Episode 35

We begin this week's episode with DERRICK, CARYN and LOWELL DODGE of the Portland Trailblazers basketball organization. They are meeting at a restaurant and discussing the possibilities of DERRICK playing for Portland.

DERRICK thinks - Oh my God! Caryn is going to ruin this night for me!

(CARYN orders another glass of white wine.)

LOWELL - So Caryn, what are you studying in school?

CARYN - My major is computer information systems.

LOWELL - Really? That is interesting. What do you plan to do with that once you graduate?

CARYN - Fix computers. I figure, everyone has a computer. You almost can't live without one. So if they break down, whoever knows how to fix them is going to be paid! Ya know?

DERRICK thinks - Oh God!

(COACH EDWARDS walks up.)

LOWELL - Hey Coach, pull up a chair.

COACH EDWARDS - Don't mind if I do. Did you guys order already?

LOWELL - Not yet. We were just getting better acquainted.

COACH EDWARDS - Great. How are you Caryn? The cheerleaders really miss you.

CARYN - I am fine Coach. Just busy running behind Little Derrick.

COACH EDWARDS - He must be a handful.

(The waiter comes over and they order.)

CARYN - I hope that what I ordered is good! I could barely say it! I know the waiter was laughing at me! Hee hee.

LOWELL - Don't worry, you did fine with the pronounciation. And that dish is wonderful.

(CARYN smiles. DERRICK forces a smile.)

LOWELL - So Derrick, have you ever truly considered a career in professional athletics?

DERRICK - Yes sir, I have all my life. I grew up with a basketball. I used to take it everywhere I went. From when I was a little boy. I used to cry when my mother made me leave it in the car when we went to church.

(CARYN bursts out laughing.)

CARYN - Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

(Everyone looks at CARYN.)

CARYN - Ha ha...ha...ahem.

DERRICK - So I developed very keen hand eye coordination and handle skills with the basketball. Just by carrying it around so much.

LOWELL - Did your parents see that potential in you early?

(silence)

DERRICK - My mother did. My father wasn't there for me growing up.

LOWELL - Oh I am sorry to hear that.

DERRICK - I'm not. I don't care for him too much.

LOWELL - Does he know about your promising future in basketball?

DERRICK - Honestly, I have no idea. When he left, he turned his back on his family. My mother and me. I don't care if he knows, I want nothing to do with him

LOWELL - I understand how you feel.

CARYN - That's right baby!

(CARYN rubs the back of DERRICK's head. DERRICK takes her arm down.)

LOWELL - Let me change the subject. Derrick, I have some clippings of your high school playing days.

(LOWELL pulls out a notebook.)

DERRICK - Wow, you have done your homework huh?

CARYN - Of course baby! They aint gonna offer you a million dollar contract if they aint sure they gettin' their moneys worth! Hee hee!

DERRICK - Caryn!

LOWELL - In a sense, she is right. We do an extensive background check on all prospects for the league. Now I have some of your better high school games here on file. You had your best games against...let's see. You scored forty points against Indian River high school, you scored thirty five points and had six blocks against Marsden Tech high school and you lit Bridge Canyon high school up for fifty points. You scored more than half the points of the total team that night.

(DERRICK smiles.)

LOWELL - So my question is...if you were this good in high school, all American athlete, why did you choose to go to Ahpla University and not a powerhouse basketball school like Duke, Kansas or Kentucky? No offense Coach.

(LOWELL smiles, COACH EDWARDS smiles back.)

COACH EDWARDS - None taken, but just for the record, we can beat Duke.

(Everyone laughs.)

DERRICK - Well sir, I mean Lowell, I am almost embarrassed to say. But I followed a girl to Ahpla. I was dating a nice young lady and she was very intent on going to Ahpla. So I followed. I thought that I would not be able to live without her. That is why I am here.

CARYN - Ha! And you aint even with her now! Ha ha! Where is she now?

DERRICK thinks - I wish June were here right now! At least she wouldn't embarras the hell out of me!

JUNE - That cheerleader Caryn is Derrick's girlfriend now. She had a baby that everyone on campus thought was Derrick's. Come to find out, it was Bobby's. That is why I broke up with Derrick.

BUCK - Oh God! That is crazy! But wait, if it wasn't his baby, then why did you break up with him?

JUNE - He didn't get her pregnant, but he did sleep with her. He thought it was his kid until they did a test. So he cheated.

BUCK - Oh.

JUNE - Plus, he messed with one of my big sisters while I was on line.

BUCK - What! D is off the hook!

(JUNE looks sad.)

BUCK - Oh I am sorry June. I didn't mean to make fun. I know that that was probably a hard time for you. I am sorry.

JUNE - It just shocked me that he could do something like that. Derrick and I had serious history and things just fell apart when I wanted to pledge.

BUCK - Wow, I see.

(silence)

BUCK - Well just know that I would never stand in the way of something that you really wanted. I don't know a lot about pledging and greeks and stuff. But I have to respect it. They do good services in the community. So eventhough I don't know a lot about it, I would never stand in your way.

JUNE - Thank you. Maybe I should have been dating you back then.

BUCK - Ha ha ha ha, maybe. It's funny, I don't even know any AKAs.

JUNE - Really. Wow that is strange because they do have sorors here at Amgis.

BUCK - Yeah.

JUNE - Let me go to the bathroom. I have to admit that some of the things that we talked about are kinda soft spots for me and I need a tissue.

BUCK - Oh by all means. Don't apologize. Go take care of yourself.

(JUNE stands up to walk to the bathroom. BUCK stands up and hugs her.)

BUCK - I am sorry that you had to rehash some old feelings. I hope you feel better ok?

JUNE - K.

(JUNE walks into the bathroom and closes he door. BUCK smiles as he hears the water begin to run. He quickly picks the phone up and dials.)

MONA - Hello?

BUCK - Hey what's up. It's working fine.

MONA - Great! One down, two to go!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We change scenes and find KATRICE and JAHANNA talking on the yard about Alpha Kappa Alpha.

KATRICE - Nice day huh?

JAHANNA - Yes it is. It is beautiful out here.

KATRICE - Yeah, this spring weather is the bomb I swear. But anyway, I know you didn't want to meet up with me to discuss the forecast.

(JAHANNA giggles.)

JAHANNA - No I didn't. I wanted to talk about your sorority.

KATRICE - Sure.

JAHANNA - I want to express my interest to you officially and find out all that I can about you in hopes to showing myself worthy to one day be a part of the sorority.

KATRICE - Wow, that sounded rehearsed.

JAHANNA - Oh I didn't mean to...

KATRICE - I was just kidding. Ha ha ha ha, so what do you want to know about me?

JAHANNA - Well why did you want to become and AKA?

KATRICE - Well for me it was the service. I have always loved my community and wanted to serve it. This affords me a wonderful opportunity to do just that. I try to reach as many in the community as I can through our community service projects.

JAHANNA - That is wonderful.

KATRICE - But deeper than that, because there are other sororities that do community service as well. But for me, the only way to go was specifically AKA. I just saw women of Alpha Kappa Alpha on a different level. Leaders, in aspects. Continually forging ahead and making a better name for us as individuals and us as an organization. It's a wonderful legacy.

JAHANNA - Yes, I believe that as well.

KATRICE - Well, the important question is, why do you want to become an AKA?

JAHANNA - I have been influenced by...

(They hear a loud call from across the yard.)

PJ - Skeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

(KATRICE and JAHANNA turn around. KATRICE raises her pinky.)

KATRICE - Skeeeeeeeeeeeee Weeeeeeeeeee!

JAHANNA thinks - Oh shit!

(PJ walks up and hugs KATRICE.)

PJ - Hey line sister.

KATRICE - What's up Presjina.

PJ - Nothing much, just enjoying this sunshine.

JAHANNA thinks - Why is Katrice speaking to this skater?

PJ - How are you Jahanna?

JAHANNA - I'm alright, I guess.

PJ - Getting some quality time with my sands huh?

JAHANNA - Uh...yeah.

PJ - When you gonna spend some time with me? I know you met with June already and now Katrice. You think you just get my vote because we are cool? You didn't plan on visiting me?

(JAHANNA looks at KATRICE who is giggling.)

PJ - Answer me. You didn't plan on coming to see me huh? You just figured you would slide right by me huh?

JAHANNA - Well I...I...

PJ - What? Huh? You're lying..cuz you're stuttering! Stuttering...stu...stu...stu...stuttering!

(KATRICE laughs.)

KATRICE - PJ you are stupid!

PJ - So what's the word Jahanna? Huh? Huh?

JAHANNA - Well I thought...I mean I was told...I mean I thought that I was supposed to...avoid...you.

(silence)

PJ - What?

JAHANNA - I was told to avoid you.

PJ - Avoid me? Why?

JAHANNA - Because you...skated.

(KATRICE and PJ look at each other, then back at JAHANNA.)

PJ - What! Who told you that?

JAHANNA - Well I don't want to get anyone in trouble...

PJ - Girl if you don't tell me who told you that, you are gonna be in more trouble than you could even think! Now who told you?

JAHANNA - It was June who told me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We rejoin the Alphas in the meeting as they vote for the new chapter president.

DONTE - Brothers, you have heard both candidates for president. You have had a chance to weigh what they both have said. Now we can discuss each man and their qualities for this position. Anyone can start, just raise your hand and you will be recognized.

(LARRY raises his hand.)

DONTE - Larry, go ahead.

LARRY - I think that Bobby did a good job as president last year, but it is clear that my line brother Quinton is the better choice.

REGGIE - What makes you say that it is clear?

LARRY - Huh? Come on bruh, you have to see that Quinton is the better choice.

REGGIE - That is your opinion Larry and you are entitled to it. But don't make it sound like Quinton is the obvious choice of the chapter. You only speak for yourself.

LARRY - Even in speaking for myself, I mean, what was that about Bobby mentioning Quinton's girl? What was that about?

JASON - I guess politics is a dirty business.

WIL - I don't think it is dirty at all. Bobby is trying to show the character of his opponent. I think that he is saying that there are certain things that he wouldn't do to another brother, and that is showing his character as an Alpha. That all ties in to him wanting to be our leader again.

LARRY - What! Are we talking about the same Bobby?

DONTE - Watch yourself neo.

LARRY - You watch yourself grandpa! But bros, are we talking about the same Bobby?

WIL - I don't think you need to go into accuasations on Bobby's character if that is what you are gonna do.

JASON - Why the hell not? Bobby did it to Quinton.

REGGIE - Good point.

LARRY - Hell yeah. My thing is this, I can't even believe we are debating a character issue between Bobby and Quinton. Are yall serious?

REGGIE - But this isn't about who is the better person. We all have probably done some fucked up shit. This is about who can lead this chapter better.

LARRY - And who do you think that is dean?

REGGIE - Who I think it is is none of your business. That is why we have secret ballots.

LARRY - Yall niggas are trippin'. Yall know good and well that Quinton is probably the brightest cat up in here and the one with the most energy, the most zeal, the most determination...

WIL - And the least regard for a brother's ex girlfriend.

JASON - What the fuck does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

DONTE - Alright alright, calm down.

JASON - But really though, what does Quinton's relationship have to do with this?

WIL - Like we said earlier, it has to do with the character of the individual. I know I wouldn't date a brother's ex girl.

LARRY - Nigga, I don't think you would date anybody! I aint never seen your ass with no girl, I was about to start to question your ass.

WIL - You saw me with your mama!

LARRY - Then you the fool because she used to be a man!

DONTE - Bros! Bros! Stop this silly shit and let's get down to business.

JERRELL thinks - This shit is comical!

(JERRELL raises his hand.)

DONTE - I am recognizing the visiting brother.

JERRELL - Thank you frat. I think that if all this talk about character is coming into play with the negative connotations, then maybe yall should just put it all out there about both candidates. If it is ok for one brother's business to be out there, let it all be out. At least then, yall can make an objective decision. That is kinda how we do it at my chapter.

LARRY - Aight cool, I agree. So let's hear some shit about Bobby.

DONTE - I don't know if...

LARRY - He cheated on this so called girl that he is so upset about Quinton being with...

DONTE - Larry...

LARRY - He got a kid now that he doesn't even take care of...

DONTE - Larry!

LARRY - And he was on line for two weeks for Omega Psi Phi with Ronnie!

No comments: