Episode 32

The AKAs are in the hall of the Ahpla Dome. They have just met JERRELL who has purchased a hot dog and soda for KATRICE.

(JERRELL hands the new order to KATRICE.)

KATRICE - You should watch where you are going! Damn Amgis students!

JERRELL - Here is your new hot dog and soda. But I will make this up to you over dinner...and who said I went to Amgis...

(JERRELL looks at KATRICE's AKA jacket.)

JERRELL - ...soror!

(PJ and JUNE look at each other.)

KATRICE - What did you say?

(JERRELL smiles.)

JERRELL - I said, I will make this up to you over dinner.

KATRICE - Not that part! The other part! What did you call me?

JERRELL - I called you soror.

KATRICE - You're an Alpha?

JERRELL - Yep. Or else I couldn't call you soror now could I?


(KATRICE rolls her eyes. PJ jumps up.)

PJ - Hey frat! I am PJ and these are my line sisters, June and Katrice.

JERRELL - Hey!

(They all hug him one at a time.)

PJ thinks - This is the finest Alpha I have ever seen in my life!

PJ - So you don't go to Amgis frat?

JERRELL - Nope, I transferred here in January.

PJ - Really? Where you been? Have you met any of the other bros on the yard?

JERRELL - Actually I haven't. I have been so busy with my transfer and getting as many credits as I can to move over. And then my major is accounting, so you know that is no joke!

PJ - Wow, well welcome to Ahpla. We have to introduce you to some of the bros. They are real cool.

JERRELL - Cool.

PJ - As a matter of fact, I know that they are here at the game. They always sit in the same section. We can go check them out right now.

JERRELL - Cool.

(PJ leads JERRELL, JUNE and KATRICE through the crowd toward the other side of the gym. JERRELL speaks to KATRICE.)

JERRELL - So when are we going?

KATRICE - Huh?

JERRELL - When are we going?

KATRICE - Going where?

JERRELL - Dinner. When are we going to dinner?

KATRICE - I never said that you could take me out to dinner.

(KATRICE rolls her eyes. JERRELL smiles.)

JERRELL - But then you didn't say that I couldn't either.

KATRICE - Well let me make it official. You can't take me out to dinner.

JERRELL - Well how about an early breakfast. During dinner time.

JUNE thinks - What the heck is wrong with Katrice? She aint trying to get up on this fine ass brother?

PJ - Oh, there are a couple of the bros right there. Hey Larry!

(LARRY and QUINTON turn around and wave. The AKAs approach with JERRELL.)

PJ - Hey guys.

LARRY - What's up ladies? How yall doing?

PJ - Good, what's up with you?

LARRY - Pissed about this game, I know that much!

PJ - Yeah, Amgis is killin' us!

LARRY - I am pissed at Coach Edwards! I told his ass to sign me up for the team!

(Everyone looks at LARRY like he is crazy. Then they laugh.)

QUINTON - Man, you are an idiot!

PJ - Anyway! Hey, I wanted yall to meet Jerrell. He is frat and he just transferred to Ahpla this year.

LARRY - Oh really? Hey what's up frat! My name is Larry.

JERRELL - Hey what's up bruh.

(LARRY and JERRELL grip each other.)

QUINTON - What's up frat, I'm Quinton.

JERRELL - Nice to meet you man, Jerrell.

(QUINTON and JERRELL grip each other.)

LARRY - Yeah man, this is Quinton, our new chapter president.

QUINTON - Larry!

JERRELL - You are? Congratulations frat!

QUINTON - Thanks but hold the congrats until next week. We don't have our elections until next week. We just announced the candidates at the last meeting.

LARRY - Yeah but you know that you are gonna win. Come on.

QUINTON - I aint jinxing myself.

PJ - Well who is running against you?

QUINTON - Our old president Bobby wants a second term. He did a terrific job as president last year and I think he has more programs on his agenda that he wants to see through. So he is gonna run again. I think that I have a good chance but Bobby is the ultimate Alpha man. He holds all the ideals of the fraternity close to his heart and has led this chapter in a great direction for the past year. He will be hard to beat.

TRINA - I don't think he will be hard to beat at all!

(Nobody saw TRINA walk up and over hear the conversation. They all turn and look at her.)

TRINA - Especially since he was on line with Ronnie for Omega Psi Phi for two weeks before he dropped and pledged Alpha. I don't think that Alpha is in his heart the way yall think it is!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is now the start of the second half of Amgis vs. Ahpla. DERRICK has been on the bench and Amgis is leading 41 - 30. The players are coming out of the locker room and headed back to the court.

COACH EDWARDS - Alright guys, you all have your assignments. Everyone knows where they have to go and where they need to be at all times. We are in the hole by eleven points. But that is not insurmountable. We have come back from larger deficits. So let's stick to the plan and focus. Focus! Let's go!

(The referree blows the whistle to start the second half. The players take the floor, including DERRICK.)

BUCK - Had a nice nap D? We missed ya out here.

DERRICK - I'm cool. Feeling a lot better thanks.

BUCK - We'll see!

(The ball is put into play and Ahpla has the ball. DERRICK runs down toward the basket. BUCK is on him.)

BUCK - Ok D, as soon as the ball is passed to you, let's see you choke again.

(The ball is passed to DERRICK.)

BUCK - Alright D, let me see if...

(DERRICK fakes passing the ball behind his back and actually bounces the ball between BUCK's legs. BUCK chases the ball and falls on the floor. DERRICK easily passes him and slams it for the first shot of the second half. The crowd goes wild.)

DERRICK thinks - Focus! Focus! Focus!

(DERRICK runs down court as if he doesn't notice the Ahpla crowd now screaming. As Amgis brings the ball downcourt, a player takes a shot and misses. DERRICK runs full speed toward his basket as the ball is thrown to him.)

BUCK thinks - Oh shit!

(BUCK tries to outrun DERRICK to stop him from slam dunking but DERRICK stops and takes a three point jump shot. It goes in.)

DERRICK thinks - Focus on the basket! Focus!

(The Ahpla band starts to play and the crowd is jumping up and down.)

BUCK - Yo, pass me the ball!

(BUCK gets the ball and brings it up court. DERRICK guards him. BUCK passes it.)

BUCK thinks - Come on, take the shot!

(His team mate takes the shot and misses, an Ahpla player grabs the ball. They bring the ball back down court.)

DERRICK - Right here! Right here!

(They pass the ball to DERRICK. He looks to the right and passes to the left to a player who makes another shot. The Amgis coach calls a time out. All the Ahpla students are dancing in the aisles and in their seats along with the band.)

DERRICK thinks - Yes! Yes! Keep my focus!

(BUCK watches as DERRICK slaps hands with his team mates.)

COACH EDWARDS - There you go Derrick! When you focus, I don't care what the hell that kid says to you! Zone him out and make him play your game! Keep your head in it! Good job!

(The game goes back and forth between both teams with the crowd up and down for both schools. It is an exciting, intense match as it approaches one minute left in the fourth quarter. COACH EDWARDS calls the last time out. The score is 89 - 85. Amgis is winning.)

COACH EDWARDS - Listen guys, this is the most important possession right here! It is their ball, if they score here, they will be winning by six points with less than a minute to go. We have to keep them from scoring and then make two baskets! Stay on them and don't foul anybody!

(The referee blows the whistle and the players come back out.)

BUCK - Ok Derrick, I know you have been ignoring me. But let's see if you choke during the final minute like you did the last time yall played us.

(DERRICK doesn't respond and the ball is put into play. Amgis has the ball. :59 on the clock.)

BUCK - Pass it here! Pass it...

(:50 seconds)

(They throw the ball to BUCK but it is thrown too high and it goes out of bounds. It is now Ahpla ball.)

BUCK - That's ok man, just calm down. This is still our game aight? No problem.

(:45 seconds)

(The ball is put into play for Ahpla. They pass the ball to DERRICK and he passes it inside. An Ahpla player takes a shot and misses but he was fouled. He gets to take two foul shots. The Ahpla crowd cheers.)

(:37 seconds)

(The Ahpla player makes the first foul shot. DERRICK slaps his hand to encourage him as the crowd cheers. The score is now Amgis 89 - Ahpla 86.)

DERRICK - Come on Ricky, you can make this shot! Focus!

(RICKY takes the second shot and it goes in. The crowd erupts as the score is now 89 - 87. Amgis has the ball and they start to play.)

(:30 seconds)

(Everyone in the Ahpla Dome, Ahpla students and Amgis students, stands up.)

BUCK - Stay calm fellas! Let's run it out!

(BUCK gets the ball and he quickly passes it.)

(:27 seconds)

DERRICK thinks - Focus!

(:25 seconds)

(BUCK gets the ball again and DERRICK runs to him.)

(:23 seconds)

BUCK - Take this D!

(BUCK takes a long shot and it hits the rim and bounces off. RICKY from Ahpla grabs it. The crowd screams and then quiets quickly as the clock is still running.)

(:19 seconds)

(RICKY passes the ball to DERRICK who takes his time walking toward the Ahpla end of the court bouncing the ball.)

(:16 seconds)

(The crowd is screaming, Amgis is winning by two points.)

(:14 seconds)

BUCK - Wow Derrick, seems like we were here before huh?

(DERRICK ignores him.)

BUCK - Oh you're ignoring me again? Huh?

(:10 seconds)

BUCK - So Derrick...

(DERRICK is bouncing the ball, watching the clock and watching his team mates run around the basket.)

(:8 seconds)

BUCK - So Derrick...how is the son? What's his name? Little Bobby? Oh no...Little Derrick. Oh wait, that isn't really your son right? Oh my bad!

(:5 seconds)

(DERRICK looks at BUCK.)

(:3 seconds)

(DERRICK jumps and takes a three point shot. BUCK jumps to block the shot.)

(:1 second...BUZZER)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We join MIRI who is back stage at Pharoahs. He is preparing for his performance. He has heard a lot of noise as the place is filling up with students.

EMOREJ - What's up Miri.

MIRI - Hey man, how you?

(They give each other a pound.)

EMOREJ - Chillin' man. Just holding it down.

MIRI - I hear ya.

EMOREJ - Sounds like we got a real lively crowd tonight huh?

MIRI - Yeah, they are probably coming in from the big game.

EMOREJ - Yeah, didn't you hear about it? It was the best game of the year. Down to the wire.

MIRI - Really? Who won?

EMOREJ - Ahpla did, by one point.

MIRI - Good shit!

EMOREJ - Alright man, good luck tonight. I am about to open the show.

MIRI - Cool man, thanks.

(EMOREJ leaves and MIRI goes over his poem in his head. He hears the crowd quiet down as EMOREJ speaks into the mic.)

EMOREJ - Brothers and sisters, welcome to Pharoahs. We are indeed happy to have you here tonight. We welcome the students who came all the way from Amgis College from the big game.

(Many Amgis call out from the crowd.)

STUDENTS - Ay! C! Ay C!

EMOREJ - True that, true that. But I heard that Ahpla won that game tonight! Any Ahpla students in the house?

(Most of the crowd stands up and screams.)

CROWD - Ay U!

EMOREJ - Congrats to the Ahpla U basketball team who I heard put on a hell of a performance and came back from being eleven points down at half time. Way to work it out!

(The crowd cheers.)

EMOREJ - Alright, let's get started tonight. We got some poets lined up to kick a few verses to yall this evening. And this poet is no stranger to this stage nor to yall. Brothers and sisters, help me bring out...Miri Bakhan from Ahpla U.

(The crowd stands and claps. Some whistle.)

CROWD - Ay U! Ay U! Ay U!

(MIRI walks out and approaches the mic.)

MONA thinks - Miri said that I would know exactly how he felt about me from what he says on stage. I certainly didn't care for his attitude when he said it either! We'll talk about that after this performance!

MIRI - Sisters and brothers, I greet you in the name of peace and harmony. This piece that I am about to do is for someone...special. She knows who she is and she knows why I am doing this. It is because she asked to know how I feel. Well, this is exactly how I feel.

(MIRI steps back from the mic, clears his throat and approaches the mic again.)

MIRI - You asked me how I feel

and to keep it real.

So I guess it’s time I told you the real deal.

My mind never wandered into the greek color scheme.

So how did I get caught up in a pink and green dream?

(MONA smiles.)

MIRI - Actually let me rephrase

because back in the days

pink and green was cool to wear

because sisters weren’t afraid to get hazed.

But in your case

the only taste

you may have had of wood

is a tooth pick. Was it good?

MONA - What?

MIRI - And we all know how you roll.

You prefer to roll...er...skate.

Not calling out names, but isn’t that why you’re called Paper Wait?

JUNE thinks - Oh shit!

PJ - Yeah! Yeah! Go Miri! Whoo hoooo!

MIRI - You sport it like it’s a name to fame.

But anyone with good sense knows it’s a name to shame.

But I didn’t have good sense.

Because I didn’t know the difference.

Until I started my journey

and now it’s plain to see.

It’s so plain to see. It’s so plain to see.

(MIRI pauses.)

MIRI - So the truth is I respect you a great deal.

I really do.

So it’s nothing against you.

I just hate how you pursue.

If you don’t even respect your ivy vine,

how could you respect the other organizations? The other nine?

Or how can you respct what I hope to one day be mine?

(MIRI pauses.)

MIRI - And that’s my problem. You can’t.

You’d rather rave and rant.

You start he say she say.

He does, she doesn’t.

She was, he wasn’t.

Go into chat rooms before you cross.

Wear your mother’s letters that she thought she lost.

And just when I think there could be nothing else...

you want to suspend all your chapter sorors, except for yourself!

(Everyone laughs.)

MIRI - So you say you did pledge? Well who is your front and back?

Why did you sneak off with the trophy? I’m glad they got it back.

And now you’re calling a soror a perp because of what she didn’t do?

Well I spoke to her sorors too.

And she pledged harder than you.

And she respects her letters.

Has pride in pink and green sweaters.

Has respect when she throws the sign.

And respects members of the divine nine.

And if I had a choice of my own,

(MIRI pauses.)

MIRI - Well that is another poem.

(pause)

MIRI - You wanted to know how I feel? You really wanted to know how I feel?

I am sorry, but this is how I really feel.

I need to be alone, and that’s on the real.

(The crowd claps as MIRI steps down. The AKAs are standing up and clapping.)

MONA thinks - So that is how it is? Fine!

(MONA storms out.)

No comments: