Episode 18

We begin this week’s episode with BOBBY who has gone to ALEXIS’ house. He is standing in her walkway when the door opens and QUINTON walks out putting his jacket on.

GREGG is in his room alone, waiting for SHAREESA to return from the Toys for Tots program.

GREGG thinks - Shit! Shit! Shit!

(He paces the floor.)

GREGG thinks - Ok, I gotta have a plan! That shit looked mad ill and PJ’s wise ass thought it was funny! All she had to do was vouch for me and it would have been all good! Dammit!

(There is a knock on the door.)

GREGG thinks - The moment of truth.

(Gregg quickly runs to the bathroom to look in the mirror.)

GREGG thinks - At least I am still fine as hell!

(There is another knock.)

GREGG - Coming!

GREGG thinks - Ok G, do some major begging!

(GREGG takes a deep breath and opens the door.)

DOUG - Hello Gregg. My name is Doug and I am interested in finding out some information on Kappa Alp...

(Slam.)

GREGG thinks - What the fuck!

(GREGG starts to pace the floor again.)

GREGG thinks - Maybe if I admit to cheating once, that will show me as willing to tell the truth. Maybe I can get a few points that way and still be in.

(GREGG stops pacing.)

GREGG thinks - Hell no! What the hell am I thinking? Unless you got me on video, I aint admitting shit! Oh shit...speaking of which...

(GREGG runs into his bedroom.)

GREGG - Did that chick Caryn steal that video of us from under this floor panel someway? I will kick her...

(GREGG pulls up the floor panel and there is a video tape there.)

GREGG - Whew! Still here.

(GREGG replaces the floor panel and goes back into the living room.)

GREGG thinks - Ok, I gotta calm down now. This is how players get caught up. I need to just calm down and stick to the story. Maybe cry a little. But just be myself.

(There is a knock on the door. GREGG doesn’t move yet.)

GREGG thinks - This better not be some dude!

(GREGG gets up and goes to the door. He takes a deep breath and opens it.)

GREGG - Hey Reece.

(SHAREESA walks in without speaking.)

GREGG - Hi Shareesa.

(GREGG closes the door.)

SHAREESA - Hi.

GREGG - Um I’m glad you came over. We really need to talk about this boo.

SHAREESA - Gregg, we have nothing further to talk about. I just came here to get my stuff.

GREGG thinks - Oh shit!

GREGG - But Shareesa, I am telling you the truth! Nothing happened! It was just like I said, PJ fell first and then I fell! I am innocent!

(SHAREESA doesn’t say at word or even acknowledge GREGG. She is just collecting her things.)

GREGG - Shareesa!

(GREGG grabs SHAREESA’s arm and turns her around to face him.)

GREGG - Shareesa are you listening to me! I said that I am innocent! I didn’t do anything!

SHAREESA - Oh yeah? Oh yeah! You didn’t do anything huh? Well why the hell were you relieved when you found out that Bobby got that girl pregnant and not you? Huh!

(GREGG stops.)

SHAREESA - Yeah it aint your baby, but it could have been huh? Huh!

GREGG - What? Reece look, like I told you before...

SHAREESA - Save it! I am tired, sick and tired of men walking around holding their egos in their hands and sticking it in anything that spreads for them! You can keep your tired excuses and lame ass stories! This classy lady is out!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We pick up with DONTE and OCTAVIA who are headed to the step show in DONTE’s car.

DONTE - So how does the sorors’ show look?

OCTAVIA - It looks pretty good. How about your new boys?

DONTE - They do a good show. Hopefully we will bring the trophy back home where it belongs! Ha ha a ha ha!

OCTAVIA - I know what you mean.

DONTE - I actually remember the last time bros and sorors both won the homecoming step show at the same time.

GINA - Really? When?

DONTE - Let’s just say that it was a long time ago. When I was a freshman.

(OCTAVIA giggles to herself.)

OCTAVIA thinks - When the hell was that?

DONTE - So can I ask you a personal question?

OCTAVIA - Huh? Sure.

(silence)

OCTAVIA - What’s up?

DONTE - Um...well I just wanted to know if you had second thoughts about going out with me in the beginning.

(silence.)

OCTAVIA - Second thoughts?

DONTE - Yeah, when I first asked you out.

OCTAVIA - Obviously Donte, I did. Our age difference.

DONTE - It isn’t that bad.

OCTAVIA - Yeah I know it isn’t. But at first, it just looked kinda funny.

DONTE - Yeah, I guess.

OCTAVIA - But more important than that...

DONTE - Ha ha ha, oh there’s more?

OCTAVIA - You didn’t think that you were getting off that easily did you? Moreso is the fact that you are still here at Ahpla. The fact that you never graduated. That bothered me a lot.

DONTE - Really?

OCTAVIA - You know how I stress the importance of good grades. I am getting on April’s case for that all the time. I am a hard person on education. It is just too important of a time to let slip by.

DONTE - Yeah, I hear ya.

(silence.)

DONTE - So knowing this, why did you decide to go to the diner with me that day?

OCTAVIA - Well...

(silence)

OCTAVIA - ...well, I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I didn’t know your individual situation. For all I know, you could have been in the military and could not attend class because of a war going on!

(DONTE smiles as he drives.)

OCTAVIA - Then once we went out once or twice, I...I really liked you. So it didn’t seem as pressing to me as it did at first.

DONTE - Really?

OCTAVIA - Yeah. But to be honest with you Donte, I really got caught up in the idea of dating you. You are a real sweet guy. But I am starting to think that our priorities are different and it may cause problems if we had a real relationship.

DONTE - What?

OCTAVIA - I excused you for not graduating on time and made excuses for you because I like you. But that is not how I normally think or feel.

DONTE thinks - Oh shit! Why did I ask this question!

OCTAVIA - So I just think that maybe...

DONTE - Octavia wait.

(OCTAVIA stops and looks at DONTE as they pull up to the gym. They see students crowding to get into the step show.)

DONTE - Look, I do like you a lot. And I like what we have going right now. Just taking our time and enjoying each other’s company. I like that and I don’t want that to stop.

OCTAVIA - But you need to be focused on graduating Donte. Not on seeing me.

DONTE - Why can’t I do both?

(OCTAVIA looks out the passenger side window and sees more and more students waiting to get into the step show. She speaks without turning her head back.)

OCTAVIA - Take tonight for instance. There comes a time when you have to let this go. You can’t attend every function like this, as if you were still young. I remember you mentioning to me on the phone that you have a quiz tomorrow. So then what in the world are you doing here?

(OCTAVIA continues to look out the window.)

OCTAVIA - I can truly respect someone that knows and understands the meaning of the word sacrifice. You have to stay home sometimes and sacrifice. But once you get your degree, you can go to all the parties and shows in the world. You know what I mean?

(silence.)

OCTAVIA - You know what I mean Donte?

(OCTAVIA turns around and didn’t even hear DONTE open his car door and slip outside with the engine still on. As she turns back, she sees DONTE outside of her window opening her door for her.)

OCTAVIA - What are you doing?

DONTE - I am opening your door for you. Page me when the show is almost over so I can come back and pick you up. I will be at home studying. Tell the sorors I said...good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We join NINO and CANDACE getting ready to leave CANDACE’s room for the step show.

CANDACE - You ready to go?

NINO - Yeah.

CANDACE - What’s the matter?

(NINO sits back down on the bed.)

CANDACE - What’s the matter? Aren’t you ready to go?

NINO - Yeah, I am ready. I am more than ready. I just want to sit down with my baby for a second.

(CANDACE smiles.)

CANDACE - Boy! You know we gonna be late.

NINO - The show waits for it’s stars.

(CANDACE laughs as she sits down.)

NINO - Girl, I love you so much. Do you know that this is the first show that we will step in together?

CANDACE - I thought about that too.

CANDACE - Yeah. That is cool.

CANDACE - Just don’t show me up!

(NINO laughs.)

NINO - Don’t act like you aint nice!

CANDACE - I mean, I got a little something something!

(They laugh together.)

CANDACE - How do you feel?

NINO - Never better.

CANDACE - Yeah right. Promise?

NINO - Can, I am about to step in my final step show. I have my lady that I love dearly by my side, and I feel great. I am letting Larry do the flip at the end of the show so you don’t have to worry about me working up my heart or getting my chest burning.

CANDACE - Ok.

NINO - I am being honest when I say that I have never been happier.

(CANDACE pouts.)

CANDACE - Awww, I love my baby!

NINO - I love my baby!

(CANDACE and NINO hug.)

NINO - There is one thing that I wanted to tell you though.

CANDACE - What’s up sweetie.

NINO - Someone brought to my attention the shoplifting incident.

CANDACE - What?

NINO - Yeah, someone knew.

CANDACE - How? Who?

NINO - Well it was...uh...

CANDACE - Christian.

NINO - Yeah.

CANDACE - I can’t believe that girl! Damn! She must have seen it in my file!

NINO - Yeah!

CANDACE - And the real messed up part is that she doesn’t know the whole situation.

NINO - Yeah, she doesn’t. I had to tell her.

CANDACE - So she didn’t know about the department store mistaking me for another black girl?

NINO - She had no idea about that.

CANDACE - And she doesn’t know that I am suing the hell out of that department store?

NINO - Nope, she didn’t.

CANDACE - Damn, that pisses me off!

NINO - Well calm down baby. I don’t want you getting all worked up right before we head out to the stepshow.

CANDACE - But why must this girl hate on me so much? I mean damn!

NINO - Don’t worry about it. I let her know the deal and handled it.

CANDACE - You handled it for you maybe. But it aint over for me yet.

NINO - What are you gonna do?

CANDACE - You’ll see, when we go on stage tonight. You will see!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading as the sands burn for a long time and when the site disappeared I was heated...because this was my guilty pleasure...for the creator...you have a wonderful imagination...keep it up...

Lovely Lady of DST