Episode 34

We begin this week's episode with the Alphas who are getting ready to begin their chapter meeting.

BOBBY - Bros, bros, let's settle down and get started. Today is an important day.

(BOBBY glances over at QUINTON who smiles back at him.)

BOBBY - Alright, first of all...

(LARRY comes through the door yelling.)

LARRY - One one one one nine!

ALPHAS - Oh six!

(Everyone laughs except BOBBY.)

BOBBY - Thank you Larry for announcing yourself.

LARRY - Ha ha ha ha, my bad bruh. I didn't know the meeting had started.

BOBBY - Yeah it has so if you wouldn't mind...

LARRY - Ooooh touchy.

(LARRY giggles as he sits down.)

BOBBY - As I was saying...

(REGGIE walks in with JERRELL.)

REGGIE - Hey guys, sorry I am late. But I met this bro here named...

(LARRY jumps out of his seat.)

LARRY - Greetings dean! Oh wait...my bad, we crossed already didn't we?

(Everyone in the room cracks up laughing...except BOBBY.)

REGGIE - Man you're stupid! I met this bro here named Jerrell. He just transferred to Ahpla this semester.

JERRELL - What's up frat!

BOBBY - Welcome brother. You can sit right there next to the court jester.

(BOBBY points at LARRY. Everyone laughs.)

BOBBY - Ok, if there are no more interruptions...

(BOBBY looks at the door for someone else to burst in.)

BOBBY - Ok good. Let's get started. Now you know the importance of today's meeting, it is election time. For you neos that don't know the way that this works, here is the procedure. Each candidate for president will be allowed three minutes to speak on his own behalf. The other candidate must wait in the hall until it is his turn. Then both candidates must leave as the brothers discuss pros and cons of each candidate, and then vote. Any questions?

(silence)

BOBBY - Ok. Would you like to flip a coin to see who goes first Q?

QUINTON - No need. You can go. You have seniority.

BOBBY - Very well. You wait in the hall and I will grab you when it is your turn to address the chapter.

QUINTON - Cool.

(QUINTON gets up to leave. LARRY whispers to him.)

LARRY whispers - You aint got nothing to worry about!

(LARRY smiles. QUINTON smiles back. QUINTON walks out.)

BOBBY - Brothers, I will keep this brief. Although I have a worthy candidate in seeking the office of president of this most prestigious chapter, I feel that I am the candidate which will move this chapter in the forward direction that it needs to go. I will simply speak on three points. Leadership, committment and brotherhood.

(BOBBY pulls out two pieces of paper.)

BOBBY - I have had the pleasure and the honor of occupying the position of president of this chapter for one year now. My leadership ability therefore cannot be questioned. I have led this chapter through an up and down year from doing programs, to monitoring the pledge process, to winning a stepshow and losing a beloved brother all in the same night. But we have stood strong and endured all that we had to do. I am a leader. I'm not saying that Quinton is not. But at least with me, you know that I am. I have proven it. Quinton hasn't. So is he or is he not?

(BOBBY pauses.)

BOBBY - I am very committed to the brotherhood. All of you can say that I am one of the most brotherly brothers you all know. My door has always been open and I have always been honest with each and every one of you, even when the truth hurt. But any other way and I would not be a good Alpha to you. My level of committment knows no boundaries. I can even say that I am very committed to my opponent Quinton. Who I still look at as an honorable and good brother...eventhough...

LARRY thinks - Eventhough?

(BOBBY pauses.)

BOBBY - Eventhough he is dating my ex girlfriend.

LARRY thinks - What!

BOBBY - That is personal and this is business. This is brotherhood. I know that a lot of bros wouldn't be able to be cool with another frat brother, let alone a chapter brother that dates a girl that he used to be with. A girl that he cared deeply for. But being the committed brother that I am, I am able to put those kinds of feelings aside and move on with the business of the fraternity and this chapter.

LARRY thinks - I can't believe this nigga went there!

BOBBY - And lastly and most importantly my brothers, is brotherhood. Without the strong aspect of brotherhood, what is the point of us all being here? Huh? If anyone exemplifies the spirit of brotherhood any more than me, let him step up. I dare say that there is not. I have been there for each and every one of you and I will continue to if you allow me to serve as your president one more time. Don't do this for me, do it for yourselves. If you want a spectacular chapter to keep going along the road that we are on now, a positive road for Alpha, then re-elect me as your chapter president.

(BOBBY folds the papers up.)

BOBBY - Thank you.

(The brothers clap for BOBBY. As he walks to the door.)

BOBBY - You're up slugger.

QUINTON - Thanks.

(QUINTON walks in. BOBBY walks out.)

QUINTON - Good afternoon brothers.

ALPHAS - Good afternoon.

QUINTON - Brothers, the time has come. The time has come for all of us to check our watches and our clocks. To say to ourselves, it is time to step up.

(QUINTON places his hands in his pocket and starts to pace the floor.)

QUINTON - You are looking at a man, who used to look at Alpha Phi Alpha as the greatest organization of all time. A utopia if you will. I remember all the famous Alphas that had come. Dr. King, Thurgood, W. E. B. And I remember saying, wow, what a great group of men! Men of color! They are the best of the best! And then I remember the night I got the phone call that I had been selected to pledge. How unworthy was I to join the ranks of these great men! What an honor bestowed upon little old me! Then I remember the first person I extended the fraternal handshake to when I finally became a brother. It was the brother who now stands in the hallway. What an honor to finally be greeted as a brother by none other than the chapter president himself!

(QUINTON looks out the window as he pauses.)

QUINTON - I took to the campus by storm. As an Alpha! I couldn't wait for the first meeting, the meeting of my utopia.

(QUINTON turns back around and faces the brothers.)

QUINTON - And you know what I found out bros? I found out that this is not a utopia. It is not heaven. It is a group of individuals with different personalities, different viewpoints, different ideas. And sometimes those differences cause us to argue, separate, and sometimes not work together for the greater good. And guess what happened then...

(QUINTON pauses and takes his hands out of his pockets.)

QUINTON...it was then that I got excited. Because it was then and only then that I saw the real potential of this chapter! As great as this chapter is, and as great as this fraternity is...my challenge is that we can be better. We can be a lot better. When I thought about all of you brothers with great ideas, great vision and great energy, I thought about the great programs that you pulled off as a chapter last year. We can do more.

(pause)

QUINTON - When I thought about all of the community service that was done last year...I know that we can do more.

(pause)

QUINTON - When I thought about the lives that were touched in a positive way last year...we can touch more.

(pause)

QUINTON - When I think about Nino...

(pause)

QUINTON - When I think about Nino. I know what he would say if he were here. He would say..."Stop shammin' bros and do the steps right!"

(All the brothers laugh.)

QUINTON - But why would Nino say that? Why? He would say that because he knew that as a step team, we had potential. We were good, but we were not great. We were tight but we were not terrific. We were on point, but we were not outstanding. He knew that he could bring that greatness out of us because we had the potential. And that is how I see this chapter. With my vision, coupled with your vision, we can...we will be...outstanding!

(silence)

QUINTON - Thank you.

(The Alphas clap for QUINTON and upon hearing that, he smiles and walks out.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our scenes change and we are at Amgis College. In BUCK's dorm room.

(The telephone rings.)

BUCK - What's up?

RECEPTIONIST - This is the front desk. You have a visitor that you have to come down and sign in.

BUCK - Ok I will be right down.

(BUCK hangs up and grabs his Amgis basketball shirt.)

BUCK thinks - Damn, she got here quick.

(BUCK takes the stairs down and sees JUNE waiting for him.)

BUCK - Hey.

JUNE - Hi.

(BUCK smiles as he signs her in and they give their student id's.)

BUCK - You got here quick.

JUNE - Yeah, there wasn't any traffic at all. And I left right after I spoke to you.

BUCK - Ok cool. So what's going on?

JUNE - Nothing much. How are you?

BUCK - Good. Just chilling out.

(They go into BUCK's room.)

BUCK - I called for the pizza already so it should be here soon.

JUNE - Good because I am very hungry.

(JUNE puts her AKA bag down and sits down.)

June - Did you get the video?

BUCK - Yeah I got Kings of Comedy. That shit is mad funny!

JUNE - Good.

BUCK - But I guess we can wait until the pizza gets here. That way we won't have to stop it in the middle to pay the delivery guy downstairs.

JUNE - Good idea.

(silence)

BUCK - You look real nice.

JUNE smiling - Thanks.

BUCK - But that is no surprise, you always look nice.

JUNE - Flattery gets you everywhere.

(They laugh.)

BUCK - So..what did you think of the game?

(JUNE turns away smiling.)

BUCK - Come on, be honest.

JUNE - Well I am sorry that you lost.

BUCK - No you aren't! Stop lying!

(BUCK playfully throws a pillow at JUNE.)

BUCK - You know you are happy that Ahpla won that game! Ha ha ha ha.

JUNE - Ok I can't lie, I am an Ahpla girl at heart. But I did feel bad for you honey.

BUCK - Liar.

(They both laugh.)

BUCK - I mean, you win some you lose some. That is the name of the game.

JUNE - I guess. You are a pretty fair loser then.

BUCK - Oh definitely, I am not a sore loser at all. I just love the game of basketball. Ya know? I just want to play. If we win, then it is all good. If we lose, then we work harder so that we win next time. That is how I am.

JUNE - Nice philosophy.

BUCK - I'm not like Derrick.

JUNE - Huh?

BUCK - I said that I am not like Derrick.

JUNE - What do you mean?

BUCK - Well...oh never mind.

JUNE - No what? You brought it up, what are you talking about?

(silence)

BUCK - Well it's just that Derrick is a real sore loser. Don't get me wrong though, because his game is tight. Nobody can deny that. But he talks a lot of shit on the court.

JUNE - He does?

(The telephone rings.)

BUCK - That's probably the pizza, hold on.

(BUCK answers.)

BUCK - Ok I'll be right down.

(BUCK hangs up.)

BUCK - Yeah the pizza is downstairs. I'll be right back.

JUNE - How much is it?

(JUNE reaches for her bag.)

BUCK - Twelve dollars.

JUNE - Well here is six.

BUCK - Ok cool.

(BUCK runs out.)

JUNE thinks - Derrick talking trash on the court? That isn't like him at all. That is real weird. Maybe our break up affected him more than I thought, I thought he didn't care.

(BUCK comes back with a pizza box.)

JUNE - Oooh smells good.

BUCK - Yeah, looks good too.

(BUCK grabs two plates.)

JUNE - So what was this you were saying about Derrick?

BUCK - What?

JUNE - About Derrick talking trash on the court. That doesn't sound like him.

BUCK - Oh, he was saying some shit about me and you dating. So off the wall shit.

JUNE - But how did he know?

BUCK - I don't know. You know how fast gossip travels.

JUNE - Yeah, I guess. But what the hell does he care who I am seeing? He has a family now to raise.

BUCK - What?

JUNE - Yeah, Derrick has a baby.

BUCK - You are lying! Since when? And who is the mother?

CARYN - This is a phat restaurant fo sho!

LOWELL - Uh...yeah.

(DERRICK tries to speak over CARYN.)

DERRICK - Uh yes Mr. Dodge, I can't thank you enough for bringing us out to eat.

LOWELL - My pleasure. And please call me Lowell.

DERRICK - Yes sir. I mean, Lowell.

CARYN - Damn, I can't even pronounce everything on this here menu and shit! Ha ha ha!

(DERRICK hides his face behind his menu.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MIRI is in his room alone.

(He picks up the phone.)

GINA - Hello?

MIRI - Hey.

(silence)

GINA - Hi.

MIRI - How are you?

GINA - I'm fine, how are you?

MIRI - I'm ok.

GINA - To what do I owe the pleasure of this call?

MIRI - Just wanted to see how you were doing.

GINA - Is that all?

MIRI - I hate how well you know me.

GINA - No you don't.

(They laugh.)

MIRI - Actually, I did want to talk.

GINA - What's on your mind?

MIRI - Well it's about that play that I was working on. You know, my script.

GINA - Oh your slander?

(silence)

GINA - Just kidding. What about it?

MIRI - Well you know that I have been reading it over and over and now it just seems...

GINA - Slanderous?

MIRI - Yeah, slanderous.

GINA - What made you see the light?

MIRI - Can you keep a secret?

GINA - I sure can.

MIRI - I am trying to pledge.

GINA - What!

MIRI - Yep.

GINA - Which frat?

MIRI - You guess.

GINA - Ok...um...Alpha.

MIRI - Nope.

GINA - No? Ok um...Kappa?

MIRI - Two strikes.

GINA - I can't see you as an Omega.

MIRI - Me neither. Three strikes on you.

GINA - But wait, there are no Sigmas at Ahpla.

MIRI - And?

GINA - And you are trying to get a chapter started here?

MIRI - You guessed it.

GINA - Wow! Congrats and good luck with that.

MIRI - Thanks.

GINA - So because of that, you now see your writing differently?

MIRI - Oh definitely.

(MIRI's phone rings.)

MIRI - Hold on, I have another call.

GINA - Ok.

(MIRI clicks over.)

MIRI - Hello.

(silence)

MIRI - Hello? Hello?

(click)

(MIRI clicks back over.)

GINA - Who was it?

MIRI - I don't know, they didn't say anything.

GINA - Maybe it was a wrong number.

MIRI - Yeah.

GINA - So what were you saying?

MIRI - Oh yeah. I was reading over the script and now that I am pursuing a fraternity, there is no way I can put this out. Like, remember the part of the script when I talk about each fraternity individually?

GINA - Oh yeah, that part was messed up.

MIRI - Do you remember what I was saying about Phi Beta Sigma?

GINA - I don't remember in particular but I remember that part of the story being real foul.

MIRI - Foul is putting it nicely.

(They laugh as MIRI's phone rings again.)

MIRI - Hold on again.

GINA - Ok.

(MIRI clicks over.)

MIRI - Hello.

(silence)

MIRI - Hello! Hello! Mona?

(click)

MIRI - Dammit!

GINA - What?

MIRI - Somebody keeps calling here and not saying anything.

GINA - Oh drama!

MIRI - I'm gonna get caller id in a minute.

GINA - Ha ha ha ha.

MIRI - Hey, did you go to the big basketball game?

GINA - The Amgis game?

MIRI - Yeah.

GINA - Yeah I was there.

MIRI - Did you go to Pharoah's after the game?

(The telephone rings.)

MIRI - Damn! Hold on.

(MIRI clicks over.)

MIRI - Hello!

(silence)

MIRI - Who the hell is this!

HAYDEN - Get your ass outside in thirty seconds! It's time!

No comments: