Episode 5

We begin this week’s episode with CARYN. She has come down with morning sickness and is headed to the Ahpla University Hospital for a routine check up.

CARYN thinks - Oh gosh! My stomach feels queezy as hell! I feel like I have to constantly throw up. I hope I’m ok.

(CARYN is waiting for the local bus to arrive that goes past the hospital. She doesn’t want to walk for fear she may get sick on the way.)

CARYN thinks - Damn, everytime I walk, I see a million buses go by. Now that I need one, aint one in sight!

(CARYN sees a car go by with four guys in it.)

CARYN thinks - Hmmm, that dude in the passenger seat is cute!

(CARYN looks down the street again.)

CARYN thinks - Oh good, finally! Here comes the bus.

(CARYN gets her change together for the bus. She gets on the bus and sits near the front. She is only travelling two stops.)

CARYN thinks - Damn I feel sick!

(The bus comes to a hault at the bus stop across the street from the hospital. CARYN gets off.)

CARYN thinks - I need to stop by the gift shop when I get inside just to get some water! I feel like I am going to pass out!

(As CARYN approaches the hospital, she sees a familiar face walking toward her.)

CARYN - Is that...Trina? Trina!

(TRINA looks and acknowledges CARYN.)

CARYN - What’s up girl? What you doing here?

TRINA - Just leaving out actually.

CARYN - What’s the matter, you been crying? What’s wrong?

(TRINA is trying to hold back tears.)

CARYN - Trina, what is the matter? Is your baby ok?

(TRINA breaks down and starts to cry.)

CARYN - Trina, tell me what happened.

TRINA crying - I had a miscarriage and now Bobby is blaming me!

CARYN - What!

TRINA crying - Please don’t tell anybody ok?

CARYN - Ok, I won’t say anything. But Bobby is an asshole!

TRINA crying - Don’t talk bad about him, he had his reasons I guess.

(By CARYN becoming upset, her stomach feels worse.)

CARYN - Oh God, I have to get inside. Can you come in with me?

TRINA thinks - Oh God! I can’t go back in that pregnancy ward!

TRINA - Uh, I think I need to get home. You know I got your back girl but I really need to think some things over.

CARYN - That is cool, I understand. I may find out what I am having today.

TRINA - Girl, you know you having a boy! A pretty little boy coming out twirling a cane like daddy Gregg!

CARYN thinks - Oh God no!

CARYN - Maybe. Oh goodness, I gotta go!

TRINA - Well go inside, I will call you later ok?

CARYN - Ok cool. And Trina...

TRINA - Yeah?

CARYN - Keep your head up girl. Assholes come a dime a dozen. Fuck Bobby!

(TRINA just turns to walk away.)

CARYN - I got your back girl.

TRINA - I got yours too.

CARYN thinks - Damn, if Bobby wasn’t so good in bed, he would be trash!

(CARYN enters the hospital and speaks to the nurse. She feels as if she needs to throw up so the nurse helps her to get in quickly.)

While outside...

TRINA thinks - Dammit! Why did I just lie to Caryn? Now I made Bobby look bad! Dammit! And I let her go to the hospital by herself!

(TRINA stops and looks back.)

TRINA thinks - Shit!

(TRINA starts to walk back to the hospital.)

TRINA thinks - I’ll just hang close to the lobby and try to go unnoticed. Then I can find out from Caryn how much her baby is gonna look like Gregg. Hee hee hee.

Meanwhile, back inside...

DR. SHAW - Caryn you seem to be just fine. Just a little nauseous which is normal for your stage.

CARYN - Ok, I was worried.

DR. SHAW - No need to worry at all. What I want you to do is see if you can get to bed early tonight to get some extra rest.

CARYN - Ok.

DR. SHAW - Drink a lot of water and I am going to give you this perscription to ease your stomach.

CARYN - Ok.

(The DOCTOR turns to leave.)

CARYN - Dr. Shaw?

DR. SHAW - Yes Caryn.

CARYN - If I wanted to be certain...or if I wanted a paternity test, how could I do that?

DR. SHAW - Well you would have to check the baby’s blood type against that of the father’s. Simple dna test.

CARYN - But hypothetically speaking, what if you didn’t know who the father was? How would you get them to come down and give blood?

DR. SHAW - You could simply explain to the gentlemen the situation and hope that they would comply.

CARYN - But there is no way of finding out who the father is without the blood test?

DR. SHAW - Well there is one way, but it is a stretch.

CARYN - What’s that?

DR. SHAW - Do you think the father is a student at Ahpla?

CARYN - Yes.

DR. SHAW - All students have a file here from when they first enrolled at the university. We have a listing of every student’s blood type in their personal file.

CARYN - Really?

DR. SHAW - Yes, yours too.

CARYN - So how could that help?

DR. SHAW - If I already know the blood type of the baby, I can basically use the process of elimination to declare the father, unless of course the two gentlemen share the same blood type in which case I would need a blood sample.

CARYN - Wow. So is it ok if I find out, just for my own sanity?

DR. SHAW - Give me the names of the gentlemen and I will check and be right back. I already know the blood type of your baby.

(CARYN smiles and writes GREGG’s and BOBBY’s full names on a piece of paper for DR. SHAW.)

DR. SHAW - Ok I will be right back.

CARYN - Thank you Dr. Shaw.

CARYN thinks - Oh man! Suspense!

In the lobby...

TRINA thinks - I know Caryn is having a boy! I can just tell! Gregg will be on the yard with a little boy. It actually will be kinda cute.

(TRINA looks at the double doors leading to where CARYN is. She gets up and slowly tips over to the doors and peeks inside.)

TRINA thinks - It looks kinda empty. Maybe I can just let Caryn know that I am still here. No one seems to be paying too much attention anyway.

(TRINA pushes through the door slowly and creeps in. She sees CARYN sitting on the side of a bed. She sneaks up behind her.)

TRINA - Boo!

(CARYN turns around.)

CARYN - Hey girl! I thought you left!

TRINA - I just wanted to stay a little while and wait for my girl! You ok?

CARYN - Oh thank you so much Trina!

(CARYN and TRINA hug.)

CARYN - Yeah, I’m fine. Doctor said just a little nausea. No biggie.

TRINA - So can you leave now?

CARYN - Oh no, in a minute. He is just running one last quick test.

TRINA - Ok then I will go wait outside until you are ready ok?

CARYN thinks - Good!

CARYN - Ok cool, he said it would be quick so I shouldn’t be long.

(CARYN and TRINA hug again as DR. SHAW comes around the corner.)

CARYN thinks - Oh shit!

TRINA thinks - Oh shit!

DR. SHAW - Caryn, I ran that test for you and the results came out quicker than I thought. Your baby’s father is...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We change scenes and revisit the Alpha Brothers who are stepping on the yard with their neos. NINO is having problems catching his breath and has fallen to one knee.

NINO thinks - Oh God! My chest hurts! I can’t breathe!

BOBBY - Nino! Man what’s wrong! Say something!

(The other Brothers begin to take notice.)

LARRY - What’s wrong with Nino?

DONTE - I don’t know man, let’s help him up.

(NINO begins to cough.)

LARRY - Yo back up! Give him air!

(As NINO begins to cough, his air starts to come back to him and he takes quick breaths. Both his hands have fallen to the ground and he is still on one knee.)

BOBBY - I think he is ok. He is breathing now.

(Some of the crowd have gathered around. One girl in the crowd became scared and started to cry.)

BOBBY - Say man, are you ok? You breathing ok now?

NINO coughing - ...yeah...

QUINTON - Yo don’t scare us like that bro!

LARRY - Man, I have had enough excitement for a lifetime today! I am ready to chill!

JASON - Yeah me too!

(NINO stands to his feet. He is trying to take deeper breaths and is still coughing.)

BOBBY - Man, what happened?

NINO - I don’t...know. One minute...I...was (cough)...stepping...

(NINO coughs as he clears his throat.)

NINO...and the next...I couldn’t...get any air. My heart was...racing because...I couldn’t...breathe.

BOBBY - Damn!

QUINTON - Do you have any kind of medical problems? Like asthma or something?

NINO - No, never have.

QUINTON - Anyone in your family diagnosed with asthma?

NINO coughing - Not...that I know of.

BOBBY - Well come sit down on this bench and relax.

(The Brothers walk over to a nearby bench so NINO can sit down and catch his breath.)

BOBBY - Man, you scared the shit out of me!

NINO - I scared the shit out of me!

QUINTON - You want to get checked out by a doctor?

NINO - I don’t think we need to.

BOBBY - Hell yeah we do! This could be just nothing or it could be something serious. Why take chances?

LARRY - I agree.

(NINO is still coughing.)

JASON - Do you want to head down to the clinic?

BOBBY - Yeah, we can go over to the campus nurse.

NINO - If you say so. My chest does feel real tight.

BOBBY - Enough said, let’s go.

(NINO slowly gets up and starts to walk toward the campus clinic. The Brothers are going with him.)

NINO - Man, it feels like I have to think about taking each breath! That is hard as hell to do!

QUINTON - I can imagine. Breathing comes so natural. You shouldn’t have to think about it.

(NINO keeps his hand on his chest as they reach the clinic. Once inside, he fills out the necessary form and waits in line to see the campus nurse.)

BOBBY - Man, I am glad you aren’t dying! You would be dead and buried before you got some attention around here.

(NINO and the brothers laugh. NINO coughs because he laughed too hard.)

BOBBY - Sorry man, my bad.

(Another student comes into the clinic holding their arm. He speaks to the receptionist and is rushed right in.)

LARRY - Hey wait a minute! We have been sitting here forever and that guy went right in! What’s up with that?

(LARRY approaches the receptionist.)

LARRY - Excuse me, why did that other guy go right in and we have been sitting here forever?

RECEPTIONIST - Because he had a bee sting which is classified as an allergy. Someone could die from an allergic reaction if it isn’t treated in enough time.

LARRY - Oh...ok.

(LARRY takes his seat again. NINO starts to cough again and bends down.)

QUINTON - Damn man! Come on! How long is this shit gonna take?

(The NURSE comes from the back and calls for NINO.)

BOBBY - Finally! That’s us!

(All the Brothers get up to walk in.)

NURSE - Hold on guys, all of you can’t come back. Just the patient and one other person.

(The brothers look at each other.)

BOBBY - I’ll go.

(BOBBY and NINO follow the NURSE.)

BOBBY - How you feeling man?

NINO - Tight still (cough).

(The NURSE instructs NINO to take his shirt off. She uses her stethoscope to listen to his breathing and runs some normal tests. She then sends him down the hall for a preliminary x-ray.)

NINO - Bruh...you know...(cough)...what I hate...hate about x-rays?

BOBBY - No, what?

NINO - They are cold as hell!

BOBBY - Ha ha ha ha, true that!

(After the x-ray, NINO comes back and puts his shirt back on. He waits for the NURSE to return.)

NINO - I think it’s probably nothing. Just a matter of me...catching...my breath.

BOBBY - Yeah, me too. But you never can tell ya know? Better safe than sorry.

(The NURSE returns.)

NURSE - Nino, I would like to run further tests on you because what I am seeing is rather serious for a person your age.

NINO - What is that?

NURSE - Well in all actuality, it is strange. Very strange. Your symptons say asthma. But you have no medical or family history of asthma. Your x-rays are showing signs however of something far more serious.

BOBBY - Nurse, what are they showing?

NURSE - From the look on your prelims, it looks to me like angina!

NINO - Angina? Is that real bad?

NURSE - Basically it means no more jumping around, getting all excited and worked up for you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APRIL lays on her stomach.

KATRICE - April, I just want to thank you for helping me get to where I am now.

APRIL - You don’t have to thank me. You earned it, the right way.

KATRICE - I know there were times when things could have been very...awkward.

APRIL - Uh huh.

KATRICE - But you never let it go there and I appreciate that.

APRIL - Well that has no business mixed up in the organization’s business. That is nobody’s business but yours.

KATRICE - That’s true.

(silence)

KATRICE - So what do you want me to do?

APRIL - I would like for you to rub my shoulders. But before you do that, let me ask you. Will this make you uncomfortable? Because all I want is a massage.

KATRICE - No not at all. I respect you a great deal. I always have but especially now. So whatever you say, goes.

APRIL - Cool. If I make you feel uncomfortable just let me know.

KATRICE - Same applies here.

APRIL - Alright, so then I can take off my shirt right?

KATRICE - Be my guest.

(APRIL pulls her shirt over her head.)

KATRICE thinks - Oh God!

KATRICE - Now lay back down.

(APRIL lays again on her stomach. KATRICE begins to rub APRIL’s shoulders.)

APRIL - How did you learn how to massage so well?

KATRICE - I took a class a long time ago on reflexology. Teaches all about pressure points and nerve sensations. Very interesting stuff.

(APRIL lays her head to one side and closes her eyes.)

KATRICE thinks - Damn she is fine!

APRIL - That is interesting. How does it work?

KATRICE - Most people when they think of reflexology and learning about it think of the pressure points. Places in the body that send signals to other points. Pain, pleasure, temperature, things like that.

APRIL thinks - Ooh that makes my back feel real good.

APRIL - Uh huh.

KATRICE - But I studied moreso along the lines of wellness. For example, we connected with botany. So we learned what types of flowers were in tune with one’s spirit and how that could be used to enduce relaxation and body unison.

APRIL - Flowers? Sounds like yall were smoking some weed!

(KATRICE rubs down to her back.)

KATRICE laughing - No not like that. Like, take the spirit of lonliness for example. There were three flowers that went along with that spirit. They were the water violet, heather and um...um...impatiens.

APRIL - So how does it work?

APRIL thinks - I am really relaxing. She is putting me to sleep!

KATRICE - Well the water violet begins its life in the mud under the water. It grows up through the water and breaks the surface to reach sunlight.

APRIL - Uh huh.

(APRIL is getting drowsy.)

KATRICE - Only when sunlight touches it though, does it blossom. There are many lessons one can learn from that and transfer into body massage, like...

APRIL thinks - Her hands feel good, I feel so relaxed. Like when I was...with Derrick.

(APRIL takes a deep breath.)

APRIL thinks - Oooh that feels good, right there. I love the way Derrick touches me.

(APRIL stretches her arms above her head and then brings them back down. Her upper back feels much more loose.)

APRIL thinks - Damn, one thing I hate about Derrick is that he takes too long to do everything. I gotta speed this brother up before I fall asleep!

(APRIL is getting sleepy so she attempts to speed things up. She reaches back and unbuttons her bra and slides it off her shoulders.)

APRIL thinks - That should speed things up quite nicely! Oooh that feels so good!

DERRICK - I missed you so much baby!

JUNE - I don’t see how! You had April to occupy your time!

DERRICK - April? I never laid a finger on April!

APRIL thinks - I love it when Derrick touches me, his hands are so strong, they feel so good!

(APRIL’s thoughts start to wander as she starts to doze off. When she realizes that she is slipping away, she suddenly turns over and lies on her back. She keeps her eyes closed.)

APRIL thinks - If Derrick doesn’t wake me up, he is going to lose me!

(APRIL feels hands on her bra.)

APRIL thinks - Oooh yes!

(APRIL squirms and starts to breathe heavy. She turns her head to the side.)

APRIL thinks - Oh he is teasing me! Oh!

(APRIL slides her bra off and immediately feels hands on her breasts.)

APRIL - Oh yes Derrick, I love the way you touch me!

KATRICE - Derrick?

No comments: