Episode 8

We begin this week’s episode with ALEXIS and QUINTON who are in the 24 / 7 diner.

ALEXIS - Your sands?

QUINTON - Yeah, June just crossed also.

ALEXIS - What do you mean also? You’re greek?

QUINTON - Can’t you tell?

ALEXIS - I had no idea.

ALEXIS thinks - Please don’t be an alpha! Please don’t be an alpha!

QUINTON - I’m an alpha.

ALEXIS thinks - Shit!

QUINTON - I just crossed, spring two thousand!

ALEXIS - Congratulations mister alpha man.

QUINTON smiling - Thanks! I thought I told you that.

ALEXIS - Nope.

ALEXIS thinks - Definitely not!

ALEXIS - Why aren’t you wearing a gang of para or something that says alpha.

QUINTON - I’m a little more laid back and subtle than that. Even with the excitement of just crossing.

ALEXIS - You aren’t like everyone else I guess.

QUINTON - What do you mean? Do you know any alphas at Ahpla?

(ALEXIS thinks)

BOBBY - If I would have known that you had cooked Alexis, I would have been here on time.

ALEXIS - Now the food is all cold!

BOBBY - I’m sorry baby, let me make it up to you.

ALEXIS - Why didn’t you call me back after I paged you?

BOBBY - My pager battery was dead so I didn’t know that you were calling me.

ALEXIS - I wanted you to come over.

BOBBY - I’m sorry baby, let me make it up to you.

ALEXIS - Where were you last night?

BOBBY - Oh I was at the alpha house late. We had a late meeting.

ALEXIS - Yall meet more than the united nations! I wanted to see you.

BOBBY - I’m sorry baby, let me make it up to you.

ALEXIS - You cheated on me with that bitch and got her pregnant! How could you do this to me?

BOBBY - I’m sorry baby, let me make it up to you.

ALEXIS - What do you take me for Bobby? A fool? I heard you talking to that bitch outside the door!

BOBBY - I’m sorry baby, let me make it up to you.

BOBBY - I’m sorry baby, let me make it up to you.

BOBBY - I’m sorry baby, let me make it up to you.

BOBBY - I’m sorry baby, let me make it up to you.

QUINTON - So do you know any of my frat brothers from Ahpla?

ALEXIS - Nope.

(While at BOBBY’s place...)

BOBBY - Alexis, please talk to me...I know you’re there...I’m not calling to ask your forgiveness because I haven’t forgiven myself for hurting you...I just wanted to tell you...well...

(Beep)

BOBBY - Shit.

(BOBBY dials ALEXIS again.)

BOBBY - Hey it’s me again...I just wanted to tell you that...I found out that Trina was lying...she isn’t pregnant at all. She was just saying that to get us to break up. This may not be a consellation prize but I am very relieved. I hope you are too...I just want to talk to you...let’s not end things...

(Beep)

BOBBY - Dammit! Forget it.

(BOBBY hangs up.)

BOBBY thinks - What am I gonna do?

(BOBBY walks across his bedroom and sits down at his desk. He picks up a picture of him and ALEXIS.)

BOBBY thinks - Damn.

(BOBBY places it back on his desk. He opens his top drawer and pulls out a picture of him and TRINA.)

BOBBY thinks - Bitch! When I see that bitch, I’m gonna...

(There is a knock on the door.)

(BOBBY puts the picture back in the top drawer under the clothes and goes to answer the door.)

BOBBY thinks - The last thing I want right now is some company.

(BOBBY opens the door and TRINA is standing there. They look at each other and don’t say a word as if they are both in shock.)

(silence)

BOBBY - Oh hell no!

(BOBBY goes to slam the door and TRINA sticks her foot in it and begins to bang her way in.)

TRINA - Hell no is right you bastard! You slept with my best friend!

BOBBY - What?

(TRINA pushes her way in and slams the door behind her.)

TRINA - You slept with Caryn! I hate you! I hate you!

(TRINA jumps on BOBBY and he falls backward onto the couch.)

BOBBY - What! Wait! Wait! Get the hell off me! What the fuck are you talking about?

(TRINA is trying to slap BOBBY but he keeps blocking his face.)

TRINA - I know you fucked Caryn you dog!

BOBBY - Well you told me you were pregnant and you weren’t you bitch!

TRINA - You bastard!

BOBBY - You ho!

TRINA - You piece of shit!

BOBBY - You slut!

(silence)

(BOBBY and TRINA start kissing furiously.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We rejoin WILLIE who just walked up on JASON in the cafeteria.

WILLIE - Hi boobie.

JASON thinks - Boobie?

JASON - Hey Willie, what’s up with you girl?

WILLIE - Nothing. You eating by yourself?

JASON - Yeah, something quick. You want to sit down?

WILLIE - Yeah,

(WILLIE sits down.)

WILLIE - I was here alone too.

(WILLIE smiles)

JASON - So what you been keeping yourself busy with lately?

WILLIE - Trying to keep everything on point in student government. You know how that can be.

JASON - Oh I know that’s right. Hey by the way, sorry I have missed the last few meetings. I was...uh...busy.

WILLIE - Say no more, I will not mark it down.

JASON - Hey thanks!

(THERESA comes out from the register with her tray of food.)

THERESA thinks - I hate it when it is crowded in here. Sheesh!

(THERESA stands and looks around for any empty seat.)

THERESA thinks - The one day I want some peace and quiet and I can’t find...hey, is that Willie sitting with Jason?

(THERESA ducks down and carries her tray to the nearest table. There are four girls sitting there talking.)

THERESA - Shhhhh, let me leave my tray here ok?

(The girls look at THERESA bending over like she is crazy. She slides her tray onto their table pushing theirs.)

GIRL - Hey!

(THERESA doesn’t pay her any attention as she crouches and walks to a plant right next to where WILLIE and JASON are sitting. She sneaks up close behind the plant to where she can hear what they are talking about.)

WILLIE - So how does it feel to be an alpha man finally?

JASON - Oh it’s better than I thought it would be! It feels great! I feel so connected to every brother that has ever pledged before me. You know what I mean?

THERESA thinks - Not that greek shit again!

WILLIE - I know exactly what you mean. You are bringing up real memories for me!

JASON - Really? How was it for you?

WILLIE - I have wanted to be a delta for a long time. I didn’t even make like my first year trying out. But I didn’t let that discourage me. That is why I was so happy to finally have it, I was more than overjoyed.

JASON - I feel the same.

WILLIE - I couldn’t wait to step out in new gear.

JASON - Oh that is definitely how I am! You see me now!

(JASON points to his Alpha shirt that he has on. WILLIE checks him out.)

WILLIE - And you wear it well, very well.

JASON smiling- Thanks.

THERESA thinks - Umm hmm.

WILLIE - It actually makes you look different.

JASON - Stop playing.

WILLIE - No, not in your look but in your confidence.

JASON - Really?

WILLIE - Most definitely. You are carrying yourself a whole lot different then you were this time last year. I wouldn’t have given you any play last year.

THERESA thinks - What kind of a line was that?

JASON - And this year?

WILLIE - Dont you have a...girl?

JASON - No I don’t. You know that. But you also know what’s up with me.

WILLIE - I know more than you will ever know. Just remember that things are not always as they seem.

THERESA thinks - What? So she wants to play huh? Cool, two can play at that game!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MONA is walking across the yard on her way to attending her first AKA meeting. She is singing to herself.

MONA - S...K...Double E...Double U...Double E...Skee Wee my sorors! Skeewee!

I heard some heavy stomping, I thought it was some men! But Lord I stand corrected, it was those elephants again! Hee hee hee.

(MONA hears her name called from nearby so she turns around.)

MIRI - Mona!

(MONA smiles as she changes direction and walks toward the Green Arts Center.)

MONA - Hey Miri! How you doing boo?

MIRI - Blessed and highly favored. How about you?

MONA - I’m good. What you doing sitting out here?

MIRI - Just thinking about some things.

MONA - Is something wrong?

MIRI - I just can’t seem to get any inspiration lately. It is hard to be a writer when you can’t write.

(MONA sits down.)

MONA - Well what usually inspires you?

MIRI - Simple things. Life, love, joy. I can almost write about anything. That has become the beauty of my talent, that I can write whenever I want. Most people have to sit down for hours, days or weeks to do a poem. I can whip out a verse in minutes.

MONA - So what is the problem now?

(MIRI looks away.)

MONA - Come on, you can tell me.

MIRI - I got embarrassed at Pharoah’s. A girl that I was seeing did a poem about me.

MONA - What? That’s not cool.

MIRI - Yeah it really wasn’t. She blasted me. I just left. I haven’t been back since.

MONA - Well there is your problem.

MIRI laughing - Where?

MONA - Fear. You are afraid to face your problem. You don’t want to go back to Pharoah’s.

MIRI - It’s not that at all.

MONA - Ok then, you diagnose it. What is it?

MIRI - Well...maybe you’re right.

MONA - Umm hmm.

MIRI - So how do I fix it doc?

MONA - You have to face each challenge head on. Don’t let it deter you, you deter it. I’m not saying go in there and blast this girl out with a poem, but fall back into that comfortable place that you know is good for you. Then write free.

(MIRI smiles at MONA.)

MIRI - You make it all seem so easy.

MONA - It can be.

MIRI - Yeah right.

MONA - Come on, I’m gonna help you do one right now.

MIRI - But weren’t you on your way somewhere? I don’t want to hold you up.

MONA - Oh it can wait. It was only a meeting, it isn’t even important. I can get there late.

The meeting begins...

SOROR BERGEN - Sorors, I am saddened that we have to start off the first meeting for the young sorors with the terms of my investigation, but such is life.

SYLVIA thinks - Yeah whatever.

(PJ leans over to APRIL)

PJ whispers - I am itching to start talking already.

APRIL whispers - You keep your big mouth shut before you get us in more trouble.

(PJ sits back)

SYLVIA - Soror Bergen, how does this work?

SOROR BERGEN - I had to go back through all the events that took place. I spoke to a few key sorors from this chapter on an individual basis and I have come up with my version of what I think took place. At this point, I will read off the events as they were recalled to me.

SYLVIA - Ok.

SOROR BERGEN - This investigation involves soror Mona Ferguson and whether or not she was unfairly treated in regards to her membership information into Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority incorporated.

(SOROR FERGUSON looks at the other Sorors in the room.)

SOROR FERGUSON thinks - I wonder where Mona is?

SOROR BERGEN - Soror Mona claims to have completed the full application packet and submitted it in a timely manner. She dropped of her materials at...

(SYLVIA begins to day dream about MONA.)

SYLVIA thinks - Oh shit! There goes Mona now!

(MONA is walking back to the dorm. It is late and the yard is pretty empty.)

SYLVIA thinks - Here is my chance!

(SYLVIA quickens her pace to a slow jog. She then picks up speed.)

MONA thinks - I’ll probably read both chapters before I go to sleep, that way I will be...Umph!

(MONA falls to the ground as someone has jumped on her from behind.)

MONA - Ouch! What the hell!

SYLVIA - Take this for disrespecting Alpha Kappa Alpha!

(SYLVIA punches MONA)

SYLVIA - And give me this damn jacket!

(SYLVIA snatches the jacket off as MONA is screaming for help.)

SOROR FERGUSON - Hey! What’s going on here!

(SYLVIA continues to punch on MONA. SOROR FERGUSON joins in.)

MONA - Mommy what are you doing?

SOROR FERGUSON - You have to pledge one way or another baby!

(SYLVIA and SOROR FERGUSON continue to punch MONA as she screams for help.)

SOROR BERGEN - Based on these fourteen allegations, this chapter is under grounds for suspension of no less than five years or until every member involved or on line graduates.

(SYLVIA wakes up.)

SYLVIA - Fourteen! Did she read off fourteen allegations?

MAX- Yeah, weren’t you listening?

SYLVIA - Oh shit! I can’t let this happen! I gotta do something!

MAX - I don’t think that there is anything we can do!

(PJ stands up.)

PJ - Soror Bergen, may I ask a question?

SOROR BERGEN - It usually is uncustomary for new members of the chapter to speak on behalf of the chapter which they no little about.

PJ - But I am a soror, and that I know a lot about.

SOROR BERGEN - So be it. What is your question Presjina?

PJ - Is this whole system set up like a court case where if the plaintiff doesn’t show up, the case is dropped? Because as I scan the room, I don’t even see soror Mona.

(Everyone is silent as they look at one another.)

SOROR BERGEN - Uh...I don’t know PJ. I guess if you consider that, it really is a good point.

(SYLVIA looks at MAX and ASHANTE. They are all smiling.)

SOROR BERGEN - A person cannot submit a charge if they are not present...I guess.

(PJ sits back down.)

SOROR BERGEN - But we must afford the allegating soror all opportunities to make her claim. We will give soror Mona fifteen minutes. If she is not here in fifteen minutes, these charges will all be dropped.

No comments: