Episode 36

We begin this week's episode with DERRICK who is being thoroughly embarassed by CARYN in front of LOWELL DODGE, the representative of the Portland Traiblazers.

DERRICK thinks - I am going to kill this girl!

LOWELL - I can understand your reasons for coming to Ahpla Derrick. So you followed your heart and that led you to Ahpla University and to Coach Edwards here huh?

DERRICK - Yes sir.

LOWELL - And I take if from what Caryn is saying that you are not dating the young lady that you were with when you came here?

DERRICK - That is correct.

CARYN - Fo sho!

(silence)

DERRICK - Caryn, maybe we should call the baby sitter.

CARYN - Ooooh, you're right! Let me see your cell.

DERRICK - Uh...I didn't bring it. Come on, I will walk you to the pay phone.

CARYN - Alright then.

DERRICK - If you will excuse us?

LOWELL - Certainly.

(DERRICK and CARYN get up from the table, CARYN returns briefly to take another sip of her glass of wine. They arrive at the payphone and CARYN picks up the receiver. DERRICK grabs the phone from her and slams it down.)

CARYN - What are you doing?

DERRICK - What am I doing? What the hell are you doing? You are making a complete fool of yourself and embarrassing me! Do you know how serious this meeting is?

CARYN - What are you talking about?

DERRICK - Caryn, you are talking rudely, saying stupid things, and making yourself look...

CARYN - Ghetto? Is that it Derrick? I am making you look ghetto? I am bringing you down?

DERRICK - Caryn, lower your voice.

CARYN - No, I am not going to lower my voice!

DERRICK thinks - Oh shit!

CARYN - I am sorry if I aint Miss Bougie like June! And I may not know which damn fork to pick up next! But I am a person too and that should count for something!

DERRICK - Ok ok forget it! Let's talk about this later.

CARYN - No! Let's talk about this now!

(People are starting to look.)

DERRICK - Caryn are you crazy? This might be the biggest night of my life! If Mr. Dodge lets me go to training practice, I am as good as in the NBA! And I am doing all of this for you and for little Derrick.

CARYN - No Derrick, you are doing all of this without me!

(CARYN turns to leave.)

DERRICK - Hey wait! Where are you going?

CARYN - What do you care? Maybe I will go to the library and read up on proper etiquette and shit! I wouldn't want you hanging out with a hood rat like me!

DERRICK - I never said that!

(CARYN keeps walking out of the restaurant.)

DERRICK thinks - Dammit!

COACH EDWARDS - So Lowell, what do you think of Derrick overall?

LOWELL - He is a good kid with a very bright future. We would be foolish to pass up on such a talent.

COACH EDWARDS - That is wonderful!

LOWELL - We have some formalities that have to be discussed. There is obviously the issue of an agent, the draft, his signing bonus, and lots and lots of paperwork. But I have worked out a sweet deal for him.

COACH EDWARDS - Lowell, let me ask you. You and I go way back.

LOWELL - That's right Coach, we do.

COACH EDWARDS - I have never seen you go all out for a player the way that you are going out for Derrick. Do you see that much potential?

(silence)

LOWELL - There is something special about that young man.

COACH EDWARDS - That's it? I have a lot of special young men on my team. That is the only reason? There are special players all over the country that deserve a chance. Why Derrick?

LOWELL - Well coach...

(silence)

LOWELL - I'll go into the specifics later. Just understand that I have a serious vested interest in Derrick's success.

(DERRICK comes back to the table.)

LOWELL - Oh what happened to Caryn?

DERRICK - Oh she thought it would be best to check on the baby in person. Added to the fact that she wasn't feeling well.

LOWELL - Oh okay. Well please give her our best regards.

DERRICK - I will.

LOWELL - Derrick, I need to cut to the chase. I am not trying to waste your time nor mine. Here is the deal. Next week we have rookie camp for our organization. With Coach Edward's word of approval, we would like to enter you into that class. If you do well next week, then we need to discuss your future options immediately following your time here at Ahpla. How does that sound?

(DERRICK has a huge smile on his face as he turns to COACH EDWARDS. COACH just smiles and nods.)

DERRICK - That would be awesome Mr. Dod...I mean Lowell.

LOWELL - Great. Coach will give you all of the information as to where you need to be and when you need to be there. Just don't be nervous and do your best. I know you can do it and I am really counting on you.

DERRICK - I don't know what to say or how to thank you.

LOWELL - Just make my team. That is enough thanks.

DERRICK - Thanks! Thank you so much! Would you excuse me? I want to make a phone call and share this good news.

LOWELL - Certainly. Take your time.

(DERRICK gets up and jogs too the pay phone.)

DERRICK thinks - Yes! Yes! Thank you Jesus!

(DERRICK dials. JUNE's cell phone rings in her AKA bag.)

BUCK - Hello this is June's cell phone. June can't come to the phone right now, can I take a message for her?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We change scenes and find KATRICE and PJ who just found out from JAHANNA that JUNE told her that PJ was to be avoided.

JAHANNA - It was June who told me.

PJ - What?

KATRICE - Are you serious?

JAHANNA - Yes, that is what June said.

(PJ looks at KATRICE who looks back.)

PJ - Wait, let me get this straight. My line sister June told you that I skated up into AKA?

JAHANNA - Um...yes.

PJ - What were her exact words?

JAHANNA - Well she said that her line sister skated and to not talk to her. She said that she should be avoided because the things that she would tell me would probably send me along the wrong path and mess up my chances of ever becoming an AKA.

(PJ looks at KATRICE again who is looking baffled.)

KATRICE - I cannot believe that June would say those...hey wait a minute. Jahanna, did June ever say PJ's name?

JAHANNA - Well not exaclty, she just told me her line name. Paper Wait.

(PJ just drops her head. KATRICE starts to laugh very loud.)

PJ - Katrice, I am going to count to ten. Because if I don't, I swear I am going to grab this girl by her throat and...

KATRICE - Hey hey hey, we are not that type of organization.

PJ - You're right, thank you. So she told you that Paper Wait was to be avoided huh?

JAHANNA - Well...yeah.

PJ - And I am Paper Wait?

JAHANNA - Well...yeah, I saw you with that AKA jacket that had Paper Wait on the back.

(PJ looks at the sky and laughs. She rubs her forehead.)

PJ - Did it ever occur to you that you should research an organization before you become a part of it?

KATRICE - Uh oh.

PJ - What is Katrice's line name?

JAHANNA - I don't...uh...know.

PJ - I didn't think you knew! Why don't you know! You want to come up in my sorority and don't even know our information? Paper Wait is not my line name! That is Mona Ferguson's name!

JAHANNA - Mona? It is?

PJ - Yes it is! If anybody came up in this sorority the right way it was me!

KATRICE - You got that right!

JAHANNA - Oh my God! I am so sorry! Mona never told me that that was her name...but why did you...

PJ - Because I took her damn jacket, that's why! She doesn't deserve it so I took it!

KATRICE - But wait, you said that Mona never told you the truth. So you have spoken to Mona about AKA?

JAHANNA - Mona has made herself my mentor.

PJ - Oh God!

KATRICE - What did she tell you?

JAHANNA - I have met with Mona almost every week since yall crossed. She has given me lots and lots of information.

PJ - I am almost afraid to ask.

KATRICE - Like what kind of information.

JAHANNA - Well she told me what the symbols on your shield stood for.

(silence)

PJ - She told you what our shield stands for?

JAHANNA - Well yes. But I don't think she knew if what she was saying was right or not. She said that she had to look them up in some book and get back to me.

(PJ clinches her fists together.)

KATRICE - What else did she tell you?

JAHANNA - She told me that I needed to listen to her at all times if I wanted to become an AKA. She told me that she would probably be my dean. She told me that she had big plans for the chapter but she had to deal with all of you one at a time.

KATRICE - Deal with us? How?

JAHANNA - I don't know.

(PJ is getting madder.)

KATRICE - What else?

JAHANNA - She told me that if I did what she told me to do, I would be accepted into the chapter and be able to pledge.

(silence)

PJ - Ok, let me tell you what the hell is...

KATRICE - PJ, let me handle this.

(PJ gives KATRICE a look that she is not happy.)

KATRICE - Please PJ.

(PJ backs off.)

KATRICE - Look Jahanna, we had some serious problems with our process last year because of Mona. She didn't do a damn thing to get up into Alpha Kappa Alpha. That is why they called her Paper Wait. Because she might as well had signed a piece of paper for membership and she should have waited until never to become a member.

JAHANNA - Oh my gosh!

KATRICE - She has shown a total disrespect for our line, this chapter, this sorority and her own mother. She has told lie after lie after lie about us and she swears that she has it out for us. She is coniving and she has led you in the wrong way to AKA. If you listen to her, you will not become a member of this sorority.

PJ - Hell no!

JAHANNA - Oh my God I am so sorry! I didn't know!

PJ - The stupid leading the...

KATRICE - PJ stop! Jahanna, we need to sit down and talk more about this. I need to debrief you from some of the untruths and things that you shouldn't even know that Mona has told you. Call me tonight and we can talk okay?

(JAHANNA is looking very upset.)

JAHANNA - I just want to say that I am sorry. I had no idea. I thought that she was telling me the truth and I...PJ I have known you from freshman year and I should've...I am just sorry.

(PJ doesn't say anything. She is looking pissed.)

KATRICE - Jahanna, just be happy that we caught you and told you when we did. Believe me, if you had listened to her, you would not be making our line. Trust me on that.

JAHANNA - Mona jeopardized my chances at Alpha Kappa Alpha!

KATRICE - Yes she did.

JAHANNA - I don't believe this!

KATRICE - Jahanna, call me later.

JAHANNA - I will. Once again, I am sorry.

KATRICE - Good bye Jahanna.

JAHANNA - PJ I am sorry.

(PJ doesn't respond. She looks as if she wants to punch a wall.)

KATRICE - Good bye!

(JAHANNA gets the hint and turns to leave and walks away.)

JAHANNA thinks - I cannot believe this shit! Because of Mona's lying ass, I almost didn't make AKA! Alright! When I see her ass, it is on!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We resume with the meeting of the brothers of Alpha Phi Alpha as they decide on their next chapter president.

(JERRELL raises his hand.)

DONTE - I am recognizing the visiting brother.

JERRELL - Thank you frat. I think that if all this talk about character is coming into play with the negative connotations, then maybe yall should just put it all out there about both candidates. If it is ok for one brother's business to be out there, let it all be out. At least then, yall can make an objective decision. That is kinda how we do it at my chapter.

LARRY - Aight cool, I agree. So let's hear some shit about Bobby.

DONTE - I don't know if...

LARRY - He cheated on this so called girl that he is so upset about Quinton being with...

DONTE - Larry...

LARRY - He got a kid now that he doesn't even take care of...

DONTE - Larry!

LARRY - And he was on line for two weeks for Omega Psi Phi with Ronnie!

(silence)

JASON - What?

LARRY - Bruh, that nigga Bobby was on line for Que for two weeks and dropped! And then pledged Alpha!

JASON - Oh shit! Are you serious? Get the hell out of here!

LARRY - I bet yall didn't know that shit huh?

DONTE - Actually Larry, we did know.

LARRY - What! Then why did...

DONTE - Why did we let him on our line? Why don't you answer that Reggie.

REGGIE - He made line with me because nobody knew he had an interest in Omega. That information didn't come out until later.

LARRY - How did you guys not know? What were you all under some rocks when the Omega line came on the yard?

REGGIE - The Omega line didn't come on the yard. The fourteen days that he spent with them were underground. And he stopped with their process because he didn't feel it in his heart as he was going through. He has no disrespect for Omega, but he knew that it wasn't for him and if he had continued, he would have been lying to his brothers and more importantly to himself.

LARRY - So when did this information about him being on line come out?

REGGIE - While he was on line with me.

LARRY - What! He was a Sphinxman and bros found out that he had already been on line for someone else?

REGGIE - Yep.

LARRY - That must have been a bad night!

REGGIE - Yep!

(DONTE starts to laugh as he remembers.)

LARRY - So what happened?

REGGIE - Well obviously bros wanted to kick him off of our line and just pledge me by myself. But Bobby spoke to the brothers on behalf of himself and on behalf of me. And his words were so moving and so sincere, that bros came to a vote.

WIL - I remember that night.

TREY - Me too. It is hard to imagine if you weren't there. I mean, think about it. How much of convincing would you need from a pledgee who is trying to come up in the chapter after dropping line somewhere else for a different frat! For us to still vote him in says a lot of what we thought of his character and for him as a man.

DONTE - And a potential brother.

REGGIE - So the brothers voted. While they were discussing and voting, they left us in a room by ourselves. Initially I was mad at Bobby. I didn't know all the details of what was going on, just what the big brothers had chosen to tell me. But I made him tell me the rest. He broke down.

LARRY - Really?

REGGIE - It was at that point that I told Bobby that I had his back, no matter what went down. Even if bros had voted him off, I was prepared to walk with him. He is my brother, my line brother and my best friend. He is not perfect, but he came up in this chapter with a love for this frat and an intense work ethic for this chapter. And he has lead...and made us proud.

(silence)

LARRY - I need a drink!

REGGIE - I know it sounds crazy.

WIL - Why don't we all go to Pharoah's after this. I think we could use it.

DONTE - Good idea, I have never seen a race for an office within this chapter so close.

REGGIE - Both candidates are worthy, no doubt. I am torn, one is my line brother, and one is my son.

DONTE - But you can't vote that way. Don't vote for someone because he was on your line. Vote for the better good of the chapter. That is what we need to do.

REGGIE - You're right.

WIL - Yeah, Donte is right. I think we have heard enough. We all know both of these well deserving candidates. The good and the bad. I think that we are informed enough to make a decision. No hard feelings either way.

LARRY - No doubt.

DONTE - Ok so let's vote.

(The brothers vote.)

DONTE - Ok, I will get Bobby and Q.

(DONTE opens the door to the hall and asks BOBBY and QUINTON to come back into the room.)

DONTE - Let me say that this was the closest election that we have ever had. That is because both of you guys are very worthy and capable to run this chapter. And regardless of who we choose, know that both of you guys are what we consider to be true leaders.

QUINTON - Thank you.

BOBBY - Thanks.

DONTE - Alright. With that being said, it is my pleasure to announce the chapter president for the upcoming school year.

No comments: