Episode 22

We begin this week's episode with THERESA who is at home. She has just paged JASON and he is just calling her back.

THERESA - Hello?
JASON - Hey.
THERESA - Hey J. What's up?
JASON - It's kinda hectic.
THERESA - Really, it's hectic up in the step show? Did the Alphas win?
JASON - Actually, I don't know. I'm not at the step show.
THERESA - What? Where are you?
JASON - I'm at the hospital.
THERESA - The hospital? What happened? What is the matter?
JASON - It's Nino. He fell out right after the show. Remember I mentioned how his chest had been bothering him?
THERESA - Oh yeah.
JASON - Well the show was a bit much on him. He stepped his heart out and got a little winded. So we are here in the emergency room just making sure he is ok.
THERESA - Oh gosh. Well I will say a prayer for him.
JASON - Thanks.
THERESA - Are you ok?
JASON - Yeah, I'm cool.
THERESA - Are you sure? You sound funny.
JASON - This is just a shock. But I am ok. Trust me. It just scared me a little to see Nino unconscious.
THERESA - I can imagine.

(silence)

THERESA - Well there is something I wanted to talk to you about J. That is why I paged you.
JASON - Oh yeah? What's up?
THERESA - Well, we have been seeing a lot of each other lately and I have enjoyed every minute of it.
JASON - Me too.
THERESA - And I just wanted to tell you that I didn't want it to end. I really like the way that things are going.
JASON - Me too.

(JASON glances over his shoulder at the others who are sitting in the emergency room talking. His mind wanders.)

THERESA - And I also wanted to tell you that...

(silence)

THERESA - ...that I love you.

(silence)

THERESA - Hello?
JASON - Oh hello? I'm sorry. What did you say?

(THERESA sucks her teeth.)

THERESA - I said that I wanted to tell you that I love you.
JASON - What?
THERESA - I love you Jason.

(silence)

JASON - Uh...
THERESA - Well? Don't you love me?
JASON - Theresa, we really need to talk about this some other time. I gotta go.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We rejoin DERRICK and TRINA who were just told by CARYN that her water broke and she has gone into labor.

CARYN - My water just broke!
DERRICK - What? Are you serious?
TRINA - She is probably lying again!
CARYN - No, I am seriou...oh...oh my gaaawwwwd!

(CARYN grabs her stomach and bends over.)

DERRICK - Are you ok?
CARYN - Oh it hurts!
DERRICK - Ok! Ok! Uh...uh...just relax! We...uh...gotta get you to the hospital! Fast!
CARYN - Ooooooooooooooooh!
DERRICK - Trina grab her coat!
TRINA - Caryn, are you serious?

(CARYN looks up at TRINA. She has tears streaming down her face.)

TRINA - Ok, I'll get her coat!

(DERRICK rushes and grabs his car keys.)

DERRICK - Ok Caryn, everything is gonna be fine. Just take it easy.

(DERRICK starts to slowly help CARYN walk toward the door.)

DERRICK - That's it, nice and easy.
CARYN - Ooooooh!

(CARYN stops and bends over again.)

DERRICK - Oh my God! What do I do?
TRINA - It's labor pains, it's ok! Come on Caryn!

(TRINA helps CARYN put her coat on.)

TRINA - Come on girl.

(CARYN puts her arms through her coat and DERRICK and TRINA lead her outside.)

DERRICK - Come on Caryn, everything is gonna be cool.

(They get CARYN into DERRICK's car and then DERRICK and TRINA jump in.)

DERRICK - Hold on!

(DERRICK backs out of the parking spot and screeches out toward the hospital.)

CARYN - Aaaaaah!

(CARYN is crying and holding her stomach.)

DERRICK - Is she supposed to be in so much pain? What is the matter? What's wrong?
TRINA - I think she is ok! This is what labor pains are like! I think!


CARYN crying - Oh! Oh!

(TRINA reaches up from the back seat and grabs CARYN's hand. CARYN squeezes her hand back.)

TRINA - It's gonna be ok girl.

(CARYN looks back at TRINA through tears and smiles.)

DERRICK - Ok we are almost there!

(DERRICK pats CARYN's leg.)

DERRICK - We're almost there.

(DERRICK turns the corner and pulls into the long driveway of the Ahpla University Hospital. He skids into the emergency room parking lot.)

DERRICK - Ok, let's go!

(TRINA jumps out and runs around the car to CARYN's door. CARYN is trying to get out but is still holding her stomach and crying.)

DERRICK - Let me help!


(DERRICK helps to get CARYN to her feet and they start toward the emergency room. DERRICK helping CARYN to walk on her left and TRINA on her right.)

DERRICK - Caryn, everything is gonna be fine ok? You just be strong. Don't worry about a thing.
TRINA - Yeah, you will do fine Caryn.
DERRICK - And listen, about our conversation earlier...

(CARYN looks at DERRICK.)

DERRICK - Don't stress over it now. We can talk about that later. You just concentrate on bringing forth a healthy baby.

(CARYN smiles through tears and kisses DERRICK on his cheek. She then hugs TRINA as they continue to walk.)

TRINA - Yeah, don't sweat that girl. I don't even want to think about Bobby right now!

(As DERRICK, CARYN and TRINA enter the emergency room, they see BOBBY and LARRY standing there talking.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone gathers around in the emergency room as DR. RANIER comes from behind the double doors with a report on NINO's condition.

GREGG - Dr. Ranier, how is Nino? Can we go back and see him now?
CANDACE crying - Yeah, can I go and see him?

(silence)

DR. RANIER - Candace, I am very sorry. We did all that we could. But...but...Nino didn't pull through. His heart gave out on him and...and Nino passed away.

(silence)

NINO - Oh and if Candace calls me, tell her to just page me because I'll probably be out with the bros tonight.
GREGG - And she is supposed to believe that?
NINO laughs - Yeah cuz she knows that I aint you!

(GREGG jokingly throws a miniature football at NINO but it hits the door as NINO slams it behind him.)



NINO - I said my brothers!
BROTHERS IN UNISON - Yeah!
NINO - I said my ice cold brothers!
BROTHERS IN UNISON - Yeah!
NINO - I think it's time we break it down on 'em oh six style! Deep in my heart...I love my A Phi! I love my A...Phi...A!

(NINO begins the step and the brothers join in afterward. The crowd cheers.)



NINO - What's up Reg, hey what's up Wil.
WIL - What's up frat?
NINO - Oh shit! That nigga Jason was telling the truth about the books in the library?
REGGIE - Hell yeah, I was shocked too.




NINO - And I really hate to be this way Bobby, but on the real, you brought this shit on yourself.
BOBBY - What?
NINO - How many times have we warned you that you were playing with fire messing around on Alexis?
BOBBY - Aw nigga whatever, like you don't cheat.
NINO - I don't.



NINO - What the hell are you talking about?
JASON - I'm talking about what I was thinking when I didn't show up at the Alpha house because I was having sex.
NINO - What! You didn't show up where because of what?
JASON - The Alpha house, isn't that what we were discussing?
NINO - Hell no, I'm talking about this damn email you sent to the brothers in North Carolina at beta epsilon chapter! Bruh, you got all types of issues!



(I got a feeling...I got a feeling brothers...I got a feeling...somebody's trying to sneak in my frat...and there aint gonna be no shit like that!)

JASON thinks - Is this some sort of joke?

(JASON gets up and goes close to the door to hear better and it sounds louder. He opens the door.)

NINO - Hello Jason.
JASON - Uh...hi.

(NINO walks into JASON's room without being invited.)

JASON - Sure, come on in.
NINO - Cut the sarcasm motherfucker, this aint no social call. I pulled mad strings for your stupid ass so listen up!



SPHINXMEN - Greetings Big Brother Bout It Bout It from the Bayou!

(The crowd laughs and hollers.)

STUDENT - Yeah Nino, with that New Orleans flavor kid!

(NINO smiles back at the student.)

NINO - What yall niggas know about that dirty south huh?

(The crowd laughs. The SPHINXMEN greet to the tune of 'Back that Ass Up' by Juvenile.)

SPHINXMEN - Big brother's swing is good
I had to back my ass up!
Cuz he swings that wood!
I had to back my ass up!


(The crowd laughs hysterically.)


SPHINXMAN LARRY - Remix!

(The SPHINXMEN greet to the tune of 'Bling Bling by the Hot Boys.)

SPHINXMEN - Swing! Swing!
Every time he comes around the line...
Swing! Swing!
He always brings that oak and that pine...
Swing! Swing!
I ask and I pray every night...
Swing! Swing!
that you would guide us to that Alpha light!
SPHINXMAN LARRY - Remix!

(The SPHINXMEN greet to the tune of 'The Hot Boys' by the Hot Boys.)

SPHINXMEN - What kind of boy wears Alpha on his chest?
What kind of boy be crazy doin' dem steps?
What kind of boy represents that dirty south?
Throwing signs up in the air, screamin' A Phi out of his mouth?
Big Brother...Bout It Bout It...from the Bayou!
Big Brother...Bout It Bout It...from the Bayou!
SPHINXMAN LARRY - Remix!


(The SPHINXMEN greet to the tune of 'Ha' by Juvenile.)

SPHINXMEN - What you gonna do when dem Alphas after you?
You better run sphinxmen run sphinxmen run!
And what you gonna do when the bros be comin' through?
You better run sphinxmen run sphinxmen run!
Run sphinxmen run sphinxmen run!
Run sphinxmen run sphinxmen run!


(The SPHINXMEN stop. The crowd cheers loudly and claps.)

NINO - A Phi!
BROTHERS - Oh six!



(NINO enters.)

EMPLOYEE - One minute sir, I will be right with you.
NINO - Thank you. Take your time.

(NINO casually looks around the store.)

NINO thinks - Oh this AKA jacket is phat! I wonder whose it is. Spring two thousand.
EMPLOYEE - Yes sir, how can I help you?
NINO - Firstly, whose jacket is this? It is very nice.
EMPLOYEE - Yes it is. It belongs to a young lady by the name of Mona Ferguson.


GREGG thinks - Dammit!
NINO whispering - Yo, did Shareesa see the card? What happened?
GREGG - I don't know. I didn't see it and she didn't say anything. Are you sure it was on the bed?
NINO - Of course I am. Man I am sorry, I didn't know she was...
GREGG - I know man. I know you would not have done that shit on purpose.
NINO - Plus I thought you knew already.
GREGG - Dude, I had no fucking idea! That bitch is saying she is pregnant by me? Dammit!
NINO - What are you gonna do?
GREGG - I don't know
.


(NINO hugs JASON. JASON begins to cry as NINO shows him the grip.)

NINO - Bro, I am so proud of you! I got some gifts for you frat!
JASON - Word!

(NINO picks up a shirt and a key chain.)

NINO - Check out this shirt! New clothing line just for Alphas and AKA's called phirst pham gear. And I got one for you and one for me.
JASON - Thanks! Thanks frat!



STUDENT - Look at the new guy! He is as good as Nino!

(NINO notices that LARRY is competing with him. NINO smiles.)

NINO - I think we have a new step master!

(NINO hugs LARRY.)

NINO - You're kinda nice there kid.
LARRY - That comes from watching you for so long!



(The brothers pose and the crowd cheers for LARRY, QUINTON and JASON. The bros start to rush the neos to congratulate them, they are all jumping all over one another. NINO is caught up in the middle.)

NINO thinks - Oh shit! I can't breathe!

(NINO tries to get out from the crowd of jumping bros but he keeps getting banged around.)

NINO coughing - Aaaagh! Get off me!

(NINO wrestles his way out and is bending over trying to catch his breath. BOBBY comes over and playfully jumps on NINO's back.)

BOBBY - Damn bruh, you aint tired yet are you? You aint old school!
NINO thinks - Get off me! I can't breathe!

(NINO stumbles and BOBBY laughs, thinking that NINO is only tired.)

BOBBY - Come on man, what's wrong?

(NINO waves his arm because he can't speak.)

BOBBY - Are you ok man? What's wrong?

(NINO waves his arm again.)

BOBBY - Are you ok man? Hey, what's wrong?

(NINO falls to one knee.)

BOBBY - Oh shit! Nino, what's wrong man? What's wrong?



QUINTON - Do you have any kind of medical problems like asthma or something?

NINO - No, never have.
QUINTON - Anyone in your family diagnosed with asthma?
NINO coughing - Not...that I know of.
BOBBY - Well come sit down on this bench and relax.

(The brothers walk over to a nearby bench so NINO can sit down and catch his breath.)



BOBBY - Man, you scared the shit out of me!
NINO - I scared the shit out of me!

(The NURSE returns.)

NURSE - Nino, I would like to run further tests on you because what I am seeing is rather serious for a person your age.

NINO - What is that?
NURSE - Well in all actuality, it is strange. Very strange. Your symptoms say asthma. But you have no medical or family history of asthma. Your x rays are showing signs however of something far more serious.
BOBBY - Nurse, what are they showing?
NURSE - From the look of your prelims, it looks to me like angina!
NINO - Angina? Is that real bad?
NURSE - Basically it means no more jumping around, getting all excited and worked up for you.



Meanwhile in Pearl library...

(NINO is at the computer.)


NINO thinks - I should be able to find some information on angina on yahoo.
NINO reads - Angina is a recurring pain or discomfort in the chest that happens when some part of the heart does not receive enough blood. It is a common symptom of coronary disease.

(NINO looks up from the computer and then continues to read.)

NINO reads - Episodes of angina occur when the heart's need for oxygen increases beyond the oxygen available from the blood nourishing the heart. Physical exertion is the most common trigger for angina.
NINO thinks - dammit!



NINO - Let me break it down for you. Steps like cold and cocky are yard steps. Steps like uh...confusion... they are show steps. You really don't want to mix the two because yard steps look whack as hell in a step show and show steps get stolen by other greeks on the yard.
LARRY - Wow, step theft!
NINO - Oh it happens. Ha ha ha.
LARRY - Ok well that makes sense. So I need to stick to show steps.
NINO - Right. Like remember this one I was showing you before?

(NINO starts to do a step to show LARRY.)

LARRY - Whoa whoa man! I don't want you jumping up and down and getting your chest all worked up.
NINO laughing - Man, I am fine. Yall been treating me like a little old lady or something.

(NINO starts jumping around frantically to prove his point. He even does a flip.)

LARRY - Damn Nino, I am more nervous than you! Ha ha ha ha.
NINO - I told you to calm down. I just did all that and I flipped and I am not even out of breath. I feel great. It is good to work up a sweat every now and then.
LARRY - If you say so.



NINO - I came through to help out but now that I am here, I need to talk to you guys so I am glad that we are all here.
LARRY - Cool, what's up man?
NINO - Yall know how important stepping is as a tradition in this chapter. And I know you all know that I love to step and to represent!
JASON - Yeah we know that. You be gettin' busy dude!
NINO - Well. unless you are inside of me, you really don't know what it feels like. To me...to me, stepping is much more than just learning a routine and doing it. I perform when I step. I love Alpha and I try my best to choreograph the tightest routines to bring the competition to its knees.
LARRY - I hear it.
NINO - But more important than the competition of stepping, stepping has become a part of my life. I never thought I would understand when an athlete retires and then brings his old ass back on the field to play another year. But now I think I know.
JASON thinks - That's kinda deep.
NINO - Stepping is an expression for me and I am not a quiet person. In other words, this is my voice and I can't keep it shut.
REGGIE - What are you saying sands?

(silence)

NINO - Bros, I am way to young to call it quits. I have to step with yall.



NINO - And...and I am going to step in the show at homecoming.
CANDACE - Oh the hell you are not!

(CANDACE puts her glass down.)


NINO - Baby, you don't understand. I have to step.
CANDACE - No Nino, you have to live! Why are you doing this to yourself?
NINO - What? I am not doing anything to myself. There isn't anything to worry about.



NINO - I want to show you something.

(CANDACE wipes her eyes.)


CANDACE - What?

NINO - Ask me a question.
CANDACE - Huh?
NINO - Ask me a question baby. Anything.
CANDACE - Uh...how do you feel?

(NINO slaps his chest, smiles and then enthusiastically claps under his left.)

NINO - What did it seem like my response said?
CANDACE - That you are all right I guess.
NINO - Right, exactly baby. Now go ahead, ask me something else.
CANDACE - Ok...uh...what time is it?

(NINO looks at his watch. He then starts to do an Alpha train step. He breaks the train six times with large pauses. Then he stops.)

CANDACE - Six?
NINO - Yes!
CANDACE - Ok that is cute, but what is the point?
NINO - This is the point, greeks step and do step shows because it is cute, or they get the audience to cheer. Or the formations are tight or maybe the costumes are bangin'. But I communicate when I step. That is what stepping is. That is where it came from.



(CANDACE keeps stepping. NINO then changes and does one of CANDACE's Sigma Gamma Rho steps.)

CANDACE - Oh uh uh!


(CANDACE starts to do the Alpha train. The beats come in together perfectly.)


NINO - Ha ha ha ha ha!
CANDACE - What you got for me now?
NINO - Shhhh!

(CANDACE gives a face as if to say that she forgot she wasn't supposed to talk. NINO nods and they keep going.)


CANDACE thinks - He is stepping so well, not coughing or anything! Wow!

(NINO motions that they are gonna finish. CANDACE understands.)


CANDACE thinks - I guess there should be a break down...right...five...six...seven...here!

(As CANDACE starts to break it down, so does NINO. They both do sixteen beats and stop at the same time with their hands in the air.)

NINO - Woooo!
CANDACE - Damn! That was tight! How do you feel though?
NINO - Never better! See what I mean? This shit is deep! How did you understand everything I was saying? I didn't say a word. I want to take this art form back to where it used to be. Back to where it needs to be. You feel me?



LARRY - Yall must had known yall were getting someone special when Nino came out for the chapter huh?


DONTE - Yeah man. Some cats it is hard to tell once they go over how they are gonna live within Alpha. Some guys cross and I think they are gonna be the work horses of the chapter. Then they never show up. Other guys seem slack and they do everything. But I knew Nino was special when I first met him.


LARRY - Really?
DONTE I knew he was gonna be special. He is a great addition to Alpha and to our chapter.



NINO - Now you kids remember the steps that I taught you right?
CICELY - Yes Mr Nino! It's like this right?

(CICELY does a step.)


NINO - That's right! You kids are so smart!

(CICELY smiles.)


NINO thinks - Ok, this is it!

(NINO gets into position and stomps his foot on the floor loudly five times. The door opens. Everyone waits for NINO's signal.)

SHAREESA thinks - Oh this is the sweetest thing in the world!

(SHAREESA immediately starts to cry as she walks through the door with GREGG and CANDACE who is blindfolded.)

GREGG - Ok Candace, we are almost there.

CANDACE - I'm gonna kill you guys! I have been blindfolded forever.
GREGG - Just a few minutes more.
CANDACE - That's what you said fifteen minutes ago.
GREGG - Well I was lying then. But this time I am serious.

(CANDACE laughs but doesn't peek. SHAREESA helps to guide her into a chair and then wipes her own tears. She bends over to whisper into CANDACE's ear.)

SHAREESA - I love you girl.

(GREGG stands behind CANDACE's chair. He smiles at NINO and the step team behind him. NINO smiles back and takes a deep breath.)

GREGG - Are you ready Candace?
CANDACE - I am very ready.

(GREGG takes off CANDACE's blindfold. CANDACE adjusts her eyes and then focuses on NINO and the children behind him. Then on the Alphas behind the children. NINO starts to step.)

NINO - One day I was walking in the city of gold...

(The children join in stepping and singing.)

CHILDREN - Where the streets are paved with gold...

NINO - And what did my eyes behold...
ALPHAS - But a lady of Sigma Gamma Rho!

(CANDACE laughs loud.)


CANDACE - Eeee-yip!

EVERYONE - She was a beautiful queen! She was a beautiful queen!
NINO - She was the finest woman I'd ever seen!
EVERYONE - She was intelligent and strong! She was intelligent and strong!
NINO - I thought about her face the whole day long!
EVERYONE - She had fire in her eyes! She had fire in her eyes!
NINO - I knew this lady was the ultimate prize!
EVERYONE - On her head she wears a crown! On her head she wears a crown!
NINO - Now give me a second to break it on down!

(Everyone starts to break the step down and it is perfect. Each line is doing something different. The Alphas are bending over so that they are almost the same height as the kids. So is NINO up front.)


CANDACE smiling - Oh my God!

(CANDACE looks over at GREGG and SHAREESA who are smiling. She looks back at NINO who is still stepping.)

CANDACE - I can't believe this!


(Suddenly the whole formation moves forward. NINO is right in front of CANDACE bending over stepping and everyone is behind him.)

NINO - Now will you please...
CHILDREN - Will you please...
ALPHAS - Will you please...

(NINO drops to one knee as the step stops.)


NINO - Marry me?



(NINO reaches into his pocket and pulls out a ring box. He opens it and presents CANDACE with an engagement ring.)


NINO - I know this ring isn't much, but I promise you that I will get you a better one after I graduate. I should make enough money to...

(CANDACE's tears stream from her eyes.)

CANDACE - Shut up boy! Of course I will marry you!

NINO - You will?
CANDACE - Yes! Yes Nino, I will marry you!

(CANDACE throws her arms around NINO as she cries. The children start to jump up and down and the Alphas start stepping.)


NINO - Girl, I love you so much. Do you know that this is the first show that we will step in together?
CANDACE - I thought about that too. Yeah. That is cool. Just don't show me up.

(NINO laughs.)

NINO - Don't act like you aint nice.
CANDACE - I mean, I got a little something something.

(They laugh together.)

CANDACE - How do you feel?

NINO - Never better.
CANDACE - Yeah right. Promise?
NINO - Can, I am about to step in my final show. I have my lady that I love dearly by my side, and I feel great. I am letting Larry do the flip at the end of the show so you don't have to worry about me working up my heart or getting my chest burning.
CANDACE - Ok.
NINO - I am being honest when I say that I have never been happier.



(The Alphas stop the step with the guys who were jumping, falling to one knee and the guys who are on the floor sitting up to meet them half way.)

NINO thinks - Oh God! I can't finish the show!

(NINO searches the crowd for the SGRho section.)

NINO - I gotta find Candace. I can ease off the stage from here and go sit down with her. I can't do the rest...oh it hurts...

(cough)

(NINO can't see the blue and gold section because the audience is jumping up and down and cameras are going off. NINO takes off his bow tie and tries to unbutton his shirt.)



(The crowd is applauding the step team. NINO starts to cough uncontrollably before he can make it off the stage. The Alphas stop stepping and tend to him.)

REGGIE - Yo, are you all right?

(NINO turns to the audience to look for CANDACE. He still does not see her section. He grabs his chest because it is burning and he cannot catch his breath.)

REGGIE - Nino! Nino! Yo Bobby Nino is hurt!

(NINO turns back around and throws his arm around REGGIE's neck to hold himself up. He sees CANDACE and GREGG trying to make their way toward the side of the stage. As NINO and CANDACE make eye contact, he smiles at her. NINO then collapses in REGGIE's arms.)



CANDACE - What? What did you say?

DR. RANIER - We're very sorry. We did all that we could.

(silence)

GREGG - There must be some mistake. You're not saying that...
CANDACE - Niiiiiiiiinoooooo!

(CANDACE screams and lunges toward the double doors where they took NINO. LARRY grabs CANDACE as she is screaming and crying.)

CANDACE crying - Noooooo! Noooooo!
GREGG crying - There must be some mistake!

(GREGG and REGGIE start to cry uncontrollably.)

GREGG crying - I know he is ok! This isn't right! This is a mistake!

SHAREESA crying - Oh my God!
CANDACE crying - Niiiiiiiinoooo! Baabyyyyyy!
DR. RANIER - I am very sorry. I wish it were a mistake. But your friend Nino has passed away.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NINO KEVON DANIELS


July 19, 1979 - December 28, 2000

No comments: