Episode 45

We begin this week's episode in KATRICE's room. PJ and APRIL are there hanging out with KATRICE.

PJ - Yo here it is!

KATRICE - Cool, put it in!

PJ - Ok. Do you have a remote or something? I have to rewind it too.

KATRICE - Yeah, I have the remote. Put the tape in and I can rewind it from here.

PJ - Okay cool.

(PJ puts a tape into the vcr.)

KATRICE - It's about time we got a copy of our own probate show! Damn, what took so long?

PJ - That nigga Ronnie! He wasn't trying to come up off this copy. Talking about he wasn't sure if I would give it back to him.

APRIL - You probably won't. Ha ha ha ha.

PJ - Ha ha ha, but that aint the point. Ha ha ha ha ha. Hey, don't rewind all the way to the beginning. Who knows what kind of foolishness Ronnie has on this tape before we marched out.

KATRICE - Good point. Let me play it from here.

(KATRICE presses play. The video shows the crowd on the yard as RONNIE is taping.)

RONNIE - Yo dog look! She got a fat ass! Look!

(The video shows a girl in the crowd from behind.)

PJ - See what I mean! Fast forward to where we come out.

APRIL - Yeah, I don't want to see this shit.

KATRICE thinks - I do!

(KATRICE fast forwards to where the crowd starts to rush over to the AKA plot on the yard.)

PJ - Wait, this must be us coming now. Play it!

(KATRICE presses play just as the line comes onto the yard.)

PJ - Yeah boy! We look tight as hell! Look at us!

APRIL - Aw man, yall wasn't as tight as my line!

PJ - Bullshit! Don't hate April! Ha ha ha ha ha!

(APRIL's cell phone rings.)

APRIL - Where did I put my...oh there it is.

(APRIL picks up her phone off the desk.)

APRIL - Hello?

XAVIER - Hey April, it's Z.

APRIL - Oh hey. Hold on for a minute okay?

(APRIL looks at PJ who is glued to the screen smiling. She then looks at KATRICE who is staring back at her.)

APRIL - I'm gonna take this call in the hallway.

KATRICE - Aight.

KATRICE thinks - Who the hell is calling April so she has to take the call outside?

(APRIL walks outside.)

PJ - Look sands, here we come!

KATRICE - Huh? Oh yeah, let me see.

(There is a knock on the door.)

KATRICE - It's open April.

(There is another knock on the door.)

KATRICE - Come in, damn!

(The door opens slowly and JAHANNA peeks her head in.)

KATRICE - Oh hey Jahanna. I thought you were April.

JAHANNA - Oh, she is out here on the phone.

KATRICE - Ok okay. Come in.

(JAHANNA waves to APRIL who is still in the hall and comes into the room. She closes the door behind herself.)

KATRICE - Pull up a chair, we are watching our probate show from last year.

JAHANNA - Okay.

(JAHANNA nervously pulls the chair from the desk and pulls it to watch as well.)

PJ - Watch this part, this is where we do Octavia's greeting, Big Sister N.A.A.C.P. I used to love that shit!

KATRICE - Yeah!

(KATRICE looks on and laughs. She then turns to JAHANNA.)

KATRICE - So what brings you by Jahanna?

JAHANNA - Um...well I needed to um...talk to you about something. Something important.

(KATRICE turns back to watch the greeting again.)

KATRICE - Something important huh?

(silence)

(KATRICE laughs again and turns back to JAHANNA.)

KATRICE - What's so important?

JAHANNA - Well...well what happened was...

PJ - That shit is classic! Let me rewind it! Ha ha ha ha ha! I love it!

KATRICE - Yeah, play that back. Octavia had a big head for weeks over that! Ha ha ha ha ha!

(PJ rewinds the tape. KATRICE turns back to JAHANNA.)

KATRICE - I'm sorry, what were you saying?

JAHANNA - That's okay. I was jut saying that I had something very important to talk to you about.

KATRICE - Oh yeah. So what's on your mind?

JAHANNA - Well, what happened was...well, I kinda went...went to...

KATRICE - Jahanna, just spit it out okay?

JAHANNA - Okay.

(JAHANNA takes a deep breath. PJ is still watching the tape, KATRICE is waiting for JAHANNA's answer.)

JAHANNA - I beat Mona up.

PJ - What!

(PJ turns around.)

PJ - You did what!

JAHANNA - I went to see Mona and I...beat her up.

PJ - Oh shit!

KATRICE - Wait a minute! Wait, you beat Mona up? What do you mean you beat her up? Tell us what happened from the beginning.

PJ - Hell yeah! I got to hear this!

(PJ turns the tape off and turns around to face JAHANNA.)

JAHANNA - They said that you aren't deserving of the letters that you have across your chest! Because if you were, you wouldn't be trying to tell me what the shield stands for! You didn't even know what it stood for because you had to look it up and get back to me!

MONA - So I forgot, big deal! You think that every single AKA remembers all that stuff all the damn time!

JAHANNA - If it means something to them then they would! Obviously it didn't mean anything to you! And you got me listening to your dumb ass, I may not get selected for line! Here I am avoiding PJ and she pledged harder than anybody else!

MONA - PJ? Forget PJ!

JAHANNA - Mona, if I didn't make line because I had listened to you, I...I swear I would've...

(MONA jumps up in JAHANNA's face.)

MONA - You would've what?

JAHANNA - You better get out of my face! I aint the one for your games!

(PJ jumps out of her chair.)

PJ - Oh shit! You told her that you aint the one for her games? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Oh my God! So then what happened?

MONA - What? You gonna hit an AKA?

(MONA pushes JAHANNA.)

JAHANNA - No! But I'll hit you!

(JAHANNA shoves MONA onto the bed.)

PJ - Oh shit!

MONA - You little...

(MONA rushes JAHANNA and tackles her. MONA is on top of JAHANNA.)

MONA - You'll never be an AKA! When sorors find...out about...this...you'll never be...and AKA!

(JAHANNA struggles and gets on top of MONA. She pins her arms down with one leg and one hand.)

JAHANNA - It was those same sorors that told me about you! This is for Octavia who told me that you are shady!

(JAHANNA punches MONA in the face.)

KATRICE - Stop. Stop right there.

PJ - Yeah! Stop right there! Woooooo whooooo! I can't believe this shit! Oh my God! You kicked Mona's ass? Oh I wish I had a camera up in that joint! Damn, I wish I could've...

KATRICE - PJ!

PJ - Ha ha ha...what?

KATRICE - Shut the hell up!

PJ - What?

KATRICE - Are you listening to yourself? Sit down and shut up!

(PJ sits down puzzled.)

PJ - What's the matter with you?

KATRICE - Are you crazy or something? Jahanna hit a soror!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our scenes change to SHAREESA, GREGG and XAVIER who are in the office of the Ahpla University student newspaper, The Sands. SHAREESA just told GREGG that she has decided to see someone else.

(XAVIER spins around in his chair with his mouth wide open as he and GREGG both stare at SHAREESA.)

XAVIER thinks - Oh my God! She is going to tell Gregg about us kissing!

GREGG - What? You're...you're seeing someone...else?

XAVIER - Uh...look guys. I don't think that this really needs to be discussed right here and right now. This really isn't the proper setting for you two.

SHAREESA - Why not? I think it is perfect.

(SHAREESA looks at XAVIER and smiles.)

XAVIER thinks - What in the world is wrong with this girl!

GREGG - I can't believe you are seeing someone else.

SHAREESA - Why can't you believe it Gregg? I am just like you, only difference is that I decided to wait until after our relationship was over to see other people.

GREGG - I just can't...

(GREGG is sitting with a very hurt look on his face.)

XAVIER - Look Shareesa. I know that Gregg...uh...didn't necessarily do all the things that he was supposed to in the relationship.

SHAREESA - Uh huh.

XAVIER - And I know that you may even be enjoying this moment right now by torturing him a little.

(SHAREESA smiles.)

SHAREESA - Uh huh.

XAVIER - But on the real, you know that you are not that kind of person. The kind of person to gain pleasure from someone else's pain. I know he didn't always do you right, but don't do this to him. Not here, not now. Not like this.

(XAVIER looks at SHAREESA sympathetically.)

SHAREESA - You're right Xavier, you're absolutely right.

XAVIER thinks - Whew! Lord help me!

SHAREESA - Gregg I apologize. I am not trying to hurt you by being sarcastic.

GREGG - It's cool Reece. I just know that I messed up with a good thing in you and I will try to get you back no matter what you say.

SHAREESA - And on that note, I will leave you two brothers to chill. I gotta go.

(SHAREESA grabs her things. XAVIER's heart is still beating.)

XAVIER - Well thanks for stopping by Shareesa.

SHAREESA - No problem Xavier. Thanks for your words. You are always right on time.

(SHAREESA smiles, XAVIER makes himself smile.)

SHAREESA - See ya later guys.

GREGG - Bye Reece.

XAVIER - Yeah uh, see ya later.

(SHAREESA waves and walks out.)

GREGG - Damn man!

XAVIER - What?

(XAVIER turns to his computer. He doesn't want GREGG to see his facial expressions.)

GREGG - I messed up man. For real.

XAVIER - But I was telling you that a long time ago.

GREGG - I know man. Don't give me the I told you so.

XAVIER - My bad G. Didn't mean to go there. So what are you gonna do now?

GREGG - I want to get her back bro. Later for all these chicks that I deal with. None of them hos can hold a candle next to Shareesa.

XAVIER - Shareesa is a good person, has a degree and is doing her thing.

GREGG - I know man. And I am so stupid for messing up with her! Dammit my stupid dick!

(XAVIER spins around in his chair.)

XAVIER - What?

GREGG - My damn dick gets me into trouble all the time! Damn you!

(GREGG is yelling at his own crotch.)

XAVIER - Ha ha ha ha, man you are twisted! Dicks don't have minds of their own man. That was nobody's fault but yours! Ha ha ha ha ha!

GREGG - What do you know about that? They do have a mind of their own! You can have a perfectly good woman and be satisfied. And your dick will still make you want more! It's nothing but the dick man! I'm tryin' to tell ya!

XAVIER - Shut up!

GREGG - So how do you suggest I get Shareesa back?

XAVIER thinks - Oh man!

XAVIER - I don't know man. She sounds pretty determined. Like she has had enough.

GREGG - Maybe she is putting up a front. You know? Just pretending to not miss me and not want me back. But we have so much history. How can she get over me that quick? I just know that Shareesa is a beautiful person...

XAVIER thinks - Yeah!

GREGG - ...and she is fine...

XAVIER thinks - Sure is!

GREGG - ...and she has a good head on her shoulders...

XAVIER thinks - Yes she does!

GREGG - ...and the sex is the bomb...

XAVIER thinks - I'll never know.

GREGG - ...and I want her back.

XAVIER thinks - Me too!

GREGG - Damn!

XAVIER - Let me say this man. Go home and think this thing out. Because if you get her back you cannot mess up again.

GREGG - You're right!

XAVIER - Really think about whether or not you want to travel down this road. Because if you get back with her, this could be it for you. You have to seriously think about this. If you have any incling that you may cheat again or want somebody else, then don't waste Shareesa's time.

GREGG - You are so right! You always know the right things to say man! Thanks!

XAVIER - No problem nupe.

(XAVIER turns back around to face his computer.)

GREGG - So I'll holla at you later man.

XAVIER - No problem G. Be easy.

GREGG - Yo Xavier?

(XAVIER turns around.)

GREGG - Thanks man. For real.

XAVIER - Don't mention it man. What are brothers for? I just hope you do the right thing.

GREGG - Oh I will. I will. Peace man.

XAVIER - Later.

(XAVIER turns around and watches GREGG's reflection on his computer screen as he walks out the door.)

XAVIER thinks - Oh God! What am I gonna do?

(XAVIER holds his head in his hands.)

XAVIER thinks - I think I really like Shar...no! No! I can't even think something like that! No!

(XAVIER slides his chair to the end of the desk where the phone is.)

XAVIER thinks - Only one thing for me to do!

(XAVIER picks up the phone and dials.)

APRIL - Hello?

XAVIER - Hey April, it's Z.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------

We now find THERESA who is in MONA's room studying.

THERESA - Damn, there is a lot to this stuff huh? A lot you gotta know.

MONA - Oh indeed! My line sisters and I had to learn and make everything under the sun. It was crazy, but that is the name of the game.

THERESA - Damn.

MONA - Well anyway, we won't get anywhere by chit chattin'. You got a lot of stuff to learn and I am the one to teach ya. So are you ready?

THERESA - Indeed! Ready to start on the path to DST!

MONA - Well okay! Let's get started. Let's start at the beginning.

THERESA - That sounds appropriate.

MONA - Do you know about the founding of Delta? Like how it all went down?

THERESA - A little. I skimmed it in that book that I was checking out. But I really didn't get into details. I was hoping you could help me with that part.

MONA - Of course I can. Okay, sit back and listen to this. This is an amazing story!

(THERESA sits up in her chair. MONA is sitting on her bed.)

MONA - Okay. As you know the pretty ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha were first right?

(THERESA acts like she is gagging herself with her finger. MONA laughs.)

MONA - Don't hate. Anyway, sorors were first. So after a few years, there were some sorors in the chapter that wanted to change a few things.

THERESA - Change a few things?

MONA - Yeah. Change a few things.

THERESA - Like what?

MONA - Uh...like the colors for example.

THERESA - There were some sorors that wanted to change the sorority colors?

MONA - Yeah.

THERESA - That is silly. Pink and green are great together.

MONA - No they aren't! I mean, I love my colors and everything, but crimson and cream are every girl's dream!

THERESA - Not my dreams. I want to be a Delta, but I have always liked pink.

MONA - Hmmm, go figure. So anyway, these sorors want to change a few things. When some of the older sorors found out, it caused an arguement. You know how women can be.

THERESA - Yeah, hee hee. I can imagine.

MONA - So they get to arguing about it and the sorors that wanted to change some things left the group and started their own separate organization.

THERESA - What? They broke off from the main group and started another one?

MONA - Yep.

THERESA - That is crazy! What was the other group called?

MONA - Uh...Delta Sigma Theta.

THERESA - Oh, hee hee.

MONA - I think it was very innovative and a wise move on their part. If you are not satisfied, go do what you gotta do. They were more interested in serving the community and didn't feel that those needs were being met in the current organization. So I tip my hat to those ladies.

THERESA - On the contrary. You gonna jump ship when things don't go your way? That is whack! The organization is only what the people that are in it make of it. If you don't feel like the organization is meeting the needs of the community, then you as a member of that organization start to serve the community yourself. But don't break off and become a dissenter! Goodness.

MONA - I can't agree with that. I was very proud to learn about what those ladies had the courage to do. It took guts and tremendous vision to make a move like that. And it paid off well for them.

THERESA - I mean yeah, but at what cost? I think that the move was silly and immature.

MONA - To each her own huh? Ha ha ha.

THERESA - Yeah, I guess. Hee hee hee.

MONA - Well anyway, that is where Delta started. Since then, they have done all kinds of great things. Programs dealing with woman's suffrage, the march of dimes, all kinds of great things.

THERESA - What kinds of things have AKAs done nationally?

(silence)

MONA - Let me get back to you on that.

THERESA - Okay cool.

MONA - On with the history lesson.

THERESA - Proceed madam teacher.

MONA - So then the Ques come on the scene and the Delta ladies became cool with them, which I think was a great move.

THERESA - I prefer an Alpha man myself.

THERESA thinks - Like my baby.

MONA - Suit yourself, but I want me a nasty dog! Skee roof!

THERESA - Oh Lord. Phi ooop for me.

(They both laugh.)

MONA - Anyway, to make a long drawn out story short, Delta Sigma Theta has grown to be one of the most prominent organizations to ever grace womankind.

THERESA - Bravo! Good lesson!

MONA - Was that informative?

THERESA - Very.

MONA - Good. Got any questions?

THERESA - Actually yeah I do. Let me get my pad and pen out of my bag, I may want to write your answers down.

MONA - Cool.

(THERESA grabs her things.)

MONA - Okay shoot.

THERESA - Ok. What is the founding year of Delta?

MONA - Nineteen twelve.

(THERESA writes.)

THERESA - Okay...nine...teen...twelve. Okay. And how many founders were there?

MONA - Twenty.

THERESA - The big two zero. Cool. And what school?

MONA - Howard.

THERESA - Oh Howard University?

MONA - No, Howard Teacher's College.

THERESA - Oh okay cool. That seems to be it.

MONA - Great.

(There is a knock on the door.)

MONA - I must admit that I may be a little rusty on my history so you might want to check some of those facts just to confirm.

THERESA - That's okay. I trust ya.

(MONA laughs.)

MONA - Suit yourself. Let me see who is on the door.

(MONA opens the door.)

MONA - My goodness! What is your name and where have you been all my life?

JERRELL - Hey, are you Mona? Because if so, you are just the person I am told that I need to see!

No comments: