Episode 17

We begin this week’s episode with BOBBY who has gone to ALEXIS’ house. He is standing in her walkway when the door opens and QUINTON walks out putting his jacket on.

QUINTON - Bobby?

BOBBY thinks - Oh shit!

BOBBY - What’s up man?

QUINTON - Uh...nothing much...uh...what are you doing out here?

BOBBY - Uh. I just came from step practice and I was just...

QUINTON - Listen Bobby, can we talk for a few?

BOBBY - Yeah man. Sure, if you want.

QUINTON - Come on, it’s cold out here. Let’s sit in my car.

(They walk over to the car. QUINTON unlocks the doors and BOBBY gets in. QUINTON turns the car on and turns the heat on,)

BOBBY - What’s on your mind frat?

QUINTON - Actually, I wanted to ask you the same thing.

BOBBY - Huh?

QUINTON - Bobby, I know that this is a very awkward situation. I know it is.

BOBBY - Yeah.

QUINTON - But I think that it would be a lot better if you and I could be on the up and up on whatever we are feeling.

BOBBY - I hear ya bruh.

QUINTON - So let me know what is on your mind.

(silence. BOBBY turns away and looks out the window to ALEXIS’ apartment complex. He then turns back.)

BOBBY - Aight man. So we are just gonna talk it out?

QUINTON - That is what brothers do.

BOBBY - Ok. Here is the deal. Alexis meant a lot to me.

QUINTON - I know.

BOBBY - And I took her for granted when I was with her.

QUINTON - I know that too.

BOBBY - I am not trying to get back with her or anything like that. I am not hating on you either. I just think that there are some unfinished things that she and I need to discuss. It is just...

(silence.)

QUINTON - What?

(QUINTON looks concerned.)

BOBBY - It is just difficult for me to close this chapter of my life. Yes I have moved on. Hell, I had moved on before we broke up. But it is difficult to close this. I think with closure, I will feel better.

QUINTON - I see.

BOBBY - Yeah.

QUINTON - But what do you think your closure will do to her?

BOBBY - What do you mean?

QUINTON - Closure will bring an end to this chapter of your life. I am sure that with your closure process, you will make some apologies, say your peace and walk away. But that doesn’t necessarily close it for Alexis. That just closes it for you. In that sense, it isn’t fair to her for you to do that.

BOBBY - But what about what is fair for me?

QUINTON - You shouldn’t get any fair treatment because you were the one that was foul. If you hadn’t violated her trust in the first place, you wouldn’t be in this position.

(BOBBY raises his voice a little.)

BOBBY - Well who are you to tell me what is fair between me and Alexis?

QUINTON - A very concerned party.

BOBBY - Well I think you may be over stepping your bounds right now bruh. Just a little.

QUINTON - No I’m not.

BOBBY - How so?

QUINTON - I care a lot about Alexis and I don’t want to see her hurt.

BOBBY - That is fine and dandy. But I am going to need for you to back up a little.

QUINTON - Hey look, don’t get mad at me bruh. I came to you and asked you what you thought of this whole thing. You sat there and told me to go ahead and pursue Alexis if I wanted to. So don’t get mad at me now that I took you up on your advice. If you didn’t mean it, you shouldn’t have said it.

BOBBY - Trina was sitting right there when you asked me! What did you expect me to say?

QUINTON - I expected you to say the truth.

BOBBY - Well Quinton, the truth is...I still love Alexis and it hurts me that you two are together.

(silence.)

QUINTON - Well I am sorry bruh. But I think I am falling in love with Alexis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We rejoin the AKA’s at their Toys for Tots program. SHAREESA has just walked into the back room and sees GREGG laying on top of PJ.

SHAREESA - How is the toy coun...

GREGG thinks - Oh shit!

PJ thinks - Oh shit!

SHAREESA - What the hell is...Gregg! What are you...

(GREGG quickly tries to get up off of PJ.)

GREGG - Shareece!

SHAREESA - What the hell is going on in here?

GREGG - Baby, I can explain!

SHAREESA - Don’t baby me! What the hell are you doing with her! I knew you were foul Gregg!

GREGG - No! Wait! This is not how it looks!

SHAREESA - Yeah right!

(SHAREESA has really raised her voice.)

APRIL - What the hell is going on in the back room?

(Her and KATRICE turn around.)

SHAREESA - I knew it Gregg! How you gonna do this with me right in the other room! I knew you were a dog!

GREGG - Baby, let me explain! This is not how it looks. PJ tripped over a toy and I fell down. We crashed on the floor! That’s the truth! I didn’t do anything!

SHAREESA - Yeah right!

GREGG - It’s true! Tell her PJ!

(PJ looks away.)

GREGG - Tell her PJ!

PJ - I think this is better discussed between you and your...girl.

(PJ goes to leave the room.)

GREGG - Wait a minute! Hey wait!

(PJ walks out smiling.)

GREGG - Now wait a minute Shareece! You can’t think that I would...

SHAREESA - I am tired of all of your lies Gregg! I knew it! Something inside of me was telling me that you were no good!

GREGG - Shareese baby! You gotta believe me!

SHAREESA - All I gotta do is be black and die!

(GREGG looks over SHAREESA’s shoulder and sees AKA’s, parents and little kids all staring.)

GREGG thinks - Oh shit!

GREGG whispers - Look Reece, this is not the time nor the place to disuss this. So I am going to go home. But when you leave here, come over so we can talk about this.

(SHARESA doesn’t answer.)

GREGG whispers - Is that ok?

(SHAREESA looks up at GREGG with a very stern look but with tears in her eyes. GREGG looks her in the eye. He then walks out.)

SHAREESA thinks - Oh God!

(SHAREESA doesn’t want to turn around and face the onlooking eyes. She then hears the door close behind her.)

PJ - Shareesa, can we talk soror?

SHAREESA - About what?

PJ - Um...Gregg is telling the truth Shareesa. I tripped and he fell with me. There was nothing going on.

SHAREESA - I know. I know that. But I don’t think that he has been honest with me in our entire relationship.

PJ - Uh huh.

SHAREESA - I have always believed him one hundred percent. But I think he has been stringing me along with a lot because he knows that I will always be here.

PJ - Yeah.

SHAREESA - It’s hard PJ. I love him so much. It is real hard.

PJ - I understand.

SHAREESA - With all of Gregg’ energy and ambition. And his drive, he is an easy person to love.

PJ - Uh huh.

SHAREESA - And he aint bad to look at.

PJ - So can you see how I got caught up?

SHAREESA - Yeah. Can you see how I got caught up defending him?

PJ - Yeah, I can.

(silence.)

(PJ and SHAREESA hug and the tears fall down SHAREESA’s cheeks.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the Burke Campus at Ahpla, there is a homecoming meeting taking place regarding the stepshow. The meeting is led by SUEDE, a member of Kappa Alpha Psi. NINO, MAX, WILLIE and RONNIE are in attendance.

SUEDE - I want to thank you all for coming. Just by way of introduction, my name is Suede and I am the host of step correct. I will be the host of the step show for Ahpla’s homecoming.

RONNIE - Cool.

SUEDE - I got a message from my frat brother Gregg. I know he cannot make this meeting and I also heard from the ladies of Zeta Phi Beta. I will give them the info from this meeting later on this evening.

MAX - That sounds good.

SUEDE - Just to let you know how this is going to work. I will come out to open the show. We will have a prayer, my mom usually takes care of that.

NINO - Yeah, I remember that from the new york show.

SUEDE - Right. And then the singing of the black national anthem. My sisters usually do that.

MAX - Cool.

SUEDE - And then we get down to business. You all can write up a few notes about your chapter for me to read as I introduce your step team. I will get the crowd hype. Me and the dj will handle that so the enthusiasm will be behind you.

CANDACE - Cool.

SUEDE - And then I bring you out. Everybody cool with that?

(Everyone agrees.)

SUEDE - Ok cool. Now Max, you told me that yall already figured out the order of the show?

MAX - Yeah. We drew from a hat at the last meeting. Candace, do you have that information?

CANDACE - Yeah. I have it right here. Ok, here is the order of the show.

(SUEDE pulls out a pen and a pad.)

CANDACE - Ok, the Zetas go first. Followed by the Ques. Then the Deltas and then Sigma Gamma Rho. Next is the Sigmas. They are coming from Amgis college. AKA’s next and then the Kappas. Then the Alphas close out the show.

SUEDE - Ok...oh so no Iotas?

CANDACE - We haven’t confirmed them yet.

SUEDE - Ok that is cool. Now did you guys get all the information on the prize money and everything?

NINO - No. At least I didn’t.

MAX - Me neither.

SUEDE - Ok hold on.

(SUEDE reaches into his bag and pulls out a folder.)

SUEDE - I have it right here. Hold on a sec.

(CANDACE leans over to NINO.)

CANDACE - You hungry baby?

NINO - Yeah, you want to grab something when we leave here?

CANDACE - Fo sho!

NINO - Aight.

CANDACE - How is your chest feeling?

NINO - I’m cool.

CANDACE - Yeah now you are, because you are sitting your ass down finally!

(NINO playfully smacks CANDACE’s leg.)

SUEDE - Oh here it is. Ok. First place gets a trophy and one thousand dollars. Second is a trophy and five hundred. Third place is a trophy.

NINO - Ok.

SUEDE - Are there any other questions?

RONNIE - Yeah, what is the time limit?

NINO - Yeah.

SUEDE - Good question. It is fifteen. So I think you will all have plenty of time to get on and off.

MAX - Cool.

SUEDE - As far as the judges, of course one from each organization. Highest and lowest score gets discarded.

RONNIE - Ok.

CANDACE - Cool.

SUEDE - That should be everything.

NINO - I think so.

SUEDE - Well everyone. Good luck to you. Have a fun show and I will see you all on stage next week.

(Everyone smiles as they get up and start to collect their things.)

RONNIE thinks - I wonder what Trina is doing now?

NINO - Ok Suede, nice meeting you man.

SUEDE - Oh no doubt. My pleasure.

(SUEDE gives NINO a pound.)

CANDACE - Nice meeting you.

SUEDE - You too Candace.

(SUEDE and CANDACE hug.)

NINO - Where you headed Max?

MAX - We are doing our toys for tots today so I have to meet sorors over there.

NINO - Oh yeah that’s right. Well I’ll see you later.

MAX - Cool, yall take care.

(Everyone walks out and SUEDE is collecting his folders and putting them into his bag. He is startled as someone walks into the room behind him. He turns around.)

SUEDE - Oh you startled me. I thought the building was empty.

MONA - Sorry about that. You’re Suede aren’t you?

SUEDE - Yes I am. And you are?

MONA - Mona, spring two thousand AKA.

SUEDE - Oh ok. Nice to meet you.

MONA - I just need to inform you that there will be two AKA step teams in the homecoming show this year.

No comments: