want to speak to my boyfriends. But my sisters and only my sisters can be there for me. Sisters, this is one of those times. I need for you all to understand that I have come to a turning point in my life. I am no longer afraid and I am ready to own up to who I am and what I am about. Let the chips fall where they may. And I am coming out to you first, because you are my sisters and I know that you will look at me as such, as a sister, regardless. Sorors, I am a lesbian. Whew! I said it! I am a lesbian and I enjoy being with a woman. The soft touch of a woman's hand. The sweet perfume that lingers on a woman when they pass you by. Yes I have dealt with men. Men that roll over and give no affection after the erection. Men that want to hit it and never call again. Men that have girlfriends when it is convenient to have girlfriends. Men that are about nothing but some bullshit. And then, I have been with women. Women who care about me. Women who touch my soul. Women who touch my mind. Women who touch my body. Women who touch my legs. Women who touch my back. Women who touch my breasts. Women who know my spots...all of them. And took their time finding them! Whew! Sorors, I am trying to tell you. There is NOTHING like being with someone that knows how to make you tingle in the best way. When a woman knows what she is doing...

Let me stop because my screen is fogging up! Back to the point. The point is that right now I don't feel afraid. The question is, will I find my fear again in the future. What I mean is, I am kinda pumped up right now. Who would ever think that I would compose a letter to AKA's confessing that I am gay. But I just had sex in the best way with a woman a few minutes ago. She is currently asleep on my bed. So right at this moment, I have the courage and the will to write this letter. But who knows how I will feel in the morning, or tomorrow or next week. I may try to come back on this very listserv and take all of these words back. I don't know. Just know that if you see me send you another letter, kind of a retraction, to not pay any attention to it. This is the genuine truth because the emotions are high right now and this feels right. It feels like the right way to express myself. If you see a letter in the future refuting this letter, ignore it. For all of you women who have not tried anything with another woman, I suggest you go try it. It is off the hook! Especially if you haven't found a man that can work it the way that you want it worked! Trust me sorors, yall are missing out! Let's all go out and try it this weekend and then log back on next week and see what the results are! Hee hee hee, sounds like fun. I know I am down to give it another go. Speaking of which, my lover is waking up. Time for some more! So let me end this letter. I hope this letter has opened your eyes about me. Specifically all of you sorors that know me personally. Don't call me and try to change my mind or change me. I have found true happiness and it was in a most unlikely place. On the lips of a woman! God bless you all! April AKA Ahpla University

(silence)

SYLVIA - April? April are you still there? Did you hear all of that? Hello? Hello?

(APRIL slowly hangs up.)

PJ - What happened?

KATRICE - Yeah, what the hell is going on?

(silence)

KATRICE - April, what is going on?

APRIL - Somebody sent a letter to the vine. From my account. I didn't send it.

PJ - But that is impossible. Who would have access to your email account?

KATRICE - Yeah, how can somebody break into your account? Do you know who could have done this?

APRIL - I know exactly who could have done this! And when I see her ass, I'm going to kill her!

PJ - Who?

(silence)

APRIL - Mona Ferguson!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MONA is speaking with the Omegas, RONNIE, DEXTER, DRE and JERREL. JAHANNA is trying to listen nearby.

RONNIE - So let me get this straight.

MONA - Uh huh.

RONNIE - This Alpha nigga Larry just jumped all over you for no reason bruh?

JERREL - That is exactly how it went down.

RONNIE - Up in Pharoahs?

JERREL - Yep.

DEXTER - But wait, I know Larry. He doesn't seem like the type.

DRE - How well do you know him?

DEXTER - Actually, I don't know him too well. But I remember talking with him once with Nino. This was when he was trying to be a member of his frat.

DRE - People are always different in that setting. They just say what they gotta say to get in the frat. They change once they get in.

MONA - True, true. I know that much for a fact.

DEXTER - Yeah, maybe you're right.

RONNIE - The bottom line is that nigga disrespected a bruh. Jerrel is a transfer student and he is frat. How the hell is he welcomed to Ahpla? With a fight? That shit is fucked up and I think we should handle business for him.

(MONA smiles.)

DEXTER - What are you suggesting man? A war with the Alphas? That shit aint cool either.

RONNIE - Fuck them!

MONA - Wait hold on. We aint suggesting a war with anybody.

JERREL - Yeah bruh. I aint trying to cause no trouble.

RONNIE - Fuck that, they started it. You aint causing no trouble Jerrel. We got your back dog.

MONA - All I am saying is that Jerrel was treated unfairly. And you know me, I hate for someone to be treated unfairly.

JAHANNA thinks - Oh God!

DRE - So Jerrel, what do you think we should do?

JERREL - Well, I think that we should...

MONA - He thinks that we should single out the responsible individuals and deal with just them. There is no need to take on the whole frat. Most of the Alphas are cool guys.

RONNIE - Whatever.

DEXTER - Maybe Mona is right. We don't need to start no campus war.

MONA - If nothing else, yall are outnumbered. Ha ha ha ha.

RONNIE - Whatever, I don't care.

DRE - Yeah, Ronnie against the world.

(They all laugh.)

RONNIE - But seriously. We single out Larry and deal with him huh?

MONA - Well there are more people responsible than Larry. They need to be dealt with as well.

DEXTER - Huh? I thought you said that Larry hit you Jerrel.

JERREL - He did. I don't know what...

MONA - Basically, Larry was the one who hit Jerrel but...

(JERREL stares at MONA for cutting him off again.)

MONA - ...there were other people conspiring against him.

RONNIE - Oh yeah? Like who?

MONA - Well first, there was June.

DEXTER - June? Buck's new girlfriend?

MONA - Yeah. I overheard her talking to Larry about Jerrel. She was telling some nasty rumors to Larry about him being a perp or something.

RONNIE - Really? Hmmm, this is getting interesting.

MONA - Then there is Katrice. She played Jerrel from the beginning. He was just being friendly and trying to meet some people. She treated him like a step child at the Ahpla Amgis game.

JERREL - Yeah, she did but...

MONA - And last but not least, there is PJ and Bobby.

RONNIE - Bobby? Okay now you are talking!

MONA - Nobody knows this yet but PJ and Larry are messing around.

DEXTER - They are?

MONA - Yep. But PJ likes Jerrel too. You know she is into the pretty boy types. Look at Gregg. Well anyway, she approached Jerrel and tried to hook up with him. Jerrel refused because he knew she had a man. Because PJ got rejected by Jerrel, she told Larry that he had hit on her and that he was very rude and disrespectful. That is what pissed Larry off at Pharoahs in the first place.

JERREL thinks - Huh?

DEXTER - Oh I get it.

MONA - And because of what June had told Larry, he already thought that Jerrel was shady to begin with.

RONNIE- So how does Bobby play into all this?

MONA - He is president of the chapter so I just think he is responsible.

RONNIE - Hey, that works for me! Ha ha ha ha!

JERREL - Hey bruhs, I gotta make a quick phone call. Hey Mona, show me where the pay phone is.

MONA - Sure. Ronnie, we will be right back.

RONNIE - Cool.

(MONA and JERREL get up and RONNIE continues to talk with DEXTER and DRE. JAHANNA ducks out of sight.)

JERREL - What the hell are you doing? I told you I wanted to get back at Larry. Who the hell are all those other people you threw up in there? I aint got nothing against any of them!

MONA - Hey, if you are going to work with me, then you do things my way. Now do you want to get Larry or not?

JERREL - Well...yeah.

MONA - Good. Then just follow my lead. Trust me, this is going to work out well for both of us.

No comments: