Episode 31

The big game has started. The Ahpla Angels are playing the Amgis Blue Devils in basketball. The game is in the Ahpla Dome and every seat is filled. PJ, JUNE and KATRICE have come to the game together.

JUNE - Ooooh did you see that? Buck just stole the ball and dunked it! What a way to start the game!

PJ - Yeah, and it looks like there are just as many Amgis students here as there are Ahpla students! Now they're all screaming!

KATRICE - I'm just trying to figure out who June is rooting for.

JUNE - What?

KATRICE - Don't act dumb sands, you know you want Buck to win.

(JUNE smiles.)

JUNE - You never heard me say that.

PJ - You didn't have to say it sands. It's written all over your face.

(PJ playfully puts her finger on JUNE's face. JUNE laughs.)

JUNE - Stop!

PJ - But what is up with you and Buck? You seem to like the basketball player types.

JUNE - I mean...I don't know. We'll see.

KATRICE - Well I'm sure Derrick aint gonna be too happy about that.

PJ - Derrick aint looking happy right now anyway! Look at the scoreboard!

(They all look and see that the score is Amgis 12 and Ahpla 2.)

PJ - Damn!

JUNE thinks - Derrick is not focusing. I know he isn't. That is always his problem.

PJ - How the hell did they get twelve points so quick?

KATRICE - I sure don't know. We just started talking for like a few seconds and now look at the score! They are killing us!

PJ - Yeah and their fans are loving it!

(An Amgis player hits a long jump shot which is worth three points. The mood in the gymnasium is starting to shift. COACH EDWARDS calls a time out.)

PJ - What the hell? Fifteen to two?

KATRICE - Hey, let's get a soda while there is a time out. Maybe we can say a prayer for our team while we wait in line.

(They all laugh as they get up and follow some other students out.)

KATRICE - June, you better keep it on the hush that you are seeing Buck girl! With all these pissed off Ahpla students, it may cause a riot if someone knew you were sleeping with the enemy!

JUNE - Who said I was slee...

(PJ raises her voice above the crowd.)

PJ - Hey June, aren't you dating...

(JUNE jumps and grabs PJ's mouth.)

JUNE - PJ shut up!

(PJ laughs hysterically.)

PJ - I'm just playing girl! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

(They get in line to buy a few snacks and PJ recognizes someone in line in front of them at the counter.)

PJ - Hey isn't that...it is!

KATRICE - Who?

PJ - Jahanna!

KATRICE - Ja who?

JUNE - Oh that girl who wants to be an AKA! I spoke to her a few weeks ago.

PJ - Yall wanna have some fun?

JUNE - PJ!

PJ - You know you want to! Come on!

(The AKAs approach JAHANNA who is buying something.)

PJ - You trying to buy me something to eat too?

(JAHANNA turns around and sees PJ standing behind her.)

JAHANNA - Um...no!

(JAHANNA turns back around.)

KATRICE - What!

(JAHANNA turns again and sees JUNE and KATRICE as well.)

JAHANNA thinks - Oh shit!

JAHANNA - Oh uh...yes...uh...hello June and Katrice. Uh...

KATRICE - What did you say?

JAHANNA - I said uh...

PJ - Like I was saying, I want a hot dog and a sprite.

KATRICE - Make that three.

JUNE - Guys, maybe we shouldn't...

(JAHANNA turns to the counter.)

JAHANNA - Can I please add three hot dogs and three sprites to my order.

(KATRICE smiles. As she gets her food, she turns to leave and bumps into another student and drops everything.)

KATRICE - Dammit! Watch where you are going!

JERRELL - Oh I'm so sorry, let me get that for you and get you another one.

(The AKAs and JAHANNA look down as JERRELL picks up KATRICE's stuff and goes to buy her another hot dog and sprite.)

PJ thinks - Ok, he is fine as hell!

JUNE thinks - Ok, he is fine as hell!

JAHANNA thinks - Ok, I am mad I bought PJ a hot dog!

(JERRELL hands the new order to KATRICE.)

KATRICE - You should watch where you are going! Damn Amgis students!

JERRELL - Here is your new hot dog and soda. But I will make this up to you over dinner...and who said I went to Amgis...

(JERRELL looks at KATRICE's AKA jacket.)

JERRELL - ...soror!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUCK just stole the ball from DERRICK and slam dunked it for the first two points of the game.

DERRICK thinks - Dammit!

(BUCK runs back laughing as the ball is put back in play. DERRICK runs down the court.)

DERRICK thinks - I can't let Buck play with me! He was just testing me! He isn't seeing June! He is just fuckin' with my mind!

(The ball is passed to DERRICK again. BUCK runs over.)

BUCK - Hey Derrick, maybe if you would have supported June pledging AKA, she wouldn't be with me now! How you not gonna support your girl bruh? As fine as she is! Stupid ass!

DERRICK thinks - How could he have known that without talking to her?

(DERRICK passes the ball to a team mate but an Amgis player jumps in the way and catches it. He runs down the court and scores two more points. The score is now four to zero.)

DERRICK thinks - This is ridiculous! Shit!

(DERRICK looks over at his coach. COACH EDWARDS gives the thumbs up sign.)

COACH EDWARDS - It's ok guys! Come on! Focus!

(DERRICK runs back down court. He doesn't have the ball but BUCK is on him anyway.)

DERRICK - Stop talking shit Buck and play the game!

BUCK - Oh you don't want me to do that D. Cuz then I will really out play you! Ha ha.

(The ball is passed to DERRICK and he quickly passes it to someone else.)

BUCK - What's the matter D? You don't want to handle the ball anymore?

(DERRICK ignores him and runs to the other side of the basket. BUCK runs with him.)

BUCK - Come on D, get the ball and take a shot! I dare you!

(DERRICK ignores him.)

BUCK - Come on! Shoot! I'll give you the shot! I'll back away! Shoot!

(The ball is passed to DERRICK and he immediately shoots and misses. An Amgis student grabs the ball. BUCK just shakes his head laughing.)

DERRICK thinks - Shit!

(An Amgis student makes a long shot worth three points. The Amgis cheerleaders start to jump up and down as the score is now seven to zero.)

DERRICK thinks - Fuck this!

(DERRICK grabs the ball and runs full speed down court. His team mates call for him to pass the ball but he doesn't.)

DERRICK thinks - This is for little D!

(DERRICK shoots and it goes in. The Ahpla students cheer like they have won the game. The score is seven to two.)

BUCK - Lucky shot!

(BUCK gets the ball and runs toward the Amgis basket. He jumps up for the shot and DERRICK jumps up with him. Their bodies collide in the air sending both players to the floor. As the whistle blows, the balls bounces on the rim and goes in. The basket counts and there is a foul.)

BUCK - Nice foul Derrick. Next time steal my wallet while you are at it!

(BUCK steps to the foul line to take his shot. He concentrates...and makes the shot. The score is ten to two.)

DERRICK - Pass me the ball!

(The ball is passed to DERRICK and he glances at COACH EDWARDS who holds two fingers up.)

DERRICK thinks - Ok I know this play. I know it like the back of my hand!

(DERRICK passes the ball and then runs right under the basket. As the ball is passed back to him, BUCK jumps in the way and steals it. The Ahpla students are starting to boo.)

DERRICK - Damn! Damn!

(DERRICK tries to run and catch BUCK but it is too late. BUCK has passed the ball to a team mate who has scored an easy basket. The score is twelve to two.)

BUCK - Hey Derrick, you are worse than I thought! You are not playing a good game for the fans and the ex girlfriends!

DERRICK - What?

BUCK - Oh you didn't see the AKAs come in together with all that pink and green on?

(BUCK quickly points. DERRICK glances and sees a pink jacket. He focus his attention and sees PJ, KATRICE and JUNE talking. One second later, BUCK steals the ball from him.)

COACH EDWARDS - Derrick! What are you doing!

(BUCK runs down and pulls up for a three point shot which he makes. The score is fifteen to two. COACH EDWARDS calls a time out.)

COACH EDWARDS - Get over here!

(BUCK cracks up laughing as he slaps high five with his team mates and the Ahpla cheerleaders take to the floor. The Ahpla players sit down.)

COACH EDWARDS - What the hell is your problem Derrick?

DERRICK - I'm sorry coach, I just...

COACH EDWARDS - No excuses! What the hell is the matter!

DERRICK - It's Buck! He is seeing my ex!

(silence)

COACH EDWARDS - So!

DERRICK - But...

COACH EDWARDS - Be quiet! I think you need to sit here on the bench for a while! You're not going back in!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MIRI is sitting inside Pharoah's by himself. The place has not opened yet and the bartender is setting up for the evening.

BARTENDER - What's up Miri!

MIRI - What's up dog?

BARTENDER - You performing tonight?

MIRI - Yeah.

BARTENDER - Cool man. We are expecting a big crowd tonight.

MIRI - Is that right?

BARTENDER - Yeah, after the game lets out, everyone is coming here.

MIRI - Oh that's right! We're playing Amgis tonight!

(MIRI remembers his experience at Amgis with the Sigmas.)

MIRI thinks - I wonder if that white boy is gonna still try out! Ha ha ha ha ha, the Sigmas are gonna dead that shit quick!

BARTENDER - Yeah, biggest game of the year.

MIRI - Well I hope we win because if not, we will have an angry crowd. Ha ha ha ha ha.

BARTENDER - Yeah, we don't want that! Ha ha ha.

(MIRI goes toward the back and sits at a table. He pulls out some notes and starts to prepare his thoughts for the show.)

MIRI thinks - I got so much in my head. Gina and Sigma. Damn. What the hell am I gonna speak on tonight? If I pour out my soul, I will basically tell the world that I want to be a Sigma. Especially after I spoke so bad about frats.

And even worse, I tell about my feelings for...

(MIRI is startled as someone is standing over him.)

MONA - Hey baby!

MIRI thinks - Oh shit!

MIRI - Hi!

(MIRI stands up and they hug and kiss.)

MIRI - How did you get in...I mean, how did you know I was here?

MONA - Where else would you be boo? And they all know me here. So they let me in.

MIRI - Cool.

MONA - How you feeling?

MIRI - Ok. Just getting ready to perform tonight.

MONA - Since when did you need preparation baby. You are the bomb.

MIRI - Thanks.

(MONA sits down.)

MONA - So how did things go with the Sigma meeting?

MIRI - Very interesting. We went to Amgis college and met the Sigmas from there. They were real cool. I even met a few guys that may wind up pledging Sigma over there at the same time with me.

MONA - Oh that is cool. Real cool.

MIRI - Yeah.

(MONA tries to peek at MIRI's notes.)

MIRI - Nope, no peeking.

(MONA laughs.)

MONA - Ok ok. Well what you should do is write a poem about how you want to be a Sigma.

MIRI - Are you crazy? That is the last thing I want to do.

MONA - Why not?

MIRI - Because...I mean...you know. You're greek, you should know. Discretion. Keeping your shit on the down low. You know?

MONA - No, I don't know. I think if you want to be greek, tell the world! I did.

MIRI thinks - Good grief!

MONA - But, it's your little quest. Suit yourself.

MIRI thinks - Little quest?

MONA - Well if you don't do a poem about Sigma, how about doing a poem about how you feel about me.

(MONA smiles as she gets up and tries to sit on MIRI's lap.)

MIRI - Uh...not a good idea either.

(MIRI moves MONA off of him.)

MONA - Why not?

MIRI - I just don't think that that would be a good idea either. That's all.

MONA - Why not?

MIRI - Because.

MONA - Because what?

(MONA starts to raise her voice. MIRI is getting irritated.)

MONA - Because what Miri?

(silence)

MIRI - I tell you what Mona, you win. Listen to my poem tonight. And you will know...exactly...exactly how I feel.

No comments: