Episode 2

We rejoin JASON who is standing out front of THERESA's place. She has just walked back inside.

JASON thinks - Damn! If she aint feeling all that I just poured out, then fuck it.

(JASON turns to leave.)

THERESA - You’re not coming in?

(JASON turns around and THERESA is standing in the door. JASON smiles.)

JASON - Sure.

(JASON comes inside and pushes the door behind him.)

JASON - I just want to say that I didn't come over here to try and get back with you or anything like that. I just wanted to say that I am truly sorry for the way that things went down.

THERESA - I was really hurt by what happened. I really wanted things to go somewhere for us, but then you lied to me. After that, I don’t know what happened. I was trying to set you up and then you attacked me...

JASON - Look, there is nothing I can say that will excuse me putting my hands on you like that. Nothing. I am so sorry. If you never forgive me, I will understand.

THERESA - I don’t know Jason, I just think it will take some time. You know? Like we can’t rush into anything.

JASON - I think it is a good thing that we are just speaking now. I didn’t know if we would ever speak like this.

THERESA - Yeah.

(silence. They both feel rather awkward.)

THERESA - So I guess congratulations are in order.

JASON - Oh yeah, I crossed. Thanks. I am so happy.

THERESA - You seem to wear it well. Turn around, let me read the back.

(JASON turns around and displays his crossing shirt.)

THERESA - The wise men huh? So you are all smart or something?

JASON - Not quite what it means, but that explanation will do for now.

THERESA - You look skinny. Did you lose weight on line or something?

JASON - Hello? I was pledging! Bros aren’t into feeding pledgees four course meals. I was eating rats like that survivor show!

THERESA - Yuck! Get away from me!

JASON - I’m just playing! Like you wouldn’t like me if I ate a rat.

THERESA - That’s disgusting! I would kick you out my house! Ha ha ha ha ha!

JASON - Ok then, I ate a rat! Let me see you kick me out!

(JASON jumps in front of THERESA and blows his breath in her face jokingly.)

JASON - Does that smell like rat barbecue?

THERESA - Ill! Get away!

(THERESA playfully pushes JASON away but he grabs her jokefully.)

JASON - Nope, you are gonna smell this pledge rat breath!

THERESA - Ha ha ha ha ha! Stop it! Ha ha ha, get off me!

(JASON starts to tickle THERESA.)

THERESA - Ha ha ha ha ha! Stop! Stop! Sto..ha ha ha ha ha! Get off! Ha ha ha ha haa ha ha!

(Through their wrestling, they fall on the couch together.)

THERESA - Please! Stop tickl...ha ha ha ha! Stop!

(JASON stops. JASON and THERESA look at each other. They start to kiss each other.)

JASON thinks - Oh shit!

(Since they were playing so rough, they start to kiss roughly.)

THERESA thinks - Oh yes! Oh yes!

(JASON grabs THERESA's butt hard which pulls her closer to him. THERESA starts to breathe heavy.)

JASON - Wait!

(JASON takes off his Alpha shirt and neatly folds it and puts it on the table...carefully.)

JASON - Sorry about that. It’s new.

(THERESA grabs JASON and he plops down on top of her. They start to passionately kiss again.)

JASON thinks - Oh my God! Oh my God!

THERESA thinks - Oh yes!

(The door opens.)

WILLIE - Theresa! Why the hell is your front door not locked! Don’t you know that anybody can just walk up in your...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We rejoin GREGG who is in his room talking to CARYN. SHAREESA and GINA have just walked in.

SHAREESA - Oh Gregg, I didn’t know you had company. Who is your friend?

GREGG - Oh...uh...uh...this...is uh...

CARYN - Hi I’m Caryn.

SHAREESA - Hi Caryn, I’m Shareesa and this is Gina.

GINA - Hi.

CARYN - Hi Gina.

GREGG thinks - Oh my God!

GREGG - Yeah, Caryn is a...friend of mine. She is a cheerleader.

SHAREESA - Oh that’s nice.

(silence)

CARYN - Ok Gregg, I guess I will call you later and get that assignment from you.

GREGG - Huh?

CARYN - Our assignment. For class.

GREGG - Oh, oh yeah. Assignment, right. Class. Yeah, call me and get the assignment, for class.

(CARYN shakes her head.)

CARYN - It was nice meeting you Shareesa and Gina.

SHAREESA - You too. Take care.

(SHAREESA and GINA sit down. CARYN walks toward the door.)

GREGG - Let me get the door for you.

(GREGG opens the door and CARYN steps into the hall.)

GREGG - Thanks.

CARYN - Whatever. It aint like I want you to be my man and shit. So I aint got no reason to fight some girl over you. But you will acknowledge this baby.

GREGG - We’ll talk about that later.

CARYN - Whatever you say daddy.

(GREGG closes the door.)

GREGG thinks - One down, one to go. I gotta get Gina out of here!

(GREGG comes back in the room and sees SHAREESA and GINA talking on the couch.)

GREGG thinks - Ok nupe, think fast!

GREGG - So Gina, what brings you by?

GINA - I decided to walk with Shareesa because we were walking the same direction from campus. We just crossed our girls.

GREGG - Oh yeah, that is great.

GINA - So anyway, we decided to walk together and we started to chit chat. You know, girl, soror, talk.

GREGG thinks - Oh shit.

GINA - Interesting information too.

(SHAREESA is staring at GREGG. GREGG is playing it off.)

GREGG - Yeah, that’s cool. I’m sure you two have a lot in common. Being sorors and all.

SHAREESA - Yeah, we got a lot in common all right. We were both asked out by you!

GREGG - What?

SHAREESA - Don't what me! Gina told me how you bumped into her and tried to play mister smooth by the elevator.

GREGG - Shareesa, I knocked the girl over. I felt bad and I asked her if she was ok. What's wrong with that?

GINA - Gregg, you never told me you had a girlfriend.

GREGG - You never asked. And I also never made at move at you, I never did anything to you, I have never called you. If anything, you have flirted with me and I played it off.

GREGG thinks - Wow, that was good!

GINA - So you're gonna turn it around like you didn’t come on to me.

GREGG - Gina honey, if that is the impression that you got from me, then I sincerely apologize. But by no means am I trying to kick it with you like that. I was being nice because I knocked you down. You should be more careful in your perceptions.

GINA - I am careful in my perceptions and I’m not stupid.

(GINA gets up to leave.)

GINA - Soror, don’t be stupid either. I’m out.

(GINA walks toward the door. SHAREESA is staring at GREGG as they hear the door open and close.)

GREGG - What the hell was that all about?

(SHAREESA is silent.)

GREGG - Shareece, when are you ever gonna trust me? I mean damn! You believe any shit that anybody comes and tells you before you even speak to me about it. You don’t even know this Gina chick but the minute she says some stupid shit about me, you run and believe it!

SHAREESA - What do you expect me to do? First PJ, now this Gina soror.

GREGG - They are all jealous because you got a good man! When are you gonna realize that? Huh?

(GREGG raises his voice.)

GREGG - I’m tired of this shit! You know what? Fuck it, if you can’t learn to trust me, then maybe we need a little space.

(silence)

SHAREESA - What did you say?

GREGG thinks - I hope this works.

GREGG - I think you need to explain to me why you can’t ever trust me! If you can’t do that, then we need some time apart!

SHAREESA - Ok fine! But first, explain to me what this father's day card from Nino means. If you can’t do that motherfucker, then you’ll get your time apart!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APRIL stops in her tracks as she witnesses JUNE and DERRICK hugging outside. She turns around and goes back in to where the Sorors are with the new AKA’s.

PJ thinks - Oh God, Derrick.

JUNE - How did you know that we would be crossing tonight? And how did you know where to find us?

DERRICK - I have been following you around for a while. I have been extremely concerned with you and all that you have been going through. I have missed you a lot June. And basically, I want to ask you if it is at all possible...

(PJ steps in and cuts DERRICK off.)

PJ - Hi Derrick.

DERRICK - Oh, hey Presjina. Congratulations.

PJ smiling - Thanks. Sorry to interrupt, but June, we have to get back inside.

(PJ looks at JUNE.)

JUNE - Oh ok sure. Listen Derrick, we will talk ok? And thanks for the flowers.

DERRICK - No problem, my pleasure. And congratulations again. I knew you could do it baby.

(JUNE smiles as she turns to go back inside with PJ.)

JUNE - Oh my God, how did he know where we were and that we were crossing tonight?

PJ - I don’t know but don’t get caught up girl. Remember he was dating April not too long ago.

JUNE - Yeah...I know.

(silence)

PJ - But we got some gifts to get...soror.

JUNE - Yeah, soror. Wow, I can’t believe it!

(PJ and JUNE hug.)

JUNE - PJ, I love you so much. You have been everything to me. You and Katrice.

PJ - I love you too June. I always will.

(As they get inside, many of the Sorors are giving gifts to KATRICE and MONA. SYLVIA makes an announcement.)

SYLVIA - Sorors, if I can have your attention please. It is customary at Ahpla for the current and active chapter members to convene for a few minutes with the newly inducted ladies. This is where we say a few encouraging words to them and basically have a good cry.

(The Sorors laugh.)

SYLVIA - So if you will excuse us for a few moments, could all the current and active sorors here on campus please join us in the back room? Thank you.

SHAREESA - I’m going to head out now. I gotta take care of some things with Gregg.

MAX - Ok girl. I will call you tonight. I gotta fill you in. This has been a crazy year.

SHAREESA - Ok well don’t forget to call. I am dying to know. I will be at Gregg's.

GINA - Soror are you leaving? Maybe we can walk together?

SHAREESA - Sure. Let's go.

(SHAREESA and GINA leave together. SYLVIA, MAX, APRIL, OCTAVIA, JUNE, KATRICE, PRESJINA and MONA go into a different room from the rest of the Sorors.)

SYLVIA - Ok Sorors. Congratulations and welcome to our home, our beloved sisterhood, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority incorporated.

KATRICE - Skeewee!

(Everyone laughs.)

SYLVIA - I see you don’t need any practice with your skee wee! You have already perfected it! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

MAX - Ok Sorors. This is when we customarily give out the line names that you all have been dying to know.

JUNE - I know I am.

MAX - Well here they are. It took a lot of thought from many Sorors in the chapter. But wear them with pride.

(PJ glances over at MONA who is smiling.)

MAX - First Katrice. Soror Katrice, on line you really came through in tight situations for your line sisters. You were the relief. Your line name is Soothesayer. That was the person in greek mythology who spread the word from the gods. They came at just the right times and said just the right things. And when situations looked desperate, the soothesayer brought much relief.

KATRICE - Yes! I love that!

MAX - For your alias, or your second name, I will let April explain that because she thought of it. April.

APRIL - Your alias is Invisible Life. I thought of that because you were a real...surprise to us. We didn’t know you had it in you at times. So it seemed like you were guarding this other life that came out later on.

KATRICE - I was. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

(The Sorors laugh.)

KATRICE smiling - Thank you Soror April.

APRIL - Your very welcome.

(KATRICE looks at APRIL and smiles again. APRIL smiles back, then turns away.)

MAX - Next up is June. June, you must have been there when the sorority was founded! You know so much history girl!

MONA - Yeah she does, ha ha ha ha ha.

(silence)

MAX - Anyway...June your line name is Omniscience. Someone who is omniscient knows a lot. They retain and give knowledge. Very knowledgeable about relevant information, and you are a walking history book.

(The Sorors laugh. JUNE smiles a big smile.)

MAX - Always stay that way Soror June. It will be Sorors like you who will help the sorority move forward because of remembering where we came from.

JUNE - Oh thank you, thank you so much!

(JUNE tears up.)

MAX - I was wondering which one would cry first. Ha ha ha ha.

JUNE - I’m sorry, I just like that name so much. It really fits.

MAX - I'll let Octavia give you your second name. Octavia.

OCTAVIA - To my spec, that I love, I passed down my name. So I give you Akademics two. You are as serious as a student as I am. And not just a student in school work. But life. I had to pass it on to you.

JUNE - Thank you spec!

(JUNE gets up and hugs OCTAVIA.)

MAX - Let me keep going before I get teary eyed myself. Ok, Presjina. PJ you are a rock. You are the foundation of this line. You really stepped up and proved your undying love and committment to this sorority, this process and this chapter. You stuck your neck out for all of us, your line sisters as well as your big sisters. Your line name is Perserverence.

(PJ smiles.)

APRIL - Yeah PJ girl! Skeewee Soror!

MAX - Your alias is Miriam. Miriam in biblical days was Moses’ sister. She was the one who placed him in the basket and watched over him until she knew he was safe. She then watched him as he grew and knew all there was to know about him. Her committment to sisterhood is unmatched anywhere in history. No one knows your line sisters like you do. No one stuck up the way you did. No one risked it all in the name of true sisterhood like you. You understand the concept of one for all and all for one. We all hope to learn from your lessons of deep sisterhood that you have portrayed on line. Congratulations.

(Some of the Sorors clap for PJ.)

PJ - Thank you, thank you my sisters! Thank you dean.

MAX - And lastly...Mona.

(The Sorors' smiles for PJ quickly fade. MONA smiles as she listens attentively.)

MAX - Mona, your name is...

(PJ looks at MONA with disgust and turns away.)

MAX - ...Paper Wait.

(APRIL snickers.)

MONA - Oh really! I love that! Thank you so much! That will look so good on this...

(MONA reaches amongst her gifts and pulls out a large suit back. She unzips it and gets up to put on her jacket.)

MONA - That will look so nice on this...don’t you all think?

(The Sorors are in shock as MONA’s puts on her jacket. SYLVIA looks at MAX who looks back at her.)

MONA - Well...what do you think?

(silence)

PJ - Fuck that!

(PJ jumps out of her chair and grabs MONA by her jacket. She swings MONA around wildly until the jacket flies off her. MONA falls on the floor. Everyone is in shock.)

PJ - You will never wear this! You will never wear my letters!

(PJ jumps on MONA and slaps her.)

APRIL - Oh shit!

(APRIL jumps on PJ to pull her off MONA. APRIL tries to punch MONA in the process. All the Sorors jump in when they realize what has just happened. They separate PJ and MONA and hold PJ back.)

PJ - If I ever see you in my letters again I will rip it off you and beat your ass again!

No comments: