Episode 24

We begin this week's episode with CANDACE and GREGG who have just passed through the double doors on the way down the hall to view NINO's body.

DR. RANIER - It's right this way.

(DR. RANIER leads CANDACE and GREGG who are crying.)

CANDACE thinks - Oh my God! I can't believe this is happening! This is the worst day of my life!

GREGG thinks - Nino is like a brother to me! I just can't believe this! I feel so bad for Candace! They were getting married!

(CANDACE is shaking and GREGG is still holding her hand.)

CANDACE crying - Gregg...I just...I don't think I can...make it. Not without Nino

GREGG crying - We are all gonna have to be strong. That is what...Nino would have...wanted.

CANDACE - I know but I just cannot believe...maybe there is some way they can save him. On a machine or something.

GREGG - I don't know. I am still praying.

(They continue to walk.)

DR. RANIER - Candace, I wanted to let you know that Nino felt no pain. His body had gone into a state of shock from the time he was in the car. From there he slipped into a mild coma. Soon after, his heart failed him. It was if he passed in his sleep.

(CANDACE begins to cry harder. Those words were not comforting. GREGG holds her hand tight.)

CANDACE crying - Thank you.

(They continue to walk.)

CANDACE thinks - There is no way I can go on without Nino!

NINO - Baby, you know I wouldn't leave you like this. You can make it. I got your back...always.

(CANDACE and GREGG are lead to the second room in the hall. It seems as if they were walking a much longer distance than that. But CANDACE remembers that this is where she came in with NINO when he first was admitted.)

DR. RANIER - You can come this way.

(CANDACE stops at the door.)

GREGG - It's ok. It's ok. Come on.

NINO - Thank you man. I need for you to help Candace be strong.

DR. RANIER - You can come in. It's all right.

(CANDACE slowly walks in, there is a white sheet draped over a body on a table. She starts to cry.)

CANDACE crying - Oh my God!

(silence)

DR. RANIER - Are you ready to see him?

(silence)

DR. RANIER - Do you think you are ready Candace and Gregg?

GREGG - Yes sir. We...are.

(DR. RANIER slowly lifts the sheet. NINO is lying on his back with no shirt on. His eyes are closed.)

CANDACE crying - Baaabyyyyyyyyy!

(She touches his face with her hand.)

GREGG crying - Candace, just know that Nino is in a better place now. He...he looks restful.

(CANDACE drops her head and kisses NINO's face. She places her face on his chest and cries with her arms around him.)

CANDACE crying - Why! Why did this happen! Why did you leave me!

(CANDACE stops talking and just cries into NINO's chest.)

CANDACE thinks - Oh God! Why did you take my heart from me? What did I do to deserve this? I have always served you and read your word. Why would you take the only important thing in my world from me? Oh God, help me! I need you Jesus! I need you Jesus! Please be my friend! Please grant my beloved Nino wings of gold and give him a kiss for me.

GREGG - Can?

(CANDACE is still crying.)

GREGG - Candace, I think we need to call his parents.

CANDACE crying - Yes...yes, you're...right. Ok.

DR. RANIER - Let me walk back to the waiting area with you.

(CANDACE gets up and takes one more look at NINO. His chest is wet from her tears. His body is warm but looks restful.)

CANDACE crying - Goodbye my heart. My love. I will forever...forever love you baby.

(Tears fall once again from GREGG's eyes as they walk out.)

GREGG thinks - Goodbye my brother.

(The remaining sound is only the still steady beep of the cardiac machines.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We change scenes and join ALEXIS as she is home and answering her phone.

ALEXIS thinks - I hope this is Quinton. I haven't heard from him since the step show.

ALEXIS - Hello.

RONNIE - Hey what's up?

ALEXIS thinks - Oh God, Ronnie.

ALEXIS - Who may I ask is calling?

RONNIE - Oh you don't know my voice anymore?

ALEXIS - Oh hey Ronnie. It aint like you call me anymore. Ha ha ha ha.

ALEXIS thinks - Oh why did I say that mess! Now he is gonna start calling again!

RONNIE - You silly. How have you been? I haven't spoken to you in a while and I just thought I would call and see how you were doing.

ALEXIS thinks - Yeah right.

ALEXIS - How sweet. Everything is cool with me. Same ol same ol. Just making it through.

RONNIE - That's good to hear.

ALEXIS - What's up with you?

RONNIE - Nothing much. Just chillin'.

ALEXIS - That's good.

(silence)

RONNIE - So, can I ask you something?

ALEXIS thinks - Oh brother.

ALEXIS - Sure, what's up?

RONNIE - I was just wondering. How has life been since the break up? I was concerned and that is why I asked you how you were doing.

ALEXIS - It was pretty rough at first. But I have a huge support network. My mom is great. And then there are my girls here at school. I am ok.

RONNIE - Oh that is good. Cool.

ALEXIS - Yeah.

RONNIE - Do you know how he is doing?

ALEXIS - Who?

RONNIE - Who? Bobby?

ALEXIS - He is ok...I guess.

RONNIE - That's cool. I don't think he is going through the break up as bad as you are. But I am sure he is heartbroken.

ALEXIS - Huh? What do you mean?

RONNIE - Well you know he dates Trina now.

(RONNIE snickers.)

RONNIE - I knew he wasn't good for you.

ALEXIS - Ronnie, stop reading yesterday's paper. That is old news. I knew that a long time ago.

RONNIE - You did?

ALEXIS - As a matter of fact, Bobby isn't even dating Trina anymore.

RONNIE - What!

ALEXIS - Yeah, they broke up recently.

RONNIE - How do you know all of this?

ALEXIS - Let's just say that I have an inside scoop.

RONNIE - Wow, I thought he and Trina would stay together forever. As much of in love that they were. Ha ha ha.

(RONNIE laughs to himself.)

ALEXIS - Guess not. As a matter of fact, Bobby is dating someone else if I am not mistaken.

RONNIE - What?

RONNIE thinks - Shit! Who?

ALEXIS - Bobby is now dating Caryn.

RONNIE - Caryn the cheerleader?

ALEXIS - Yep.

RONNIE - I don't believe it!

RONNIE thinks - Shit!

RONNIE - I don't believe it!

ALEXIS - It's the truth.

(An hour later, CARYN's answering phone picks up her call.)

CARYN - Go Ahpla go!! Hi this is Caryn and I am not in right now. Leave me a message and I will call you back. Peace and blessings.

BEEP

RONNIE - Hey Caryn boo. This is Ronnie. I was just thinking, maybe I should take a lovely lady out to a lunch or dinner date? Are you free tomorrow night? Because if so, I would love to hook up with you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We rejoin APRIL who has come to visit KATRICE.

KATRICE - What did you say?

APRIL - I asked you why you have been avoiding me.

KATRICE - What? April please. You're trippin'.

(KATRICE walks over and sits on her bed next to APRIL.)

KATRICE thinks - Damn, I am too sleepy for this!

APRIL - I am not trippin'. I have called over here several times and every time I call, you are too busy to talk. Or you are gonna call me back. Or you are studying.

KATRICE - So what's wrong with that? You usually call when I am reading or studying.

APRIL - There is nothing wrong with that. But then I never hear from you. You never call me back and you don't return your pages all of a sudden. You called me more during exam time.

KATRICE - Well April, I am studying like crazy ok? Sheesh.

APRIL - That's bull and you know it. Why don't you just tell me what's up? You certainly made time to call a sister when you were trying to wear my colors.

KATRICE - That aint got nothing to do with this so I don't know why you even brought that up.

APRIL - Maybe not, but you know that what I am saying is valid.

(silence)

APRIL - So?

KATRICE - So what?

APRIL - So what is the reason? Why don't you just talk to me and tell me what's up?

KATRICE thinks - Good Lord!

KATRICE - April, there is nothing to talk to you about. I already told you that I am busy reading and studying half the time. And just when I am ready to go to bed, you come asking me about...

(The telephone rings.)

KATRICE - Now what! Excuse me.

(KATRICE reaches over APRIL to grab her phone.)

KATRICE - Hello?

DONNA - Hey what's up?

KATRICE - Hey...there. What's going on?

DONNA - What you doing?

KATRICE - Chillin'.

(KATRICE stands up off the bed and walks around to where the phone is placed on her dresser. APRIL just watches.)

DONNA - You by yourself?

(KATRICE turns and looks at APRIL who is staring right into her face. She turns her back.)

KATRICE - Yeah. What's up?

DONNA - Girl, let me tell you. I thought I was about to get some tonight and boom, I got left hanging. You know what I'm sayin'?

KATRICE - Oh word? Ha ha ha ha.

(KATRICE turns back around and looks at APRIL.)

DONNA - Hell yeah. So you know what time it is now! Damn, I'm horny as hell.

KATRICE - Really? You crazy.

DONNA - I'm sayin' though.

(silence)

DONNA - So what's up? You trying to come through or can I can swing by?

KATRICE - You crazy.

DONNA - Huh?

KATRICE - Hold on a second.

(KATRICE puts the phone down and walks to her bookshelf. She grabs a book.)

APRIL - Who is that?

KATRICE - Some dude from my calc class. Give me a second.

(KATRICE picks the phone back up.)

KATRICE - Hello?

DONNA - Yeah, what's the deal?

(KATRICE opens the book.)

KATRICE - Ok it looks like fifteen.

DONNA - Huh?

KATRICE - Fifteen. Yeah, it's fifteen.

DONNA - Fifteen? Oh, fifteen minutes?

KATRICE - That's right.

DONNA - Ok cool. You coming through here or you want me to come by your spot?

KATRICE - Um...I think you should.

DONNA - Ok cool. I will be right over.

KATRICE - Ok.

DONNA - See ya in a few. Later.

KATRICE - Ok.

(DONNA hangs up.)

KATRICE - What answer did you get for that other problem?

(silence)

KATRICE - I didn't get that but you are probably right. I will have to work through that one and try it again because you are probably right.

(silence)

KATRICE - Yeah. Yeah. Ha ha ha, not now because I am about to go to bed, I am so sleepy. Yeah ok, just call me tomorrow or I will see you in class. Ok then. Good night.

(KATRICE hangs up.)

KATRICE - Sorry bout that.

APRIL - Mmmmm hmmmm.

KATRICE - What? What's the matter now?

APRIL - What was all that giggling about? And the comment about you going to bed. Was he trying to come over or something? What's up with that?

KATRICE - Oh will you please stop trippin'. Gosh. Look, I am very sleepy and I just want to go to bed ok? I promise I will call you tomorrow.

APRIL - Well since it's so late, I figured I could just crash over here at your place.

KATRICE - Uh...no! You can't do that!

APRIL - Why not?

No comments: