Episode 38

MAXINE is on the phone with her father.

MAX - Daddy, can we talk?

MR. SVENSON - Sure honey, where are you?

MAX - I am on campus.

MR. SVENSON - Is everything alright?

MAX - Oh yeah. I'm cool daddy. I just want to talk.

MR. SVENSON - What's on your mind?

MAX - Well...it's about our conversation earlier.

(silence)

MAX - Daddy?

MR. SVENSON - I'm here, I'm listening.

MAX - That is what I want to talk to you about daddy. You keep listening, but you won't say anything.

MR. SVENSON - I am supposed to say something?

MAX - Well...yes...I guess.

MR. SVENSON - What am I supposed to say?

MAX - Something!

MR. SVENSON - What would you say Maxine?

MAX - Huh?

MR. SVENSON - What would you say if your daughter turned on you like you are turning on me?

MAX - Turning on you?

MR. SVENSON - Yes, what would you say?

MAX - Daddy I am not turning on you.

MR. SVENSON - Really, well what do you call it?

MAX - I call it...I call it getting a job. Why is it such a big deal to you?

MR. SVENSON - Max, you are not just taking any job. You are going to work for my competition. We are both going to be bidding for the same jobs. You have created a serious conflict of interest.

MAX - Daddy, there are enough jobs for both companies. There are plenty of jobs to go around.

MR. SVENSON - Oh you think so? Miss haven't graduated yet.

(silence)

MR. SVENSON - Let me tell you the real deal Maxine. I have done nothing but build this company from the ground up Build it! And why? So I could have something for me and your mother and for you! For my family!

MAX - That's good daddy but...

MR. SVENSON -Don't cut me off! I built this company for you! I send you to prestigious Ahpla University, where you said you wanted to go! I never forced you to go there, nor did I ever force you to enroll as an architecture student. You chose that for yourself. I was so happy! So happy for you and for us!

(silence)

MR. SVENSON - I put you through school, I support your every move. And then what do you do? What do you do to repay me? You go and work for Tandy International. My largest competitor. Every time you take a job for them, that is money directly out of my pocket. Do you realize that? That is food off of our table!

MAX - What? Daddy, don't put a guilt trip on me!

MR. SVENSON - And you watch your tone!

(silence)

MR. SVENSON - I can't believe you would do this to me!

MAX - Daddy, like I said...there are loads of jobs. Hundreds of jobs that we can both compete on.

MR. SVENSON - Max, you are my only child. I have dreamed of putting my child through school and passing on my dream, my vision, my company along to him.

MAX - Sorry daddy, but you didn't get a him. You got a girl.

(silence)

MAX - You still there dad?

MR. SVENSON - Yes.

(silence)

MAX - Why you get so quiet? You act like you didn't want a little girl but a boy.

(silence)

MAX - Daddy?

MR. SVENSON - Why do you think I named you Max?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DERRICK has just come home from his Portland Trailblazer tryouts. There, he found out that LOWELL DODGE is his father.

DERRICK thinks - Dammit! Dammit! Dammit!

(DERRICK sits on his bed and holds his head.)

DERRICK - I can't believe this is happening to me!

(DERRICK contemplates calling JUNE back over BUCK's house.)

DERRICK - Damn, where is June when I really need her?

(There is a knock on the door. DERRICK jumps up and wipes the tears from his face.)

CARYN - What the hell is wrong with you?

DERRICK thinks - Oh God!

(CARYN comes in carrying the baby.)

CARYN - What is the matter with you? Have you lost your damn mind?

DERRICK - Caryn...not now okay?

CARYN - No, right now! I cannot believe you walked out on the NBA tryout! Are you crazy? Do you want to throw your life away? Huh?

(The baby starts to cry.)

DERRICK - Lower your voice, you are scaring the baby.

CARYN - Look Derrick, I know that Lowell being your dad must have upset you.

DERRICK - Upset me? Caryn you have no idea! You have no damn idea! This man walked out on me and my mother! Do you know how hard it was for me and my mother? Huh? Do you?

CARYN - Yeah, I know! You keep reminding me! That is all that you ever talk about!

DERRICK - Well maybe because that is all that I ever feel! This man abandoned me! A long time ago! If I wasn't a basketball player, do you think he would be back in my life right now? Huh? Do you think he would give a shit about me if it weren't for the fact that I got skill?

CARYN - Maybe.

DERRICK - Bullshit!

(CARYN has rocked the baby and he has stopped crying.)

DERRICK - If I was not a star basketball player, he wouldn't care about me! Just like he didn't care about me years ago!

(silence)

DERRICK - But you wouldn't know anything about that!

CARYN - I wouldn't know anything about what? Being a parent? Is that what you are saying?

DERRICK thinks - Oh God, I hope I didn't get her ass started!

DERRICK - Caryn, don't change the subject please. The bottom line is, I hate my fath...Lowell Dodge! And I want nothing to do with him. And if the Portland Trailblazers have something to do with him, then I want nothing to do with them either.

CARYN - I thought you wanted a better life for Lil Derrick and me!

DERRICK - I do! What? If I don't put the ball in the basket I can't provide?

CARYN - No, no you can't! Not the way that we talked about! What you want to do? Get a nine to five and get me a Lexus? Work at McDonalds and get me a diamond? That aint gonna work!

DERRICK - So this aint got nothing to do with me? This has all to do with you.

CARYN - No, this has all to do with you! I want what is best for you! If you play a game and don't score twenty five, with ten rebounds and a few assists, then I am on your ass! Because I want you to be the best for you!

(DERRICK turns around and sits back on the bed.)

DERRICK - You don't want what is best for me. You want a damn Lexus.

CARYN - Is that what you think about me? That I am a groupie? A gold digger?

(silence)

DERRICK thinks - I wish June would call me!

DERRICK - How many times have we had this conversation of what I think about you? I told you that I don't...

CARYN - Forget it! Throw your life away! I don't care! Tell the Trailblazers no! Tell me no! Tell Lil Derrick no!

DERRICK - Caryn...

(CARYN turns and tries to open the door and not drop the baby.)

DERRICK - Caryn!

(CARYN walks out and tries to slam the door but can't.)

DERRICK thinks - Shit!

(CARYN picks up her cell phone.)

BOBBY - Hello, Mr. President here.

CARYN - I am coming over.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We rejoin JUNE who is at BUCK's place at Amgis College.

BUCK - Did you talk to Derrick?

JUNE - Uh...yeah I did.

BUCK - Is everything okay with him? He sounded weird.

JUNE - He is cool.

(silence)

BUCK - What's the matter?

JUNE - Nothing, I think I should get ready to go.

BUCK - Why? I thought you were staying over.

JUNE - I was, but...

BUCK - But Derrick huh?

(JUNE grabs her bag.)

BUCK - June, I thought you were over him. I thought you said that you and I had a good thing going.

JUNE - We di...I mean we do Buck. I just need some time to think things out.

BUCK - Well wait. Wait a minute.

(BUCK sits down, JUNE sits down too.)

BUCK - What did he say to you?

(silence)

BUCK - Come on June, be fair. If he was talking about me, it is only right that I know. What did he say?

JUNE - He said...

(silence)

JUNE - He warned me about you and...my line sister Mona.

BUCK - Who?

JUNE - My line sister Mona. She is a real trouble maker.

BUCK - June, I don't even know your line sister. I told you that I don't know any AKAs.

(BUCK's cell phone rings.)

BUCK - Derrick is just jealous and he wants to use anything for us to not get together. That is why he is telling you this. First he didn't want you to pledge AKA, then he tries to use AKA to break us up! You gotta believe me!

(The cell phone rings again. JUNE hands BUCK his cell phone from beside her on the couch. She looks at the display as she passes it to him.)

JUNE - It's that AKA that you don't know.

BUCK - Huh?

(BUCK looks at the cell phone display.)

BUCK thinks - Shit!

(JUNE stands up.)

BUCK - June wait! I can explain!

(JUNE answers the phone and hands it to BUCK.)

BUCK - Uh...um...hello. What!

MONA - Abort the plan!

BUCK - What?

MONA - Abort the mission!

(JUNE gets ready to walk out.)

BUCK - No June wait...Mona what are you talking about? What mission?

(BUCK blocks the door.)

MONA - June? That is my point! Forget the three of them, June, PJ and Katrice! I have bigger fish to fry now! I want you to get a girl named...

(silence)

MONA - Jahanna!

(BUCK hangs up on MONA.)

JUNE - Alright Buck, cut the bullshit! I want the truth, and I want it right now!

No comments: