Episode 37

We begin this week's episode with MAX, OCTAVIA and DONTE. They are walking to the administration building on campus.

OCTAVIA - So tell me what happened Max.

MAX - It wasn't cute. I told daddy how I felt.

OCTAVIA - And what did he say?

MAX - He didn't say anything.

DONTE - Then what is the problem?

MAX - It is his silence. That is what bothers me so much.

DONTE - Huh?

MAX - You ever had a parent get mad at you and not do what you expect them to do? Like, if you were supposed to get punished and didn't?

DONTE - If that happened, I would be happy.

MAX - But instead, you know that you hurt their feelings more. That is worse.

OCTAVIA - I think I see what you mean.

MAX - I told him that I didn't want to work for his firm and that I had made my decision. And that I was going to accept the offer from the other firm.

OCTAVIA - And he didn't say anything?

MAX - No. His silence said a lot.

(silence)

MAX - And it is bigger than the business aspect of it. It is his feelings. His daughter chose to work for the competition. We are going to be competing for bids.

OCTAVIA - Wow!

MAX - Yeah, I feel real bad.

(They get to the administration building and go inside.)

DONTE - I hope everything works out for you.

MAX - Yeah.

DONTE - Hey, I think I need to go to the second floor.

OCTAVIA - Okay, do you want me to go with you?

DONTE - Uh...I think I will be okay. I will be right back.

(DONTE leaves.)

OCTAVIA - Max, I think you made the best decision. The best decision for you.

MAX - Then why do I feel terrible?

OCTAVIA - Because you are a good person with a conscience. If you hurt someone as close to you as your dad then didn't feel bad about it, then I would worry about you as a person. But because you are a good person, you feel bad about it. That is natural.

(SYLVIA walks up.)

SYLVIA - Hey sorors.

OCTAVIA - What's up girl. What you doing up in here?

SYLVIA - Just got the graduation clearance. I am good to walk up out of here!

MAX - Congrats!

SLVIA - Thanks! I pick up my cap and gown tomorrow.

MAX - Cool!

SYLVIA - What yall doing up in here?

OCTAVIA - Donte just went upstairs to check on his clearance.

SYLVIA - Oh he is getting out of Ahpla too?

OCTAVIA - Yep.

OCTAVIA thinks - I hope.

OCTAVIA - Max was just telling me that she told her dad about the architecture firm that she is going to work for.

SYLVIA - What! What happened?

MAX - He is hurt. He didn't say anything.

SYLVIA - Oh wow! I know that that is a big deal because your dad is never at a loss for words.

MAX - I feel really bad.

SYLVIA - Don't worry girl. It'll be okay.

(silence)

MAX - Hey I'll be right back okay?

OCTAVIA - Yeah okay.

(MAX walks away. DONTE comes back.)

SYLVIA - Hey frat.

DONTE - What's up girl?

SYLVIA - You straight to walk down that aisle?

DONTE - Yeah, cap and gown ready!

SYLVIA - Good! Well let me run, I gotta couple of errands to take care of.

OCTAVIA - Okay, I'll catch up with you later.

(SYLVIA walks away.)

OCTAVIA - I am so happy baby! Everything worked out with your graduation clearance?

DONTE - No, it didn't. We have to talk!

(MAX has walked to a pay phone.)

MAX - Hey daddy it's me. Can we talk?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOBBY and REGGIE are walking back to their dorm. The Alpha meeting has ended.

BOBBY - Wil told me that you spoke up for me during the meeting.

REGGIE - It wasn't so much that I spoke on your behalf, I just didn't want bros to take one side of a story. Especially that whole story about Ronnie and the Ques.

BOBBY - Well thanks anyway.

REGGIE - Don't mention it. But at the same time, that was some foul shit that you pulled on Quinton.

BOBBY - I know. To be honest, I didn't mean for it to go there. I really want to apologize to him.

REGGIE - The fact that he is dealing with Alexis now has nothing to do with his ability to run the chapter. Just like the fact that you cheated on Alexis had nothing to do with you running the chapter before.

BOBBY - Yeah you're right. You're absolutely right. It's just...

(silence)

REGGIE - It's just what?

BOBBY - Well, it's just that I am real lonely lately. Ya know?

REGGIE - Oh brother!

BOBBY - No seriously man. Think about it. I was really into Alexis. I mean, yes I cheated on her and that was stupid. If I could go back in time, I wouldn't travel down that same path.

REGGIE - Uh huh.

BOBBY - But since Alexis, I haven't had anything significant as far as a relationship. Me and Alexis were together for so long that I am like a fish out of water now without a girlfriend.

REGGIE - I hear ya.

BOBBY - I have felt this way for a few weeks. But I never said anything or did anything.

REGGIE - Why not?

BOBBY - You're gonna laugh.

REGGIE - I promise I won't laugh.

(silence)

REGGIE - What?

BOBBY - I really have forgotten how to approach women.

REGGIE - What? Ha ha ha ha ha!

BOBBY - See!

REGGIE - I'm just joking. But what the hell are you talking about?

BOBBY - I have lost my edge. See this is what I am saying...

REGGIE - Yeah, break this down because I gotta hear this!

BOBBY - I am good at being a foul nigga. I can lie a good lie. I can cheat and be the player. That comes easy.

REGGIE - Uh huh.

BOBBY - But to be honest with a girl from the start. I don't think I have ever done that. Ever.

REGGIE - Really?

BOBBY - Well I did it with Alexis but that was so long ago. So at this point, if I aint lying to her, I don't know what I would say.

REGGIE - That is nuts.

BOBBY - But it's the truth.

REGGIE - Damn. Well look, this is what you need to do.

BOBBY - I am all ears.

REGGIE - And this might be hard to do.

BOBBY - I'll try anything.

REGGIE - You need to think about Nino when you approach a girl.

BOBBY - What?

REGGIE - Try and think of how Nino would say something to Candace. Use him as your measuring stick. If he wouldn't say it, then don't say it.

(silence)

BOBBY - Okay that will be hard.

REGGIE - I told you.

BOBBY - I might approach a girl in a club and start crying because I miss Nino.

REGGIE - But think about it, Nino was the epitome of honesty, loyalty, trust, and all those good things. He always made Candace feel like she was his queen.

BOBBY - That's true.

REGGIE - So what better example to use?

BOBBY - I guess you're right.

REGGIE - Good luck.

BOBBY - Thanks.

REGGIE - But at least it sounds like you are trying to make a change for the better.

BOBBY - Yeah man, we'll see.

(They get to REGGIE's room.)

BOBBY - Aight man, I will holla at cha lata.

REGGIE - Cool bruh.

(REGGIE and BOBBY grip each other.)

BOBBY - Peace.

REGGIE - Oh six.

(REGGIE goes into his room and BOBBY starts to walk to his.)

BOBBY thinks - Think like Nino. Think like Nino. How would Nino talk to his girl?

NINO - Do you know why I love you so much?

(CANDACE giggles.)

CANDACE - Nope I don't know. Tell me!

(NINO hugs CANDACE.)

NINO - Because you are the perfect example of God's love to us.

CANDACE - Baby that is beautiful!

NINO - Unconditional love. There are no conditions. No fine print. No rules or regulations. Just love baby.

(CANDACE gets emotional.)

CANDACE - That is the way that I love you too! Ever since I first met you, I knew you were the one for me!

NINO - Do you remember when we first met?

CANDACE - Of course I do. I remember that summer day like it was yesterday.

NINO - Summer day? It wasn't in the summer.

(CANDACE lets go of NINO.)

CANDACE - What? Boy don't get beat up! You don't remember when we first met?

NINO - I remember, I think it is you who don't remember.

CANDACE - What are you talking about? We met in the summer.

NINO - No we didn't.

CANDACE - Yes we did!

NINO - No we didn't.

CANDACE - Okay, if we didn't meet in the summer, when did we meet?

(NINO smiles.)

NINO - In the womb. You don't remember God introducing us?

(silence)

CANDACE - You are the sweetest man in the world!

(CANDACE jumps up and throws her arms around NINO.)

BOBBY thinks - Hmmmm.

(BOBBY picks up the phone and dials.)

BOBBY - Hey this is Bobby. Do you remember where we first met?

CARYN - I think it was at a basketball game wasn't it? Why?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DERRICK calls JUNE's cell phone to tell her about his opportunity for a spot in the NBA. BUCK answers the phone.

BUCK - Hello?

DERRICK thinks - Oh shit!

BUCK - Hello? Is anybody there?

DERRICK - Yo where is June?

(silence)

BUCK - Derrick?

DERRICK - Yeah, this is Derrick. Where is June?

BUCK - Well well well. If it isn't my friend Derrick. What's up man?

(silence)

BUCK - Aw come on Derrick, I know you aren't still mad about how I played that game. That was business. Just doing what I have to do to win.

DERRICK - You are underhanded and low!

BUCK - Look man, I can be a bigger man and admit that you are a better basketball player. No doubt, you got skill. Mad skill.

DERRICK - But?

BUCK - But when it comes to the ladies...I got you beat.

DERRICK - What?

BUCK - You know how to handle a basketball, but you don't have the slightest idea on how to handle a lady...a real lady! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

DERRICK - Shut the hel...

BUCK - No you shut up and listen! If you think that trick Caryn is a real lady then you are an idiot! Everybody at Ahpla and at Amgis is laughing at your stupid ass for making her your girl! You can't make a ho a housewife you dummy! How she gonna be with you, have some other niggas kid, and call the kid your name?

DERRICK - You don't even understand what that is about!

BUCK - But I do understand. You trying to be a good man and be by her side becuase you thought you knocked her up. Once you found out that it wasn't yours, you couldn't just bounce. That would make you a foul nigga. Kinda like me huh? Ha ha ha ha.

(silence)

BUCK - So you make this chick your girl and start sporting her around the yard? You are nuts!

DERRICK - You're the stupid one because you don't know what you're talking about!

BUCK - But that isn't even the stupid part.

(BUCK checks to see if JUNE is still in the bathroom.)

BUCK - The real stupid part is that you had fine ass June. As fine as she is! All she wanted to do was be an AKA and be your girl. And you tried to stand in her way and not let that happen.

DERRICK - Did she tell you that?

BUCK - Don't worry about where I heard it. I just heard it. Then you mess around with April, her big sister, while she is on line. Classic D. Classic! That act of stupidity seals it. Now you will never get back with April because she hates your stupid ass!

DERRICK - Well that is where you are wrong! What me and June had you could never have nor understand!

BUCK - Sorry to disappoint you D, but I am working on that right now. And it seems to be working well.

DERRICK - What?

BUCK - I guess I can go ahead and fill you in the scheme. It doesn't matter. See I met this girl named Mona from your school. She is real cool, cute too. She's an AKA. She seems to think that June is a bitch and she wants to get back at her for some stuff that went down with their pledge process.

DERRICK - What!

BUCK - Yeah, so she enlists me to help her out. You know, seduce June and let her play right into Mona's hands. Silly girl type shit but who cares. As long as it pisses you off, and I know that it will. Ha ha ha ha!

DERRICK - What are you getting out of this? You gonna hurt June just to get at me?

BUCK - Something like that. Of course I am getting something out of the deal too, but that is between me and Mona.

DERRICK - You're a little bitch Buck! Let me speak to June!

BUCK - Sure, so you can warn her? Like she is really going to believe you! She is going to look at you as the jealous ex boyfriend that doesn't want to see her with anybody else. So sure, you can talk to her if you want. Tell her all about me and my plan. Good luck! Ha ha ha ha! Hey June, telephone!

No comments: