Episode 4

We begin this week’s episode in GREGG’s room. He is talking with his girlfriend SHAREESA.

GREGG - I think you need to explain to me why you can’t ever trust me! If you can’t do that, then we need some time apart!

SHAREESA - Ok fine! But first, explain to me what this father's day card from Nino means. If you can’t do that motherfucker, then you’ll get your time apart!

(SHAREESA reaches into her bag and pulls NINO’s Father’s Day card out.)

GREGG thinks - Oh shit!

SHAREESA - So what is the meaning of this?

GREGG - Aw baby...

SHAREESA - Don’t go there Gregg! Tell me the truth!

GREGG - Damn Sharrese! What do you want from me?

SHAREESA - I want the truth!

GREGG - What truth! I aint do shit!

SHAREESA - If you aint do shit, then you should find it easy to explain this card and what Nino meant by what he wrote in it!

GREGG - Why you always interrogating me? Damn!

SHAREESA - Because you give me reason to! Now what the hell does this card mean?

GREGG thinks - Dammit! Dammit!

(GREGG stands up off the couch and starts to pace the floor.)

GREGG - Ok Reese, here is the deal. This is the truth.

SHAREESA - I’m listening.

(silence)

GREGG - There is a girl on campus that is claiming to be pregnant by me.

(SHAREESA jumps off the couch.)

SHAREESA - What! What the hell are you talking about? Who did you screw?

GREGG - I didn’t screw anybody! That is the thing! I don’t even know this girl! I didn’t do anything with her!

SHAREESA - So how the hell is somebody pregnant by you if you didn’t fuck them? Huh? What do you take me for a fucking idiot Gregg?

(SHAREESA’s tears of anger start to fall.)

GREGG thinks - Oh shit! Damm, no! No!

GREGG - Shareese, you gotta believe me! Look me in my eyes! I am not lying! I did not cheat on you! I didn’t fuck with any of these chicken heads! This is probably some chick that wants to get with me and I turned her down. She is just trying to break us up!

(SHAREESA thinks about her soror GINA.)

GINA - Don’t be stupid Shareesa! Don’t be stupid Shareesa! Don’t be a fool!

GREGG - Everybody in the world wants us to break up! I keep telling you that! It’s like that crabs in a barrel thing, one girl gets a good man and every other chick wants to pull her down and drag his name through the mud!

GINA - Don’t listen to him Shareesa! Don’t be a fool Shareesa! Don’t be a fool Shareesa!

GREGG - You can’t believe every girl that says that they got some shit on me! Because it just aint true! It aint true Reese!

(SHAREESA thinks about PJ.)

PJ - I didn’t know you were with him! Had I known, I never would have been with your man! He told me that yall weren’t together anymore! He told me that yall weren’t together anymore! He told me that yall weren’t together anymore!

GREGG - I don’t even know this girl! I have never been with her!

PJ - He told me that yall weren’t together anymore!

GREGG - I have never been with her!

PJ - Yes he has!

GREGG - I don’t even know her!

PJ - Yes he does!

(silence)

GREGG - Shareesa!

SHARERESA - What!

GREGG - Have you heard a word I have said?

SHAREESA - Yeah Gregg, I have been listening.

GREGG - But do you hear me?

SHAREESA - No I don’t hear you Gregg. Honestly I don’t! I don’t hear you and I don’t feel you! I’m out of here!

(SHAREESA walks out and slams the door behind her.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We change scenes and rejoin the AKA’s. SOROR BERGEN has just come into the room and wants to discuss alleged pledging activities with the SORORS.

SOROR BERGEN - I need to talk to you all right here! Right now!

(Everyone is quiet as they look around at each other and wait for someone to step up and answer.)

SYLVIA - Soror Bergen, with all due respect, I know you have things you would like to discuss with us. That is perfectly fine. I just ask that we can regroup and convene at a later date. This has been a long day for all of us with a few unexpected occurences. Let’s not scar our new girls’ first impression with...sorority business.

(SOROR BERGEN looks at SYLVIA sternly. SYLVIA doesn’t budge and stares back.)

SOROR BERGEN - Fine. I will be in contact with you Sylvia. Be advised that my investigation will be pending.

SYLVIA - Fine.

(SYLVIA stares her down until SOROR BERGEN turns and walks out.)

SYLVIA thinks - Damn!

(MAX approaches SYLVIA.)

MAX whispers - What are we gonna do?

SYLVIA - We are gonna chill. We need a few days to coach the neos on what to say. So I am glad she left, that will give us some time to get our story together. Don’t worry about it.

MAX - That’s why I love you, always cool under pressure!

SYLVIA - Yeah right.

ASHANTE - Sorors, let’s go back out to the rest of the sorors waiting to congratulate you and give you gifts. Afterward we are going to sing the hymn and get some sleep!

(Everyone laughs.)

PJ thinks - Afterward I might get a drink! Fuck it!

(They go outside to many hugs, tears and gifts.)

SYLVIA - Sorors, let’s assemble with our new members and sing the sorority hymn.

(The Sorors circle up.)

PJ thinks - I have always loved the way this sounds from the outside looking in! I love this! I am an AKA! I still can’t believe it! Thank you Lord!

(KATRICE looks at her line sister JUNE next to her.)

KATRICE thinks - June is the bomb! How in the world did she learn all the words to the hymn already?

JUNE thinks - I am so happy! I love Alpha Kappa Alpha! This hymn is so beautiful!

(The hymn ends and Sorors resume hugging each other.)

JUNE - Katrice, are you headed home? I can walk with you.

KATRICE - Oh ok, cool. PJ you coming?

PJ - Yeah, let me just grab this bag.

(The neos walk out together...while outside...)----------------------

APRIL - Katrice calls me soror! That’s all you need to know!

DERRICK - That’s cool. I aint mad at that. So what are you doing later?

APRIL - Huh?

APRIL thinks - What does this nigga want more hot tea?

(KATRICE and JUNE are talking as they walk out and don’t notice APRIL talking to DERRICK. But PJ does.)

PJ - Derrick is still here?

(KATRICE and JUNE look. APRIL notices the neos looking.)

APRIL - Come here D, let me tell you something.

(DERRICK bends over so APRIL can whisper in his ear.)

APRIL whispering - If you were as good as Katrice, maybe I’d tell you what I am doing later.

DERRICK - What!

(APRIL turns toward the neos.)

APRIL smiling - Katrice, soror, you ready to bounce?

(The neos are just standing there looking stunned. Especially JUNE.)

KATRICE - Uh...yeah...I guess. Hey yall, I will call yall tomorrow ok?

(silence)

PJ - Yeah, cool.

JUNE - Sure soror.

(KATRICE walks over to APRIL and they walk away together. JUNE approaches DERRICK.)

JUNE - You got sorors telling you secrets in your ear now?

DERRICK - Aw baby, that wasn’t nothing. We just cool.

PJ thinks - Oh God!

PJ - June you ready to leave?

DERRICK - I’ll walk you home June. I think we need to talk.

(Both PJ and DERRICK look at JUNE for a response.)

JUNE - PJ, I’ll be fine. I will call you as soon as I get in.

PJ - Please do.

PJ thinks - Damn!

DERRICK - See ya later PJ.

(PJ just turns and walks. She doesn’t respond to DERRICK.)

PJ thinks - I’m glad I aint in love with a nigga! Shit!

(PJ gets to the Ivy Tower. As she walks in she sees SHAREESA sitting in the lobby. SHAREESA stands and approaches PJ.)

PJ thinks - Now what!

SHAREESA - Congratulations PJ! Welcome to my sisterhood.

PJ - Thank you Shareesa. That means a lot to me.

SHAREESA - Can we talk?

PJ thinks - Oh God!

PJ - Sure soror, come on up.

(They enter the elevator together.)

SHAREESA - So how does it feel? To be a soror now?

PJ - It feels kinds weird. This day has been so long coming for me that I don’t know what to feel.

SHAREESA - That’s how I felt too.

PJ thinks - Ok, what’s with the small talk?

(They get to PJ and APRIL’s room.)

PJ - Come on in.

SHAREESA - Thanks. I guess you’ll be decorating your half of the room now too huh?

PJ - Yeah, you know I will.

(silence)

PJ - Shareesa, I know that we haven’t had the best of histories. But now maybe we can talk on a different level. I am actually glad you came by.

SHAREESA - Yeah. That is why I came by...so we could get a chance to talk.

PJ - What’s up?

SHAREESA - We have always had our differences because of Gregg. Now I don’t know who or what to believe. Me and Gregg have been through so much that I can’t make heads of tails of anything. I just want to know what’s up with him.

PJ - Well Shareesa, I aint gonna lie to you. Think about it, I have no reason to. Especially now.

(SHAREESA sits down.)

SHAREESA - Yeah.

PJ - The thing about Gregg is this...

(The telephone rings.)

PJ - Damn, always interrupted by the phone.

SHAREESA - Yeah.

(SHAREESA forces a smile. PJ checks the caller id.)

PJ - Oh shit!

SHAREESA - What!

PJ - Speak of the devil...it’s Gregg!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We find the Alphas on the yard still stepping.

LARRY - I’m hype now! What’s the next one?

BOBBY - Damn boy, slow down! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

NINO - Yeah slow down!

(NINO is bending over catching his breath.)

JASON - A phi!

(Everyone turns around a notices JASON approaching.)

BROTHERS - Oh six!

(The crowd cheers as they see another neo approaching.)

QUINTON - What took you so long? I was scared you weren’t gonna make it.

JASON - Had to take care of some personal business. But I wouldn’t have missed this for anything in the world!

LARRY - Cool! Now that we are all here, let’s get to stepping!

JASON - Yeah, what’s up?

QUINTON - Damn, don’t tell me I am the only one that won’t be on the step team!

BOBBY - Somebody has to lead the chapter! Ha ha ha ha ha! Nino, you ready?

(NINO is still catching his breath.)

NINO - Yeah...sure...um...let’s kick alpha sized.

LARRY - Oh cool! I know that one.

NINO - Why don’t you lead this one then neo. The crowd will love that.

LARRY smiling - Are you serious?

NINO - Yeah, kick that shit.

(LARRY excitedly calls the brothers to the circle and begins the step.)

STUDENT - Oh shit, that new guy is leading one now! He is gonna be ill in a step show!

LARRY - Well I was walking around, feeling kinda down...

BROTHERS - Trying to find the baddest frat in town...

LARRY - And I was searching here and there, searching everywhere...

BROTHERS - Trying to find the frat that was more than just fair...

(QUINTON joins in.)

BROTHERS - I saw that, blue and white and it was not alright...I saw that white and red and it looked kinda dead...I saw the purple and gold and I still wasn’t sold...

LARRY - But then I...

BROTHERS - ...saw the light!

LARRY - And it was...

BROTHERS - ...shining bright!

LARRY - I was not...

BROTHERS - ...hypnotized!

LARRY - I was not...

BROTHERS - ...mesmerized! I was ice ice baby, alphasized!

(The Brothers pose and the crowd cheers for LARRY, QUINTON and JASON. The Bros start to rush the neos to congratulate them, they are all jumping all over one another. NINO is caught up in the middle.)

NINO thinks - Oh shit! I can’t breathe!

(NINO tries to get out from the crowd of jumping brothers, but he keeps getting banged around.)

NINO coughing - Aaaagh! Get off me!

(NINO wrestles his way out and is bending over trying to catch his breath. BOBBY comes over and playfully jumps on NINO’s back.)

BOBBY - Damn bruh, you aint tired yet are you? You aint old school!

NINO thinks - Get off me! I can’t breathe!

(NINO stumbles and BOBBY laughs, thinking NINO is only tired.)

BOBBY - Come on man, what’s wrong?

(NINO waves his arm because he can’t speak.)

BOBBY - Are you ok man? Hey, what’s wrong?

(NINO falls to one knee.)

BOBBY - Oh shit! Nino, what’s wrong man? What’s wrong!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KATRICE’s room.

APRIL - Shit! I don’t know why not, Lord knows you give the best massages. Aight cool, hook a sister up.

No comments: