Episode 30

We open this week's episode with a meeting between the Alphas. In attendance are BOBBY, JASON, QUINTON, LARRY, WIL and TREY.

BOBBY - Ok bros, next we need to discuss an idea that Reggie brought up to me. Unfortunately Reggie is not here at the moment. I know he had to meet with one of his professors today so he said he should be getting here a little late. But we can discuss it nonetheless. Basically, he is suggesting that the chapter set up some type of scholarship fund in Nino's name.
JASON - Oh that is a great idea!
LARRY - Yeah, yeah it is!

BOBBY - I thought so too.
WIL - So what do we have to do to get things started?
BOBBY - We have to decide who the scholarship should go to. Like, it could go to whatever type of student we feel necessary to receive it. We could say that it goes to all students from New Orleans or something.
QUINTON - Yeah but you don't want to put it on something that trivial.
BOBBY - Well what is a better idea Quinton?
QUINTON - Well what we need to do is decipher what types of characteristic traits we best associate with Nino and make that the criteria for the scholarship. I think it needs to be a combination of things that ultimately encompass many of the things that Nino was passionate about as well as helping us as a brotherhood cultivate these traits in some young men.
BOBBY - Huh?
QUINTON - In other words, each person trying to get the scholarship would have to perform a certain amount of hours of community service. Nino was always big on that. Each individual would have to compose an essay on a moral issue. The chapter decides the topic, and they must give their opinion on it. Nino was the most morally upstanding person I ever met.
LARRY - True! This sounds good.
QUINTON - Each participant would have to work with the chapter in our after school project for at least 3 sessions.
JASON - Oh with the little kids?
QUINTON - Yeah, help us teach them to step. That was Nino's passion. Then we decide as a chapter who the scholarship is awarded to.
TREY - That is phat! I love all of those ideas. Can we vote on that?
BOBBY - But what about money? How much do we give to the winner?
QUINTON - That can be discussed later. Right now, we need to vote on whether or not we are going to have this scholarship. Once that is decided, we can work out all the little individuals details such as the criteria and the amount.
LARRY - True.
BOBBY - Ok well then let's vote. All those in favor?

(Everyone raises their hand.)

BOBBY - Ok, looks like a plan. What do you guys think is a decent amount? We have a pretty large amount in the account right now.
QUINTON - We cannot base it on the amount that is in the bank now.
BOBBY - Why not?
QUINTON - Because most of that money came from us winning the step show. That is not a continous source of income. Especially with the team stepping minus Nino. We need to base this figure on money that we always will be secure to have.
BOBBY - So how much?
QUINTON - How about fifteen hundred?

(silence)

QUINTON - It is a sizable donation for a scholarship but look at who we are talking about. We can raise it if we had to at low financial times for the chapter and we can make it a mandate for new pledgees to work on. Plus it is only once a year.
LARRY - True.
JASON - I agree. We should be able to do this for Nino.

BOBBY - Sounds good to me. How do we go about starting this though.
QUINTON - Well there are a few ways that we can do it. But the most popular way is to set it up as a five oh one see three.
BOBBY - A what?
QUINTON - A non profit organization. That way, if people, corporations like Ahpla, or churches or something want to make a donation, it is tax deductible. They can write it off. That always makes things more attractive for people to want to send money in.
WIL - Yeah, I have heard of that.
QUINTON - It is easy to set up, you just fill out a form, get it approved by a few people, and take it to the bank to set up the account.
BOBBY - It's that simple huh?
QUINTON - Yep.
BOBBY - But we don't even know where to get the forms from.
QUINTON - Actually, you can get them from the administration building. They have everything in there.
BOBBY - Really?
QUINTON - Yep. This is also a good way to do it because of the nature of the fund.
BOBBY - The nature?
QUINTON - What I mean is, since it is a fund that will be giving away money, we need to set it up as non profit. What non profit means is that at the end of the fiscal year, we cannot show a profit. It isn't like a corporation. Our records have to read a zero balance at the end of the year. So this would be perfect because we would have given all of the money away.
BOBBY - That sounds good too.
QUINTON - We could ask for sponsorships, donations from the other greeks on campus. We can even go to Alpha nationals and get a donation. The more we make, the more we can donate.
BOBBY - So then fifteen hundred should not be hard at all to come up with.
QUINTON - Actually, it will be easy.
LARRY - So what is the first step?
BOBBY - Well we have to...
QUINTON - A proposal has to be written. It will serve as the legal binding document and official start of the scholarship fund.
BOBBY thinks - Damn, just cut me off!
BOBBY - I should write it because I am chapter president.

WIL - Well I think that Quinton should write it because he knows a lot about this subject matter.
TREY - Yeah and he can serve as the overseer of the fund for the first year.

QUINTON - It would be my pleasure.
BOBBY - Well ok. All those in favor of letting Quinton start it up?

(Everyone raises their hand except BOBBY.)

BOBBY - Ok Quinton has it.
WIL - Bobby, you didn't vote?
BOBBY - Oh...uh...I was counting hands. But yeah, I vote for Quinton too. Yeah. Quinton, can you have that ready for us in two weeks?

QUINTON - I'll have it next week.
LARRY - True!
BOBBY - Great. Ok, on to our last order of business. Elections.

(Everyone sits up in their chair.)

BOBBY - As you all know, it is time for us to nominate new officers for next year. Every chapter office is going to be open and available to anyone who seeks it. I will write the positions on the board here and we can start with nominations.

(BOBBY turns to the black board and writes.)

BOBBY - Ok obviously first is chapter president.
LARRY - Quinton for president!

(The brothers laugh, BOBBY doesn't.)

BOBBY - Damn bruh, can I finish writing it down?

(BOBBY writes it.)

BOBBY - Ok what are the nominations?
LARRY - Quinton for president!

(Everyone laughs again. BOBBY turns and writes QUINTON's name on the board.)

BOBBY - Anybody else?

(silence)

LARRY - Well there you have it!
BOBBY - Not so fast.
LARRY - Huh?
BOBBY - I have a nomination.

(BOBBY turns and writes as he is speaking.)

BOBBY - I am nominating myself for a second term.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We change scenes and find DERRICK who is in the locker room getting dressed for a basketball game with Amgis College. This is the biggest game of the year. COACH EDWARDS calls out to him.

COACH EDWARDS - Derrick, come in here. You got a call.
DERRICK thinks - A call?

(DERRICK puts his other sneaker on and jogs into the office.)

DERRICK thinks - I wonder who is calling me in the coach's office.

(COACH EDWARDS hands DERRICK the phone.)

COACH EDWARDS - Am I your secretary now?

(Some of DERRICK's teammates laugh.)

DERRICK - Sorry coach, I don't know who would call me here.
COACH EDWARDS - Well keep it short. I am about to address the team and we gotta go warm up.
DERRICK - Sure coach.

(DERRICK takes the phone and COACH EDWARDS leaves the office.)

DERRICK - Hello?
CARYN - Hi.
DERRICK - Hey Caryn, what's up?
CARYN - Sorry I am calling you in the office.
DERRICK - Oh it's ok. I didn't know you knew the number here.
CARYN - Are you kidding? Of course I know coach's number. Sometimes he lets the cheerleaders use his computer to go online. He is real nice.
DERRICK - Oh ok. Well what's up?
CARYN - I just wanted to call you and wish you a good game. I know this is the biggest game of the year.
DERRICK - Yeah, Amgis is here.
CARYN - I know and I hate that I am at home! I wish I could be there cheering.
DERRICK - But you know you need your rest.
CARYN - Oh I know. Little Derrick is sleeping now. He is so precious.
DERRICK - I know. He sure is.
CARYN - I want you to do something tonight.
DERRICK - What's that?
CARYN - I want you to think about little Derrick when you play tonight. I want him to inspire you.

(silence)

DERRICK - I will.

(CARYN smiles.)

CARYN - Ok Derrick, have a great game.
DERRICK - I will...now. Thanks Caryn.

(They hang up and DERRICK stares at the phone.)

DERRICK thinks - Wow!

(DERRICK walks back into the locker room and COACH EDWARDS is addressing the team.)

COACH EDWARDS - Alright guys, I don't have to tell you the importance of this game. You can already here the students screaming and the place is jam packed. This always happens when we play Amgis. But I don't want you to get caught up in the hoopla. Everyone on the floor has a job and they are supposed to be in a spot when the ball arrives. Don't miss your positions. Keep your eyes open.

(COACH EDWARDS leads the team in a prayer. He finishes the prayer and begins to get the team hyped up.)

COACH EDWARDS - Yall ready to win?
TEAM - Yeah!
COACH EDWARDS - Yall ready to win?
TEAM - Yeah!
COACH EDWARDS - Who are we?
TEAM - Ahpla!
COACH EDWARDS - And what do we do?
TEAM - We execute!

(The team captain takes over as the team starts to jog out onto the court. The fans start to scream and the announcer calls the team out. COACH EDWARDS grabs DERRICK's arm as he runs out.)

COACH EDWARDS - Derrick, let me have a quick word with you.
DERRICK - Yeah coach.
COACH EDWARDS - Derrick you know you are the best player that we have. The only reason that you are not captain of this team is your attitude. Not that you have a bad one, but you lose focus all the time.
DERRICK - Yeah.
COACH EDWARDS - But what I want you to be sure of...I want you to keep your focus tonight for a few reasons. Firstly, we are playing Amgis and you remember what happened when we played them at their school last time. You have to realize that they may be teasing you and trying to get into your head. Making you lose your focus. Keep your focus Derrick.
DERRICK - Ok.
COACH EDWARDS - More importantly, there is a gentleman here named Lowell Dodge. He is a representative from the Portland Trailblazers and he is coming to see you play.
DERRICK - He is?
DERRICK thinks - Oh shit!
COACH EDWARDS - If you keep your focus, I know you can impress him. Keep your focus. Keep your focus! Let's go!

(DERRICK jogs out onto the court and starts to warm up. The crowd is screaming and the band is playing.)

DERRICK thinks - Think about Little Derrick! Focus!

(As the game begins, the players shake hands with the Amgis players.)

BUCK - I hope you brought your best game tonight Derrick! Ha ha ha ha, are you gonna choke up and help us win again?
DERRICK - Don't get mad Buck because you can't check me!
BUCK - Whatever! You wish you had handle like me! You Ahpla niggas play like shit and you know it!
DERRICK thinks - I have to ignore this nigga before he fucks up my game! I have to stay focused!

(DERRICK looks around the auditorium to try and pick out a man with a suit or someone who looks like an NBA rep. The place is jam packed with students and everyone is jumping up and down and screaming. DERRICK cannot find anyone.)

REFEREE - Ok let's go! Jump ball!

(The whistle blows and the game starts. DERRICK grabs the ball. BUCK immediately runs over to guard him.)

BUCK - Alright D, let's see what you got!
DERRICK - Nigga, you can't handle what I got!
BUCK - Oh really?

(BUCK reaches for the ball but doesn't get it from DERRICK.)

BUCK - I am doing a good job of handling what you had! Me and my baby June may are hooking up again after the game!
DERRICK - What?

(BUCK steals the ball from DERRICK and runs down to slam it for the first two points of the game.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our scenes change and we find CANDACE who is on the yard. She is sitting at the Alpha plot where students have left lots of flowers and an enormous amount of cards. There are also several pictures of NINO and some Alpha paraphernalia. REGGIE approaches.

REGGIE - Hey.

(CANDACE looks up from the book that she is reading.)

CANDACE - Oh hi Reggie. I didn’t even notice you coming up.

(CANDACE stands up and gives REGGIE a hug.)

REGGIE - How you doing?
CANDACE - I’m ok. How are you?
REGGIE - Alright I guess. Saying that I have been better is an understatement.
CANDACE - Yeah. I know. I did finally start to sleep again though.
REGGIE - Oh really?
CANDACE - Yeah. Reggie I am just exhausted. I feel all cried out, all worn out. I have nothing else.

(They hug again.)

REGGIE - You don’t have to give anything else Candace. You have already given your entire soul to make sure that my line brother rests in peace. I thank you, his family thanks you and I know that he thanks you too.

(CANDACE sits back down on the grass. REGGIE sits next to her.)

REGGIE - What are you reading?
CANDACE - It is called yesterday I cried. It is by Iyanla Vanzant.
REGGIE - Oh really? Let me see?

(REGGIE reads the cover.)

REGGIE reads - Yesterday I cried, celebrating the lessons of living and loving.
REGGIE - Seems very timely.

CANDACE - Yeah it is good. Some of it I already know, deep down. But it is good to read. It is like having someone to talk to, ya know?
REGGIE - Yeah.
CANDACE - Because nowadays the everyday normal things are much more difficult for me to handle.
REGGIE - Really? Like what?
CANDACE - Like going to class, passing by places on this campus that Nino and I spent time together. Things like that.
REGGIE - Yeah, I go through some of that too. I remember when we stood on this very spot on line and had to do greetings for Bobby, Wil, Trey and Donte.
CANDACE - Oh yeah?
REGGIE - Oh definitely. I always forgot my greetings but Nino was so on point, he made a brother want to be on point too. Ha ha ha ha, sometimes my lazy ass wouldn’t want to be on line with him anymore because he kept making me look bad.

(They laugh together.)

CANDACE - I can see that happening.
REGGIE - But now…

(REGGIE looks away across the yard.)

REGGIE -…now those places that are so special. They remind me of Nino. These are places that I will always hold in my heart. Ya know? Like when I come here, I have fond memories of us together. Or when I go to the Alpha house or pass by Tandy Hall.

(silence)

REGGIE - So I guess it is more of an empowering thing for me. Moreso than a saddening thing. Yes it is hard, hard as hell. But I think that Nino would want for both of us, all of us to be secure in our moving. In our moving on.
CANDACE - What you are saying makes sense. It sounds good on paper. But that does nothing for the hurt. For the pain that I feel inside. For the emptiness. For the nights that I lay alone in my bed and turn over, wishing that somehow, someway, he will be laying next to me sleeping. That is a whole different world that you cannot imagine.
REGGIE - I see.
CANDACE - You lost a best friend. A line brother. There is probably no closer relationship between young men. Nino was your homie, like a real brother to you.

(silence)

CANDACE - But I lost a husband.

(CANDACE turns away. REGGIE grabs her hand.)

REGGIE - You’re right Candace. I really cannot imagine what this must feel like on your end. It isn’t comparable. But what I do know is that you have a huge support system. You have a lot of brothers as well as sisters on this campus that love Nino and love you. We got your back and will help you in any way that we can. All you have to do is say the word.

(CANDACE turns back to REGGIE with tears on her face.)

CANDACE - Thank you Reggie but…

(silence)

REGGIE - But what?
CANDACE - …the whole thing is starting to become overwhelming. I miss Nino every second of every day. I miss my family, I miss my line sisters and my chapter sorors.
REGGIE - So what are you saying?

(silence)

CANDACE - I think I need to leave Ahpla and go back home. Back to Southern.

No comments: